Sapphire Auction

Todd A.

Sapphire Auction
« on: 31 Jan 2005, 10:28 pm »
I just want to say that I'm very glad that the Sapphire auction for tsunami relief is being re-run. It seems that some people are unclear on the concept behind the whole thing. Kudos, Mike.

Todd A.
"Still crazy after all these years"

rosconey

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2005, 11:00 pm »
something fishy  :nono: its a charity for goodness sakes

BradJudy

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2005, 11:33 pm »
I will chime in here as it was my suggestion to rerun the auction.  I was given the option of purchasing these speakers at the ending price of $811 at the third highest bidder (the first two backed out).  While I would have been very happy to take them for this great price, we all know they should have gone for more and I suggested re-auctioning them in the best interests of the cause.  Hopefully they will get a proper bid and the charity will benefit from the re-auction.

Brad

BradJudy

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2005, 11:49 pm »
I just read the new auction listing (and bid).  I wanted to note that I don't think ALL of the bidders misbehaved.  :)

Mike Dzurko

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2005, 02:09 pm »
Here's the link:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc_ch.pl?charity&1107788687

Note, this time the winner has the choice of three different finishes:

-Black Oak (already built and ready to ship)
-Clear Oak (about a week lead time)
-Walnut (about a week lead time)

I might add that I'm personally happy to see these charity auctions now on the front page of Audiogon and getting the exposure they deserve.

BradJudy

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2005, 02:58 pm »
Mike,

I'm guessing the sub-set of finishes means that you're down to the last of the Sapphire 25ths?  If that's true, I'm guessing it won't be long before they are gone for good.

Mike Dzurko

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2005, 05:11 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
Mike,

I'm guessing the sub-set of finishes means that you're down to the last of the Sapphire 25ths?  If that's true, I'm guessing it won't be long before they are gone for good.

Brad:

You're close :)  We actually have quite a few Sapphire 25th Anniversary cabinets in stock as well as a pretty good supply of wood panels.  I don't know if this inventory will last us until the XL cabinets arrive.

You bring up a good point though. Inevitably, whenever we update models, some people get upset because they can no longer purchase the previous model. It may be because of a certain appearance they wanted, the sound they were after, or matching into an existing system. So, to those people who are planning on purchasing the 25th Anniversary Sapphires, do NOT wait too long and be disappointed. The first place I'd go right now would be the auction:  you're likely to save some money and help a very worthy cause.

BradJudy

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2005, 07:29 pm »
Thanks for the info Mike.  I was partially asking because cherry is my favorite wood and wasn't on the list.  (And to give you an excuse to make the point you made - you picked up on the cue well :D )

BTW: Does your avatar indicate your favorite product in the line-up? (I know, it's mean to ask a 'dad'  to play favorites.) :)

Mike Dzurko

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2005, 10:59 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
Thanks for the info Mike.  I was partially asking because cherry is my favorite wood and wasn't on the list.  (And to give you an excuse to make the point you made - you picked up on the cue well :D )

BTW: Does your avatar indicate your favorite product in the line-up? (I know, it's mean to ask a 'dad'  to play favorites.) :)

Actually I just change the avatar whenever I get around to it. I think I've had the Maestro, Titan, Emerald ON-Wall . . . I love all my kids :)

Groch

THANKS Mike!
« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2005, 03:10 pm »
I am the fortunate winner of a truly beautiful pair of Walnut Sapphires from the auction.   They arrived last night, in perfect shape, no surprise due to the  double boxing (I do not think the UPS guy who carried it was all that thrilled).

Your generocity aided the recovery from an almost unparalleled disaster. It was no small contribution from a small businessman.  

It also enabled me to justify the purchase of a much nicer set of loudspeakers than I would have for the application, and become a first time ACI owner.  The Sapphires are currently being broken in, but I can already tell they are a very fine product.   I also own a pair of KEF Reference 201 speakers in my primary system.  About the same size, but more than twice the price and with a very dissimilar design.  Once these are broken in I will report back with a comparison.     Thanks again.   George Roch

Eric

Sapphire Auction
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2005, 07:54 pm »
George,

That is wonderful. I won my first set of jags in the auction for 9/11 victims. Please keep us posted as to your impressions as the speakers break in

Mike Dzurko

Re: THANKS Mike!
« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2005, 02:00 am »
Quote from: Groch
I am the fortunate winner of a truly beautiful pair of Walnut Sapphires from the auction.   They arrived last night, in perfect shape, no surprise due to the  double boxing (I do not think the UPS guy who carried it was all that thrilled).

Your generocity aided the recovery from an almost unparalleled disaster. It was no small contribution from a small businessman.  

It also enabled me to justify the purchase of a much nicer set of loudspeakers than I would have for the application, and become a first ...

George:

Thank YOU. This is a terrific situation; you were able to purchase a great set of speakers and making that purchase helped people who really need help, maybe even saved lives! It has been my pleasure . . . please do let us know your impressions as they break in, and, as you have time.  BTW, we like to give our UPS pickup folks a hard time "they'd be smaller and lighter packages if we knew you'd treat them right".