NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!

klaus@odyssey

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:24 pm »
OK,  prototyping goes nicely (somewhat),  and it looks save for the Montreal show,  having to finish the 2 new babies next week.

Anyway,  Here they are:

1.  The Odyssey Khartago amplifier.
The Stratos is actually an overbuild SL  RG 11,  which used to be $ 3400.  So,  with the new amp we'll go back to a more minimalist case,(but still with brushed anodized, laser engraved front plates)  internal heatsinks,  and less power supply.  The amp is still the Stratos,  same board and outputs,  but restricted to about 110 W.  Cost ???  $  750.  

2.  The Odyssey ???  passive / HT integration  pre amp.
Also full case,  18 " brushed anodized, laser engraved with the 2 big knobs from the Tempest.  It's a passive unit utilizing the Tempest / SL  parts bin.
  We're using the Alps potentiometers, and of course,  all Groneberg wires and the Groneberg hi-tech solder.
Anyway,  yes,  you can use it as a pre only,  with 3 inputs,  BUT  I really intend it as the perfect pre - gizmo for any HT integration system that uses a HT receiver.   The main thing here is the AV  bypass.
So,  you'll be able to run a really nice pre amp for CD music only in your HT system.  The actual sound I'm getting from the passive unit right now is nice,  very nice.  We'll also have it with an optional remote (same top of the line as with the Tempest)  for an additional $ 150.  or so.

Anyway,  the so far nameless HT BP / Passive pre amp's cost is :  $ 275.

What do you think ???

Late,
Klaus

klaus@odyssey

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:37 pm »
Forgot:  availability around end of May.

Ferdi

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:40 pm »
That sounds very interesting!

I already have a regular Stratos but the passive pre sounds like an interesting solution as I suspect it will be a much better pre than my AV Receiver.

Klaus, do you think my Sony CDP77ES will be able to drive the Stratos with the passive?
How do you expect this to compare with the Tempest soundwise?

It doesn't look like I'll be going to the US so voltage for any new equipment shouldn't be an issue.... :D  :( ...... :?

Eduardo AAVM

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:49 pm »
Those are GREAT news ¡¡¡¡

I really like the Karthago amplifier name, are you making any reference to a historic fact ?

Ad the other product well it must be well received, at least by me...

Good luck and congratulations to all of you Odyssey people...

Eduardo AAVM

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2003, 12:12 am »
The questions are getting in ...

How much do they weight Klaus ?

ton1313

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2003, 12:41 am »
Will the new amp sound similar to the present stereo stratos? Any plans for a multichannel unit (Hopefully 5!!)?

jcoat007

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2003, 01:30 am »
I would love to try out the ??? passive / HT integration pre amp.  

Sign me up for one with a remote.  

That is exactly what I need and the price is right.  

Nice goin Klaus.    :beer:  

Now get to work on my Extremes so I can start doin this :dance:

jcoat007

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2003, 02:07 am »
Anyone using a smART or Mensa DI/O with a passive?

Marbles

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2003, 02:11 am »
I have a Mensa with a Bent 102, but a transformer based passive is a bit different then a normal passive.

I tried the smART with the FT Audio LW-1 at marblefest with the DM and it was very good.

drphoto

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2003, 05:07 am »
Sounds like a new photo shoot! :D

Marbles

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2003, 05:22 am »
Greedy bastard!  :P

I had a chance to stop by Klaus's today.  Actually I was in Indy this morning on business, then I went to an audio store.  They had some Genisis 500 speakers in a back room I asked to be set up and they told me to come back in an hour.

I went to get some lunch but saw "Indy CD and Vinyl" 1.5 hours and 40 LP's later I went back and the speakers still weren't set up.

Since I was only about 10 minutes from Klaus and I had picked up Grand Funk Live! I decided to see how Klaus was doing.

I gave him the LP and he said he already had 3 copies!!!

Anyway I got a chance to see the small SL turntable and also talk to Rolf Gemein on the phone!! He is a very nice guy and his English is much better than my German!

I also got a chance to see the full Oak wrap Lorelies.  They are really beautiful.  If you ever get a chance to put them in your system, I think they would be about perfect for you.

listener_111

How is the new pre in comparison with tempest ?
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2003, 09:41 am »
Hi Klaus,

How is the combination especially passive preamp in comparison with
stratos with 120K upgrade and tempest ? Do they have same type of warrenty ?

Thanks,

Listener_111

drphoto

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2003, 05:21 am »
Greedy bastard? I just want some new speaks. Hey Peter says he pays $5K a day for his photos.....I work cheap.

Mad DOg

Re: NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2003, 02:07 am »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
...What do you think ???...

Methinks that I'm definitely interested in the passive preamp!!! that sounds awesome especially at the price you've mentioned!

Eric D

Re: NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2003, 04:55 pm »
This subject just got me to register here.  Just to add a mee-too [sic], I'm very interested in the preamp.  

I don't spend a lot of time following audio electronics, but I'm in the process of making a hybrid 2-channel/HT system by adding a used Stratos between my HT receiver and the speakers.  Before I read this subject, I had started asking around about that kind of "pre-gizmo".   Seriously, just yesterday I'd been googling on "preamp" with "HT pass through,"  "processor loop," and variations on that theme.

Quote from: klaus@odyssey

What do you think ???

I think you've found this particular mid-fi-audiophile's sweet spot, that it would look awesome above the Stratos (WAF being a factor), that I plan to stop searching, and that you can probably anticipate another order for black with remote.  The only question is whether the Stratos is going to stay when it gets here, and being the trusting sort and based on the comments I've been reading there's not much doubt of that.

thanks,

Eduardo AAVM

NEW PRODUCTS !!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2003, 05:07 pm »
Maybe a new category is born, if the Khartago + Etesian + Epiphony + Groneberg system can be packaged in one box Klaus has created High End in a Box.

Soundstagelive.com thinks it is a standout room