clean AC recomendations (on the cheap)

nickspicks

« on: 30 Jan 2005, 02:12 pm »
Hi all...
i'm ready to address my AC power.  I"m looking for something that will make a noticable difference (I run a digital amp) ....but not cost a lot of dough.  I"m  also interested in buying used, so if you can recomend...then i'll do the research from there.
thanks.

budget is under $300.

tvyankee

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2005, 03:39 pm »
check this out.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/PANAMAX.html

this seems to be a good deal.

let me know what you think.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2005, 04:32 pm »
On the cheap....mmm... Powervar and OneAC units seem to fit the bill for alot of folks...look into them. Check for used on Agon and Ebay.
    I was able to pick up a small OneAC unit  from AC member byteme. One that he did some mods on. Using it on my cdp and dac....I hear a difference. 8) [/list:u]

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2005, 05:11 pm »
You might consider talking with Chris VenHaus ( info@vhaudio.com ) regarding his VH Audio Hot Box (scroll about midway down the page) with the Auricap filter upgrade option. Depending on the length of cord you need, you just might make it under budget. For customer comments about this product, go here.

Of course, there's always consideration of adding a dedicated 20 amp line or two. If you're a handy homeowner, or have friends with the right skills, you can run the wiring and add the outlet(s), then let an electrician do the tie-in to the main box.

Gordy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2005, 07:02 pm »
Something like this should leave enough headroom for your digi amp...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32830&item=5747370765&rd=1

nickspicks

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2005, 07:37 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
You might consider talking with Chris VenHaus ( info@vhaudio.com ) regarding his VH Audio Hot Box (scroll about midway down the page) with the Auricap filter upgrade option. Depending on the length of cord you need, you just might make it under budget. For customer comments about this product, go here.

Of course, there's always consideration of adding a dedicated 20 amp line or two. If you're a handy homeowner,  ...

wow...what a great DIY resource page!
thanks for that link.  Im going to try and make those power cords.

rbrb

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2005, 12:21 am »
I have been using two Middle Atlantic PD-915R power bars. Chosen only because of price and surge and spike protection.  Recently I have had the opportunity to try out three different power conditioners in my system.  In certain areas the sound quality did improve but I could not plug my amp into any of them without suffering reduced dynamics.  So back into the Altantic bars my system would go.  The thing that I started to notice was the 915R's really were not not doing any harm or not much anyway.
http://middleatlantic.com/power/rps.htm#pd915r

I have installed a Blue Circle BC86 MKIII into the front sockets on both bars.  I noticed the back groud grew blacker immediately. The system seemed louder only because a layer of the noise had been removed.  I really like expensive tweaks that give performance more than worth their price.  The reduced noise on the line can be measured.  Simple and effective upgrade.
http://bluecircle.com/index.php?menu_id=1755

The weekest link in the whole AC system right now is the captured power cords on the power bars.  I picked up a 10 gauge BC62 for the bar that I have my amp and pre/pro connected to and a 14 gauge BC61 for the bar that feeds AC to my digital sources.  Still waiting for Furutech rodium IEC AC male inlet that justs fit on the back of the bar.  I am sure the sound will improve dramatically with the new power cords.  Of course any cable or high quality power bar will work.  The rest of my system is done with DHLabs Power Plus with Wattgate/Hubbell connectors.

I know that power conditioning works I just have not yet found the one that totally floats my boat but it's coming.  I just can't stop thinking about power conditioning without thinking about it as a necessary "evil".  This was a inexpensive way for me to add conditioning to my system.  I chose to make it as passive as possible.  The most important thing for me is to to have power conditioning that does no harm in any way yet reduce noise on the AC line and protect from surges and spikes.  I also wanted to keep it really simple. Seems to work well.

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2005, 12:30 am »
Quote from: nickspicks
wow...what a great DIY resource page!
thanks for that link.  Im going to try and make those power cords.

Glad to help. If you liked that, Chris VenHaus also has this page.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2005, 03:35 am »
Nick,

Run a dedicated line from your main box....most electricians charge $200-250 or so to do it.  Especially worthwhile if you own your own home; not quite as cost effective for you if you rent.

With the extra $50-100, get a decent power cord for your Sony.

Then there is this option from www.DIYCable.com for 167 measly ones...Kevin, the owner, is a class act; bet this is one of the better choices for this kinda' money.

Digi amps BEG for good power conditioning - you'll likely be even more happy with your Sony afterwards..

nickspicks

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2005, 11:43 am »
I've considered the dedicated line for the AV center.  As it currently works, the entire room is on one circuit.  thats all the stereo stuff, plus two lamps.  thats it.
Also, i'm one of two houses running off of the transformer on the pole at the end of my driveway.  I live way out in the woods, so I dont get much signal interference I would guess....

I'm really just looking for a one stop box that will give me good surge protection and a clean signal.  For the money..i'm looking at the cheaper Monster AC boxes.  I've not heard of anyone being dissapointed with them.

the "hotbox" looks interesting as well.
Plus, i'd like to build 3 DIY AC cords.

dave_c

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2005, 04:03 pm »
I'm using a Powervar Isolation Transformer.  Similar to the OneAC.  The come in sized up to 12 amps which should be more than enough for the receiver and a dvd player.  Don't overdraw on them or they will start buzzing.  I think great upgrade for the money and people are always looking to pick them up if you decide to resell.

I think they are good for mods too.  Haven't tried it myself, but I don't think there any PCB's, just wiring and a transformer.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2005, 04:44 pm »
Nick,

I have the Monster Cable PowerBar 1100 (I think it was $149 or so at Best Buy two year's ago).  I think it works quite well on my modest video system, but for that kinda' money again I'd buy DIYAudio's Jon Risch reciped conditioner.

Anyhow, whatever improvement you make, it'll likely benefit your Sony greater than you thought possible.

Ciao  :)

byteme

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2005, 04:51 pm »
Quote from: dave_c
I'm using a Powervar Isolation Transformer.  Similar to the OneAC.  The come in sized up to 12 amps which should be more than enough for the receiver and a dvd player.  Don't overdraw on them or they will start buzzing.  I think great upgrade for the money and people are always looking to pick them up if you decide to resell.

I think they are good for mods too.  Haven't tried it myself, but I don't think there any PCB's, just wiring and a transformer.

I wouldn't call them PCB's but there are boards in there.  Nothing I ever messed with though.

The beauty part of the Powervar / OneAC IT's is that you can get them dirt cheap, and they help with no tweaks at all.  Then, as funds allow, you can open them up and tweak them up to a very impressive level.  Cryo'd outlets and interal wiring replacement is a big improvement and fairly cheap.  Bypassing the power switch and LED's is free and helpful.  ERS cloth and Dynamat are also very helpful and not that expensive either.  Finally, adding a couple Auricaps the way Chris describes on his web site is the final thing.  One thing I wouldn't do is replace the stock power cord.  I tried that on 4 of mine.  First, it was a huge pain in the ass.  Second, it didn't make any beneficial difference.  Third, it was a pain in the ass.

Other tweaks I tried was to but them on spike feet onto a maple butcher block from Timber Nation.  Also, very helpful!

warnerwh

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2005, 01:13 am »
You'd be much better off with a Oneac or Powervar over the Monster per dollar. For a couple of hundred dollars you can get a pretty good sized one or one large and another small. They are designed for labs in hospitals and business where microelectronics need protection. They are a super bargain and I doubt if anybody has an idea that is better. You can buy a 12 amp powervar off of Audiogon usually for about 240.00 or maybe less on Ebay. These retail for about 1200.00 new and are still in perfect condition.  They will protect from surges, clean EMI and RFI and they also have isolation transformers in them that will isolate your equipment from anything else on the line.  They aren't as pretty as a Monster or other fashionable power conditioner but they do their job as good or better(better unless you spend over a grand).

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2005, 01:18 am »
Occam hasn't yet spilled the beans to all about his Sarah Lee approach to power conditioning, but I suspect it won't be too hard to do a good job at cleaning up the power without a lot of dough.

Occam

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2005, 05:10 am »
No beans to spill. The technologies are quite well known. The trick is get the appropriate components at the right price.

While this is not inexpensive it represents tremendous comparitive value -
http://www.equitech.com/products/seconds/seconds.html

and I've not bought one as my wife has demanded the relocation of the audio system to the living room and forbids large boxes.....

At $399 for 1.5kva balancing transformer, softstart switchon current of 2.4amps, including very utilitarian chassis, its actually a bit more expensive than a similarly rated Plitron. But they are not the same, size (and iron and copper) matters -
http://home.comcast.net/~thomasw_2/CheapskateBP7.html

nickspicks

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2005, 11:49 am »

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2005, 01:55 pm »
I am far from an authority on these things, but I would steer clear of your first link - it is only 1 amp, and I suspect that to treat more than 1 item in your system, you will need a larger one.

I would recommend something in the 6-12 amp range, to treat an entire system.

Now, that would be treating the whole system with one of those units - I have a 2 amp unit that I use on my transport, and DAC sometimes, I am not certain how best to implement the device.

That all said, the more I read about balanced power conditioning, with isolation included, the more interested I become... despite the associated costs.  That link above that outlines 3 different projects is interesting, if you are comfortable with AC device construction!

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
cheap solutions
« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2005, 03:00 pm »
I own a Sony 9000ES digital receiver.  Digital amps love balanced power, below are some cheap items that offer you that type of solution..

Really cheap:  find a used Topaz Isolation transformer with multiple taps.  Wire it for balanced power.  Be sure to get a large enough wattage unit however, you want lots of headroom.

Somewhat cheap: Buy a used BP unit on audiogon.  They come up on occasion.

Gordy

« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2005, 03:13 pm »
My rule of thumb for Oneac's is to bid no more than $10 per amp plus $5.  Plus shipping, of course.  You'll want to leave at least 40% head room on your max amps needed as well.  That  CBS 1120 @ 20a would do very nicely if you could pick it up!  With only four outlets you won't be tempted to add too much.  Maybe pick up a seperate 3 to 5a for digital...

HTH...