Rega P3 - Garrott P77 setting

Adinoto

« on: 30 Jan 2005, 03:39 am »
Hi,
I just set my P3 - Garrott P77 turntable. The sound is realy good, but I notice that I miss some treble (compare to CD) . Also the right channel slighly louder than the other channel. Not much but I notice the singer is slightly to the right.
I use 2mm Rega shim on the RB300 - Icognito wired. Tracking force 1.7-1.8g.

Thanks for your comments and help

Regards
Had

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2005, 12:59 pm »
I have a Rega arm, but my turntable allows VTA adjustment without use of the shims.  If you could get a "tail up" VTA, it would increase treble; in your case, this would mean adding more or thicker shims (I understand this isn't an easy task with the Rega).

As to the channel imbalance, it MIGHT be a slight problem in the cartridge (or elsewhere).  Try switching the RCA's (left to right/right to left) going to the phono stage; if the vocalist moves left, it's the cartridge or arm setup, if the vocalist is still right, it's the phono stage (or maybe something else).

If the problem is definitely the cartridge/arm, you might have the anti-skating set wrong so that the stylus is pushed too much against the inner or outer groove (I can never remember if the inner groove or outer groove is the left/right channel). Another possibility is that the azimuth is slightly off, again emphasizing one side of the groove more than the other.

Don't take anything I've said as gospel, since it's impossible to diagnose a problem long distance.

audiochef

off balance
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2005, 05:35 pm »
In my experience Regas magnetic anti skating is too strong .

For instance on my v15, I,d love to track at 1g, but left side slightly mistraces.

To compensate, I have to set VTA at 1.3

If set up right, the p3 with alively phono stage and good cartridge of course.

It's a real serious TT.

I would'nt trade it for my buddies $3000.00 Acoustic signature w/Benz ref silver.

Tweak, Tweak and TWEAK