which amp?

stefd

which amp?
« on: 28 Mar 2019, 08:14 pm »
Hi,
I am building a brand new system. I will listen to digital music from NAS or online exclusively.
I am setting a  budget goal of 5k for the amp alone. I will later on get pre amp, dac, speakers and other goodies.
My room is 14x35 with 10 - 15 feet slanted ceilings. My listening couch  will be about 7 feet from the speakers.

I have been listening to many amps in the 5-10k range like naim, luxman, prima luna, wells audio to name a few and I like them all.
I also listened to Linn, parasound and didnt like so much. too bright and thin.

All that being said, I have read quite a bit about AVA amps and I would really want to give it a shot before committing.

From a speakers perspective, a like PMC, proac but I really want to also try open baffle like m3 turbo (or x5)  or PAP because they would look really cool in my space.

I have a few amp options for my budget:
600R or 400r
600 mono x2

Now beside the sound difference between hybrid and ss, is there anything else I should consider that would make the decision go one way or another or should I try both at home?
Would 2x mono vs stereo amp make a huge difference in sound?

And yes, same question about AVA pre amp :)

I am new to this, so looking for some guidance before I splurge some cash on this.
Thanks in Advance
Stef

JackD

Re: which amp?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2019, 11:50 pm »
That group of speakers you just listed go from one end of the spectrum to the other so it makes it hard for anyone to make an appropriate recommendation as you go from power hungry PMC on one end to easy to drive Spatial X5 with powered bass module.  The others are somewhat in the middle and yes even the M3 variants need a lot more power than their specs indicate.  So if you want us to just assume you are going to decide on the "worst case scenario" PMC's then the SET 600's and the Fet Valve CFR.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2019, 12:01 am »
That group of speakers you just listed go from one end of the spectrum to the other so it makes it hard for anyone to make an appropriate recommendation as you go from power hungry PMC on one end to easy to drive Spatial X5 with powered bass module.  The others are somewhat in the middle and yes even the M3 variants need a lot more power than their specs indicate.  So if you want us to just assume you are going to decide on the "worst case scenario" PMC's then the SET 600's and the Fet Valve CFR.

Agree.  When in doubt, always go more power.  Speakers generally get damaged by underpowered amps that were overdriven. 

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2019, 07:31 pm »
Our DVA SET 600 mono amps and our Fet Valve CFR vacuum tube preamp will give you the sound you are looking for.

The price for the three pieces is $7297 and will have more power, dynamic range, transparency and better reproduction of real live sound than you can imagine.

Check out this new review:

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2018/10/13/audio-by-van-alstine-dva-set-600-mono-block-amplifier

Note that we are running very busy and our lead times have crept out to six weeks.  Call us at 651-330-9871 to order.  Ordering directly on our web site wants payment right away, and this is fine for things we can build and ship within a few days.  However when we are really swamped with new orders, and we don't want to take your money when we can't deliver at once, a web order is not the best choice.  Call us with your contact info and credit card info, but we will not charge your credit card until we are ready to ship.

Frank

Birdbrain

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2019, 09:46 pm »
Not trying to take money out of Frank's pocket, but if you go with the Spatial X5s, a Vision SET 120 will provide all the power you'd need, and be running in Class A most of the time.

stefd

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2019, 11:55 pm »
Not trying to take money out of Frank's pocket, but if you go with the Spatial X5s, a Vision SET 120 will provide all the power you'd need, and be running in Class A most of the time.

Sounds like the ideal would be to a/b test the 120, the 400 and the 600 monos with both m3 and  X5 .
If I dont go with open baffle , then I'll most probably try the 600 monos but still need to zero in on a good set of full size speakers < 10k .
Any speakers suggestion to go with AVA amps?

Birdbrain

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2019, 02:53 am »
Sounds like the ideal would be to a/b test the 120, the 400 and the 600 monos with both m3 and  X5 .
If I dont go with open baffle , then I'll most probably try the 600 monos but still need to zero in on a good set of full size speakers < 10k .
Any speakers suggestion to go with AVA amps?

I'm using the Vision SET 120 amp and Transcendence 10 SLR preamp with Spatial Audio M3 Triode Master speakers. Frank says the 120 is probably putting out around 50w/ channel into the Spatial's 12 ohm load. It all sounds fantastic, with way more than enough power. Still, you should probably get the 600 monoblocks, just to be on the safe side.  :)

Leifer

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2019, 07:34 am »
Do you listen to high SPL levels ?
 How often ?
My personal opinion is that too much amps/horsepower is usually not needed.
But everyone's situation is different.

I had (have, in storage) a pair of Muse 175  monoblock amps, and blew a couple of woofers in my System Audio 1270 speakers (when listening to a audiophile test-tone CD).
I learned to not push speakers to their (quoted) limits, just to pride myself in their "stated" ability.

For me, what's important is the ability to play quality music at realistic listening levels...for perhaps  hours and hours, without ear fatigue or fatigue on the amps (over heating).
Many speakers have the "Goldilocks Effect", meaning they sound best not at their lowest volume, nor their highest, but somewhere in the middle. Depends on the speakers rather than the amp, is what I'm saying.
 Obviously, it is best to overpower the amp a little bit to avoid any potential clipping  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio). But excessive amp power does not necessarily mean "better sound"..... in my experience.

It's like buying a car with a gas-guzzling 550 hp motor, and driving it sanely to work and back.....It's just excess and extra $$. Good for the ego -- bad for the pocketbook.
Would I like to own a pair of Alstine's mono high power amps ? Sure....but I'd rarely use them to their full potential. I'd rather spend some money wisely, and invest in "room treatment" products...which will change the "sound" more than any amp could aspire to. There's a reason recording studios are filled with room treatments.

But hey, if you don't have neighbors or a sensitive wife or pet (meow, woof)... and you like to shake the windows..... go for what you need !!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2019, 02:53 pm »
I reviewed the SET 120 and the 600R and I have heard the 600R mono's at Franks place. All are great sounding amps but I prefer the R series, especially the Mono's.  The SET and R series amps definitely sound different.

I also had a pair of Spacial M3's for a week. They appreciated  the 500wpc of my Pass amp.  Effortless at louder volumes, improved dynamics. :D

aln

600R mono’s
« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2019, 11:14 pm »
I didn’t know Frank had the 600r as mono’s.

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2019, 11:43 pm »
We just built a pair of DVA SET 600 mono amps to use at AXPONA the weekend of April 12th.

Larry, they are available for you to audition either here or at home this weekend.

They are really something else!

This pair have both RCA and XLR inputs.

Give me a call.

Frank

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2019, 01:37 am »
Frank, we are  just nearing the end of a major remodel and the house is dusty.  We are leaving for vacation Saturday but will be back the following weekend.  I will get back with you then.

Larry

tonyptony

« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2019, 12:40 pm »
I reviewed the SET 120 and the 600R and I have heard the 600R mono's at Franks place. All are great sounding amps but I prefer the R series, especially the Mono's.  The SET and R series amps definitely sound different.

I also had a pair of Spacial M3's for a week. They appreciated  the 500wpc of my Pass amp.  Effortless at louder volumes, improved dynamics. :D

Larry, I'd be very interested in getting your take on the sound of the SET vs. the 600R (both stereo and mono). Which Pass do you have? I'd like to get your take on that, too, in comparison to the 600R. If you think that would take us too far OT, you can PM me with that part.

Frank, I'll see you at AXPONA. Looking forward to hearing those monos!