New member from Canada

hbs187

New member from Canada
« on: 28 Mar 2019, 09:55 am »
Hello from Canada, Harry here. I have been reading the forums for a while, but haven't posted until now. I have messed about with guitar amps and pa systems for some time. I have always had an interest in AV, and I am here for home theatre speaker recommendations.

while I was looking for a 5.1 system from a big box store, I was reading online and came across DIY kits. I am a noob so work with me.

A company called CSS seems provides kits that seem fairly fool proof and provide great value (according to reviews)

The options for a 5.1 system from them that I had in mind were:

1)

5 x CSS P215 (satellites)

specs at css-audio | SHOP

Approx: $1600 CAD

OR

2)

3 x CSS Criton 2TD (LCR)
2 x CSS Criton 1TD (surrounds)
With subwoofer.

Approx:
$2300 CAD

Will this type of speaker perform well in a 70% TV/Movie 30% music environment? or are these speakers geared towards music? Do they provide good value? Are there any other recommendations that are perhaps more accessible to Canadian customers?

My dedicated room is 20'x15' with 9' ceilings and a hallway opening (it is not permanent, but at least for the next 2 years). I don't really have a set budget, I just look purely for value to an extent

Thanks for your time. If this belongs in a different forum, I will repost.

Thanks guys!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member from Canada
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2019, 01:52 pm »
Welcome hbs187 :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2019, 02:29 pm »
Welcome!

I own a kit built CSS sealed sub (SD X10 XBL^2 10 inch woofer and SD300 plate amp).  Very musical, but not up to the deep bass, high volume challenges of HT.

Visited Kerry last year after company was bought and relocated to Michigan (unfortunately for you from Canada).  Got to audition his P215 and Criton T10 monitors along with SXD12 sub with passive radiators.  Don't bother with the P215, while nice it pales compared to the slightly larger and more expensive Criton T10.  This sub was HT ready.  BTW not a MTM fan, so would recommend (5) Criton T10's with a SXD12 sub for your HT/audio use.

The kits are so cool.  Crossover boards are made from molded solid plastic, you can barely go wrong assembling the crossovers without even reading directions.  Once you see them you'll wonder why every kit vendor doesn't do it this way.  Cabinets are CNC cut and extremely precise.  Well worth the money.  Not so sure about their crossover upgrades.

Another option is Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE.  Have owned them for 18 years, very musical and perfectly suited for HT, they image like crazy, have superior mid-bass body compared to 'modern' monitors. but have a very cheap vinyl finish (money has gone inside).  About 1/3rd the price of the Criton T10 and no assemble/finishing required.  If you want MTM, Ascend Acoustics offers that too and direct purchase option of very nice Rythmik subs.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2019, 02:44 pm »
Welcome to AC!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2019, 03:52 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Harry   :thumb:

hbs187

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2019, 04:40 am »
Welcome!

I own a kit built CSS sealed sub (SD X10 XBL^2 10 inch woofer and SD300 plate amp).  Very musical, but not up to the deep bass, high volume challenges of HT.

Visited Kerry last year after company was bought and relocated to Michigan (unfortunately for you from Canada).  Got to audition his P215 and Criton T10 monitors along with SXD12 sub with passive radiators.  Don't bother with the P215, while nice it pales compared to the slightly larger and more expensive Criton T10.  This sub was HT ready.  BTW not a MTM fan, so would recommend (5) Criton T10's with a SXD12 sub for your HT/audio use.

The kits are so cool.  Crossover boards are made from molded solid plastic, you can barely go wrong assembling the crossovers without even reading directions.  Once you see them you'll wonder why every kit vendor doesn't do it this way.  Cabinets are CNC cut and extremely precise.  Well worth the money.  Not so sure about their crossover upgrades.

Another option is Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE.  Have owned them for 18 years, very musical and perfectly suited for HT, they image like crazy, have superior mid-bass body compared to 'modern' monitors. but have a very cheap vinyl finish (money has gone inside).  About 1/3rd the price of the Criton T10 and no assemble/finishing required.  If you want MTM, Ascend Acoustics offers that too and direct purchase option of very nice Rythmik subs.

Thank you very much the info. Why do you stay away from MTM? Also, they don’t seem to have the criton T10 on the css website. Take a quick peak, I’m assuming that was the older model? Do you mean the criton 1TD? I will check out the ascend acoustics. The price is very affordable.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2019, 09:05 am »
I was told the D´Appolito xover made an MTM have a point source dispersion, this is correct?

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2019, 10:21 am »

Thank you very much the info. Why do you stay away from MTM? Also, they don’t seem to have the criton T10 on the css website. Take a quick peak, I’m assuming that was the older model? Do you mean the criton 1TD? I will check out the ascend acoustics. The price is very affordable.

Yes, the T1D, couldn't tell a "D" from a "0".  Where do all these goofy names come from? 

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2019, 11:26 am »
I was told the D´Appolito xover made an MTM have a point source dispersion, this is correct?

Yes, sort of, but it requires the listener to stay exactly midpoint between the two midrange/bass drivers to avoid interference (such as phase cancelation) between them.  Note that a 2,000 Hz sound wave, roughly where many MTM designs crossover, is 6.6 inches (16.7 cm) long and it only takes a fraction of that to hear the interference.

Attended a private presentation of a $12,000 USD MTM design (well respected around AC, with added woofer) a couple of years ago.  Went forward to take a picture of the group while they were listening and saw heads moving up and down as they were trying to find that exact midpoint.  It was comical to watch, different heights of chairs and listeners, reminded me of the "bop the gofer" arcade game. 

MTM design tries to solve point source challenges while using smaller mid/bass drivers so as to achieve the narrow front baffle look most are after and crossover issues associated with using tweeters with larger mid/woofers.  But the best point source solutions, in order, are single drivers, coincidental drivers, coaxial drivers, and the classic expanding sound source theory (tweeter stacked closely above midrange).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2019, 10:19 pm »
Very interesting tanks bro.