Hola

pechelman

Hola
« on: 12 Mar 2019, 06:42 am »
Hi everyone.
Just joined in the hopes I can learn from the great wealth of information here.
Starting to assemble my first HiFi setup after decades of saying I would but only having headphones. Already have a set of omegas on order.

Phil A

Re: Hola
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2019, 12:06 pm »
Welcome!

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2019, 01:10 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2019, 02:59 pm »
Welcome to the sweet spot. Which Omegas?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2019, 03:03 pm »
Welcome Pechelman :thumb:
You started right with the Omegas.

pechelman

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2019, 05:19 pm »
Welcome to the sweet spot. Which Omegas?

Went for some Junior 8 xrs after speaking with Louis.
Also finally made a decision on an amplifier. On his recommendation, going with a Dennis Had 45 fire bottle. Super excited. Only problem now is waiting for the speakers to show up as their build takes a bit longer.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2019, 11:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC pechelman   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2019, 10:07 am »
Welcome.

Note that 45's can have a very musical, seductive, warm sound while being very low maximum output (less than acoustic concert levels) even for Omegas. 

pechelman

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2019, 02:36 pm »
And many thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

Note that 45's can have a very musical, seductive, warm sound while being very low maximum output (less than acoustic concert levels) even for Omegas.

That's great, because that's what I'm generally expecting. :)

Understand the bit about low levels and that was my concern when I was discussing speakers with Louis and amps with Dennis. Both seemed very confident I'd be very happy given my relatively small room, 98dB/8ohm speakers, and preference for moderate listening levels. Don't own an SPL meter so I can't tell you what that is, but I very much dislike loud music to be honest.

Either way, have another month or so before I get the speakers, and probably another month or two after that? maybe? before they could be considered broken in. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2019, 03:10 pm »
With the Inspire 45 you will few tube choices, not plenty as the Fire Bottle KT88, it have more power too.

pechelman

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2019, 04:52 pm »
With the Inspire 45 you will few tube choices, not plenty as the Fire Bottle KT88, it have more power too.

That was a known going in as well.  On one hand, variety is nice.  On the other, there's a lot to be said for simplicity and fewer options....and fewer potential tubes to buy to play with rolling.  I had really thought Dennis would nudge me to the Firebottle KT88/KT66/etc compatible amp for power but he was very certain about the 45. We shall see!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2019, 05:10 pm »
What preamp you will use? or your 45 will have a volume pot?

pechelman

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2019, 05:31 pm »
Ordered it with a volume control on the front panel. Another fire bottle 45 user with one that I spoke to also runs it this way and said it works fine. Since I have only one source, and don't really have room for another, it didn't seem worth fooling with a preamp.

If I find I need pre amplification, my plan was to plug in my headphone amp until I figure out a more permanent solution. (bottlehead crack with speedball).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2019, 05:35 pm »
That is nice very simple, a preamp add more gain though, dont know if you will need additional gain, Dennis surely can tell.