Is it Music or Noise Pollution?

Mag

Is it Music or Noise Pollution?
« on: 8 Mar 2019, 05:10 pm »
Music that I like to listen to, is the reason I have a high fidelity stereo. In the past I would have said 'I am a music lover', as I have a pretty wide taste in music genre. But I know now, such is not the case, I only like good music.

At work over the PA system, music is streamed. Usually one of the supervisors picks the channel, and most of the time it is on 'All-day Party' music which consists of some kind of current Hip Hop music, which I guess caters to the younger generation. I've complained about the crap music and apparently I'm not alone, but to no avail, I simply have to endure it and try to block it from effecting my mood. Sometimes though the music will be set to another channel like yesterday 'Rock Hits' and my mood was more upbeat as I could identify with many of the songs.

Watching an audio show on Youtube where vendors have there systems set up in hotel rooms. Not ideal rooms for some systems, and it seemed like most of the rooms where playing boring audiophile music that could clear a room. Which is understandable since they are catering to a crowd with different tastes. The music is simply to evaluate the system and speakers.

So you see unless we like the music, there is no point on spending money on a high priced stereo. What I like, what you like, is personal, for everybody else it's noise pollution. :smoke:

MttBsh

Re: Is it Music or Noise Pollution?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2019, 05:57 pm »
There's definitely a downside to being a music lover. At least in my case, the more I enjoy the music I love, the more I'm irritated by music I don't like. 

I love some forms of progressive rock, folk, jazz, blues, some classical, but I find that I can't stand sappy pop, party music, hip hop, etc. in other words, what's popular today. It is actually irritating to me. I find myself at times envying those who don't much care about music and who are OK with whatever happens to be playing at any given time. My wife likes 80s pop and sometimes I instinctively change her chosen radio station when I'm driving because I'm getting upset, which doesn't go over well at all, especially since she patiently tolerates and even enjoys some of the music I like.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2019, 06:10 pm »
The older we get, the better the music used to be!!! :green:

Gene

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2019, 08:56 pm »
Whenever I go into a supermarket or CVS I feel as if I’m on a get-in and get-out-fast recon mission just to avoid the music being pumped in. God, it’s awful. This stuff makes the original musak/elevator music sound like the Ring Cycle. Are store managers actively trying to discourage people from shopping? And now even my gas pump wants to entertain me with noise and commercials. WTH?

We were in a restaurant last month when this older couple (think late 80s) came in, more than half in the bag,
and started loudly yelling at the waitress, “what the hell is this, robot music?”.

The persons who invented the vocoder should be loaded into cannon and shot towards Buffalo. (Go Bills).

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2019, 10:45 pm »
Whenever I go into a supermarket or CVS I feel as if I’m on a get-in and get-out-fast recon mission just to avoid the music being pumped in. God, it’s awful. This stuff makes the original musak/elevator music sound like the Ring Cycle. Are store managers actively trying to discourage people from shopping? And now even my gas pump wants to entertain me with noise and commercials. WTH?

We were in a restaurant last month when this older couple (think late 80s) came in, more than half in the bag,
and started loudly yelling at the waitress, “what the hell is this, robot music?”.

The persons who invented the vocoder should be loaded into cannon and shot towards Buffalo. (Go Bills).
What if they live in Buffalo?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2019, 10:47 pm »

Gene
Lemmy Kilmister had a great quote in his biography movie. He said something along the lines of the music and musicians you listened to growing up will always be the best. He mentioned people like Little Richard and Chuck Barry being what he considers the best because that’s what he was raised listening to.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2019, 10:58 pm »
Seems like the older I get, the less diverse my musical tastes are. And I pretty much only listen to stuff from when I was very young until around right after college. My parents and their siblings were big classic rock fans - Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, Santana. I grew up with that stuff. I started listening to metal and thrash metal in junior high school - Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax; along with rap/hip hop - Beastie Boys, NWA, etc. Then came the grunge/alternative stage later on in high school - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, etc.

Look at my music library today, and there are very, very few artists that I listen to who came out after college. I’ll buy their current stuff, but I haven’t ventured very far out of my formative years when it comes to artists. I’m old and set in my ways at going on 43, so I don’t think I’ll get into anything else ;)

And when is the next big wave of rock stars going to happen? There was a minor one with Nu Metal which I didn’t care for other than Korn and Linkin Park. And I only like their first few albums anyway. Every decade had a huge shift in new rock, yet that hasn’t really happened since around 2000. Almost 2 decades now and there’s been nothing groundbreaking. Or did I miss it? That could be some kind of record.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2019, 11:07 pm »
What if they live in Buffalo?

Make them move.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2019, 01:56 am »
The thing is that new music basically sucks! I'm willing to listen into anything that is good. But often, I go back in time - before I was born! - to listen to good music. Every once in a while a newer group is good but often the later a group/singer puts something out - through the 80's until today, I'll notice their music going downhill in quality - more repetitive (especially the drumming) with worse arrangements, i.e. stops, starts and changes in individual instruments and transitions.

Probably the only new-ish type music that I have found is lounge music, Costes Hotel 3 being one of my favorites. Though like many genres, there's also a lot out there that just ain't good.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2019, 02:24 am »
There is good and bad music in all eras, including this one. Good music can be harder to find in some ways now, though- there is more crapola than ever to wade through. The reason the drumming is more monotonous BTW is if your music of choice is Pop, you're likely to be listening to a drum machine, not a drummer. I remember reading a jazz musician talking in an interview about Art Blakey and how he could instantly identify his "time". That feeling is absent in music made in GarbageBand or its pro counterparts. That is why I don't like most of today's music, not because I don't like the 'style'. Frank Zappa referred to it as "wallpaper for your lifestyle". I like most anything done with feeling.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2019, 02:32 am »
The reason the drumming is more monotonous BTW is if your music of choice is Pop, you're likely to be listening to a drum machine, not a drummer. I remember reading a jazz musician talking in an interview about Art Blakey and how he could instantly identify his "time". That feeling is absent in music made in GarbageBand or its pro counterparts.

It had more to do with the disco/dance music phenomenon starting in the late 70's. You can hear it in the drumming - as an example - of Steely Dan. Their last two albums drive me nuts because in almost every song - with real and different drummers - they hit the snare drum repetitively every second from the beginning to the end.

WC

« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2019, 02:50 am »
Actually as I get older I find my tastes in music branching out. I started out only listening to Rock and pop music in the 80's. I listen to all types of music now, but I still enjoy going back and listening to what I grew up on (80's rock more so than pop). I get bored listening to the same music all the time, so I am constantly listening to new music to me. Some is good and some is bad. There still is a lot of good music coming out every year, but most of it is not popular stuff you hear on the radio. I have difficulty listening to most popular music these days. I listen to many podcasts that play new songs. If a song strikes my fancy I check out the artist/album to see if I like the rest. Most are indie artists.

MttBsh

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2019, 03:25 am »
In the late 60s/early 70s record companies not only allowed but encouraged bands to experiment, to be creative, and that was the time that people like Miles Davis, Hendrix, Santana, the Mahavishnu Orchestra and many others paved the way for a lot of great music that followed. Musicians were allowed to go where they wanted to go. I think record companies realized that if musicians were allowed to follow their vision it would lead to great music that people would buy.

Sometime in the early/mid seventies that all came to an end. The music business became much more about business than music, certain formulas had to be adhered to to minimize risk and maximize profits. I think it's been a lot harder for bands to put out something original because the guys with the record contracts aren't interested. I believe that's a real reason that not a lot of great music has come out in the last 40 years or so. Classic rock stations still play the stuff from my era (late 60s/early 70s) because that's the music that was created by the bands and not the record executives, and people still love it today, at least older farts like me.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2019, 10:14 am »
Mahavishnu Orchestra?

This band/music is new to me. I'll give them a listen when I'm back home. Thank you for mentioning them. :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2019, 11:21 am »

Gene

+1

Just now I "un-favorited" a Tidal album but love all the mixes it picks for me.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2019, 11:35 am »
Mahavishnu Orchestra?

This band/music is new to me. I'll give them a listen when I'm back home. Thank you for mentioning them. :thumb:
John McLaughlin and his Mahavishnu Orchestra. For what it is worth, I'll recommend his album called "Shakti".

While you are at it, look into John Mayall. Love "The Turning Point" album.

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2019, 11:55 am »
Just do what the teenagers do. Have your cell phone with ear phones blasting away your favorite music and you will not be bothered by the music of the store.

mav52

« Reply #17 on: 9 Mar 2019, 12:50 pm »
Yep for me , new music is plain awful.  But its the age thing.  I'll take my classic rock, blues, jazz, piano music any day.  Never was into Metal which seems to often harbor a menacing, man-made doom that conflicts with natural tradition and acceptable, comfortable behavior: like a steel-toothed chainsaw ripping through sap-laden vines; a 440 krupp carbon-alloy log chain wrapped around the throat of Mother Nature. IT always seemed to me as angry music.   Rap god NO, hip/hop nope, Opera nope, twangy country nope , Diana Krall her music nope.  :)   maybe its ana ge thing, like my parents didn't like my "rock music ether, so I guess it depends upon your taste in music to decide if its noise pollution or not.  LOL

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 9 Mar 2019, 01:24 pm »
A couple of weeks ago my 28 year old son surprised me by stating that the best music is whatever was popular when you turned 20. I think he made a very cogent observation there.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #19 on: 9 Mar 2019, 02:43 pm »
I was a freshman in college on semester break when the Beatles came on Ed Sullivan. Funny looking suits, funny looking hair but my first thought was, "where are the horns!!!?"  :duh:

Gene