Hello from Canada

NaDs

Hello from Canada
« on: 3 Mar 2019, 12:05 am »
Hey everyone, new to there forums but I've been lurking for awhile now.

I'm a little too far down the rabbit hole right now, I've been into audio for the last 15 years, and I can't seem to find a speaker for the living room that makes me forget about them so I can just enjoy the music. I have a bit of treble/upper mid sensitivity and find that as soon as I turn up most of the speakers I've tried, all enjoyment goes out the window. My perfect speakers would sound like the HD650; smooth, detailed, not in your face, not fatiguing, but maybe a little more neutral through the mid bass. I can turn those headphones up and up and they never become too much.

I'm looking for floorstanders or large standmount speakers, without subs. I don't mind building them either. Just want to find the ones! The ones I'm currently considering are the Selah Vigores

http://www.selahaudio.com/vigore

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Hello from Canada
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2019, 12:43 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC NaDs   :thumb:  Good luck with the hunt, always a daunting task. I'm sure you'll get some other recommendations.  8)

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2019, 01:50 am »
I don't mind building them either

There are certainly a whole lot of good diy speakers out there. What king of support kit are you using?

dave

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2019, 03:07 am »
Welcome!

NaDs

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2019, 04:14 am »
There are certainly a whole lot of good diy speakers out there. What king of support kit are you using?

dave

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm using a Grace Labs SDAC to a Yamaha A-S1100 integrated amp.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2019, 01:33 pm »
Good to see another Canuck around the place.

Welcome to AC!

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2019, 06:20 pm »
Welcome  to AudioCircle NaDs

I have not heard these speakers yet, but from the reviews sound you like you need to try the Tekton - Double Impact

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2019, 07:05 pm »
... to a Yamaha A-S1100 integrated amp.

So a typical low output impedance SS amp. Most multi-way diy is targeted at your kind of amp, and many FR diy will work fine.

Wher ein Canada are you?

dave

NaDs

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2019, 08:27 pm »
Welcome  to AudioCircle NaDs

I have not heard these speakers yet, but from the reviews sound you like you need to try the Tekton - Double Impact

Ill take a look into them and try to keep an open mind. Tektons design choices go against the typical scientifically accepted ideas regarding speaker design. The tweeter array in an mtm layout has me questioning things. But like I said, I'll keep an open mind and look into it more!

So a typical low output impedance SS amp. Most multi-way diy is targeted at your kind of amp, and many FR diy will work fine.

Wher ein Canada are you?

dave

I'm on the west coast. So far from where most of the audio nuts are... I'm in the land of bose, klipsch and polk. I just notice all the good stuff on canuck audio mart is on the east coast ;)

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2019, 08:35 pm »
You get to the island often? You should come have a listen to some good diy stuff.

I think you ar elikely short-changing the west coast… there is more tuff back east simply because there are more people there.

dave

NaDs

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2019, 03:23 am »
You get to the island often? You should come have a listen to some good diy stuff.

I think you ar elikely short-changing the west coast… there is more tuff back east simply because there are more people there.

dave

You're probably right. It just seems like there's far less used stuff to buy in the west, which makes sense with the lower population.

I don't come out to the island often at all, but I would be willing to make a trip out that way to gain more exposure. Just noticed the vancouver island diyaudio posts. Will look into it more!

EDIT: I should add, I am specifically looking at 3 way big standmounts or tower speakers. Unfortunately places are expensive down here so a dedicated listening room is out of the question. So i need speakers that can double for home theater duty but primarily must sound good for music. I've also been keenly eyeing something hornloaded, the tempest fusion 12 by jeff bagby, although unavailable seems to be considered forgiving.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2019, 05:55 am »
Every year we have a vancouver island diyFEST in August. This years will be #16 but we are not sure where it will be.

I am into mostly single driver and WAW systems. No XO or one where most of the problems with XOs can be minimized or eliminated.

But at diyFEST people bring all sorts of things.

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2019, 11:14 am »
You're probably right. It just seems like there's far less used stuff to buy in the west, which makes sense with the lower population.

I don't come out to the island often at all, but I would be willing to make a trip out that way to gain more exposure. Just noticed the vancouver island diyaudio posts. Will look into it more!

EDIT: I should add, I am specifically looking at 3 way big standmounts or tower speakers. Unfortunately places are expensive down here so a dedicated listening room is out of the question. So i need speakers that can double for home theater duty but primarily must sound good for music. I've also been keenly eyeing something hornloaded, the tempest fusion 12 by jeff bagby, although unavailable seems to be considered forgiving.

Welcome!

I've always thoughts of the U.S. northwest/Canadian west coast as a very exciting audio land, at least compared to Michigan.   :(

I'm not a fan of floor standers or 3-ways:

1.)  Too complex (was a single driver guy for years, so the only good crossover is no crossover);
2.)  Too hard to 'fit' the room (bass can easily overload the room);
3.)  Expensive/hard to ship (especially at time of resale);
4.)  Bass is best generated exactly where mid/treble isn't (corners versus away from walls);
5.)  Adjustable subwoofers are usually cheaper (and can be ideally used in multiples to even out in-room peaks/dips).

Not sure of your budget, but a favorite of mine for the past 15 years have been Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's ($300/pair small ugly 2-ways that are extremely musical, image like crazy, work well for AV but best for music).  They use a 150 mm woofer and soft dome tweeter.  Of course they sell bigger ones, but in your case would stay away from ribbons as most try to show them off by tilting the treble up.  The CBM-170 sound is more old school, not mid/bass lean or un-tilted so may be right in your wheelhouse.

Note that coming from single drivers I'm also a big fan of active speakers.  Very dynamic, extremely flat frequency response (a revelation in itself), and unbelievably deep/full bass.  Nearly everyone in the recording, mixing, and mastering studios use active.  In actives each driver is mated directly to one channel of amplification for a better coupling and the crossover is low voltage which can be far more accurate and sophisticated.  My current favorites are JBL 305 Mk2 ($300/pair), 705P ($2000/pair), and 708P ($4000/pair that I use in a 2.3 stereo system). 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2019, 04:39 pm »
Good post JLM, I would add xovers decrease the driver electrical efficiency and SPL a side the fact that they become to emit a poor 2D soundstage due severe loss of the musical micro detail.

NaDs

« Reply #14 on: 5 Mar 2019, 02:08 am »
Welcome!

I've always thoughts of the U.S. northwest/Canadian west coast as a very exciting audio land, at least compared to Michigan.   :(

I'm not a fan of floor standers or 3-ways:

1.)  Too complex (was a single driver guy for years, so the only good crossover is no crossover);
2.)  Too hard to 'fit' the room (bass can easily overload the room);
3.)  Expensive/hard to ship (especially at time of resale);
4.)  Bass is best generated exactly where mid/treble isn't (corners versus away from walls);
5.)  Adjustable subwoofers are usually cheaper (and can be ideally used in multiples to even out in-room peaks/dips).

Not sure of your budget, but a favorite of mine for the past 15 years have been Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's ($300/pair small ugly 2-ways that are extremely musical, image like crazy, work well for AV but best for music).  They use a 150 mm woofer and soft dome tweeter.  Of course they sell bigger ones, but in your case would stay away from ribbons as most try to show them off by tilting the treble up.  The CBM-170 sound is more old school, not mid/bass lean or un-tilted so may be right in your wheelhouse.

Note that coming from single drivers I'm also a big fan of active speakers.  Very dynamic, extremely flat frequency response (a revelation in itself), and unbelievably deep/full bass.  Nearly everyone in the recording, mixing, and mastering studios use active.  In actives each driver is mated directly to one channel of amplification for a better coupling and the crossover is low voltage which can be far more accurate and sophisticated.  My current favorites are JBL 305 Mk2 ($300/pair), 705P ($2000/pair), and 708P ($4000/pair that I use in a 2.3 stereo system).

Which ribbon designs are tilted up? I measured the Philharmonic BMRs in my room, and they have a smoothly descending frequency response. I do agree they sound a little hot in the high end but I think that more to do with the wide dispersion in a very large bare echoey room. Really my room is my biggest enemy right now.

I've never heard any full range single driver speakers before. I'm just wondering if there are any commercial designs using this topology. I would love to have a listen. I think I may take planet10s advice and head out to the Vancouver Island DIY fest just to get an idea of whats possible.

I've got a pair of LSR305, they sound great but I don't really want studio monitors in the living room, with the M2 being an exception.

As for the ascend speakers. I'm looking for something more long term. Looking to spend closer to 1500 to 3000$.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2019, 11:09 am »
Which ribbon designs are tilted up? I measured the Philharmonic BMRs in my room, and they have a smoothly descending frequency response. I do agree they sound a little hot in the high end but I think that more to do with the wide dispersion in a very large bare echoey room. Really my room is my biggest enemy right now.

I've never heard any full range single driver speakers before. I'm just wondering if there are any commercial designs using this topology. I would love to have a listen. I think I may take planet10s advice and head out to the Vancouver Island DIY fest just to get an idea of whats possible.

I've got a pair of LSR305, they sound great but I don't really want studio monitors in the living room, with the M2 being an exception.

As for the ascend speakers. I'm looking for something more long term. Looking to spend closer to 1500 to 3000$.

Ascend Acoustics can fit your bill, but I always wonder why folks even have a price range in mind so early in the shopping process.

Yes, the room is the biggest factor most audiophiles neglect/dismiss. 

BTW the new JBL 305 Mk2 are killer.  I hooked up a pair fresh out of the box and initially thought I'd made a mistake with my JBL 708Ps.  The original 305s were good and did nothing wrong, but the Mk2 are so musical in comparison!