4B3 Troubleshooting help

mmmbeer

4B3 Troubleshooting help
« on: 28 Feb 2019, 04:54 pm »
Hello all

I'm curious if anyone has experienced similar issue, and if you have any troubleshooting help- otherwise it may come down to a warranty issue.

I'm currently running a BDA-3 DAC > Audio Research SP14 > Bryston 4B3 > B&W 804 d3.

Within the last week there is a high pitched buzz coming from the mid/tweeter of the speakers when I turn on the amp- I can hear it from about a foot away.  When amp was new it was dead quiet.  I of course went through the normal steps, unhooking everything, balanced vs se, plugging amp into power conditioner instead of  directly to wall (I always run it directly to wall circuit), moving to different location (office), unplugging every other componenet connected to that circuit and all have the same buzz coming from the amp--even with no input cables plugged in. 

What I'm worried about is a potential issue with the BDA-3 that may have caused it. I recently started using the HDMI input from an Apple TV to stream music and watch movies through, and whenever the HDMI would lose signal, switch signal, or the apple tv would turn off, there would be a Thump in the speakers (I figure it is a flaw in the BDA-3, as it happens across HDMI sources blu-ray, xbox, Apple tv, but does not happen on any other inputs if signal is lost or changed).  This went on for a week or so while my wife was at home listening to music and watching shows, etc.  I finally just plugged the HDMI source directly to the TV and used the Optical out from the TV with no thump issues.  Needless to say I won't be using the HDMI input or outputs anymore on the BDA-3.

What do you guys think.  Has my BDA-3 gone bad? Did it mess up my 4B3? I seriously love the sound these bryston units make, but this is certainly frustrating!  I'll hit up Bryston directly but I would like to see if anyone else has similar issues or potential solutions. Thank you

Cheers!
Justin

mmmbeer

Re: 4B3 Troubleshooting help
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2019, 04:59 pm »
I forgot to mention the BDA3 is running on current firmware, both units were purchased brand new from an authorized dealer (Weinhart) in late 2018.

stesu

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2019, 05:51 pm »
If you can still hear it without input cables connected to the amp, and if both speakers behave the same, the problem should be caused by the amp. Have you tried to disconnect the ground loop from the amp?

mmmbeer

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2019, 06:03 pm »
If you can still hear it without input cables connected to the amp, and if both speakers behave the same, the problem should be caused by the amp. Have you tried to disconnect the ground loop from the amp?

Both speakers behave the same.  I have disconnected everything on the circuit, and even tried it with a Furman power conditioner/surge I use for source components (with nothing else connected) with the same buzzing issue.  I'm confident it is the amp, I'm just worried the BDA-3 is the faulty component as well as this buzz only started happening after the BDA-3 caused the Thumping issue.  Before I used the HDMI input, it worked fine for months, dead quiet, and sounded great.  Thanks for your input.

PierreB

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2019, 08:11 pm »
Can you try another amp instead of your 4B??

brucek

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2019, 09:07 pm »
Identifying hum or buzz in a system requires methodical, step by step elimination.

It's quite confusing when you say the problem may be the BDA-3 while you are still claiming to be experiencing the fault with all cables disconnected to your power amps.

If you simply plug the power amp into the wall with no other connections to it other than the speakers and you hear a buzz from the speakers, then it sure ain't the BDA-3.

brucek

mmmbeer

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2019, 09:45 pm »
Identifying hum or buzz in a system requires methodical, step by step elimination.

It's quite confusing when you say the problem may be the BDA-3 while you are still claiming to be experiencing the fault with all cables disconnected to your power amps.

If you simply plug the power amp into the wall with no other connections to it other than the speakers and you hear a buzz from the speakers, then it sure ain't the BDA-3.

brucek

For sure.  The BDA-3 is disconnected--my only observation is since these thumps, the buzz started happening.  The thumps were caused from the BDA-3.  It is by no means a diagnosis of the BDA-3, or an answer as to the source of the buzz, just an observation that could be completely meaningless.  My association of the two, with my limited knowledge of electrical engineering, is could the thumps caused by the bda3 have damaged the amp?  It's clear the isolated issue is the amp itself. I did try another amp with no noise, so I'm confident it's not a speaker issue.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2019, 11:49 pm »
hey mmmbeer......any news on this issue? get 'er fixed up yet?
T

mmmbeer

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2019, 05:42 pm »
Not yet, I need to send it in.  It's funny, it is more noisy than my vintage phono preamp, so I know something isn't right!  Support is super responsive though, I just need to mail it in.