Building house, suggestions for better acoustics

Oborous

« on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:00 pm »
Hi all,

Looking at building next house, and want some advice (and specific product suggestions) for room building.

A few challenges:

1) Most likely not going through a custom builder.  So have limits to how much I can change the spec sheet.

2) Only three walls, the room will back onto something else with complex dynamics.  Most likely a kitchen/eating area if I have my way.

3) Relatively square.  Most of the floor plans seem to be giving me space of about 25'x20'x9' including the eating nook.

4) Leaning towards hardwood flooring.

5) I'm only looking to live in this house for 5-8 years, so massive and permanent changes that could make the place difficult to sell are out.

5) I have to build in the possibility of Sig Other deciding to re-arrange furniture, so having some flexibility in listening position would be appriciated.

The advantages:

1) I know one of the potential builders, and am heavily leaving towards one of their plans.  I can go in with safety equipment and my WCB insurance and do work on my own place; I can do certain things; I have built houses before.

2) I have almost complete freedom for furniture.  The only thing that will be going in there is a 27" T.V.; everything else is planned to go somewhere else.  T.V. will eventually leave when I break down and buy a projector.

3) Have a good source for thick pile large rugs. Can minimize the effects of the hardwood, plus I've seen the ability to get a tapestry-esque carpet that could be a wall hanging.

That's about it.  I'm almost 100% going to go with Roxul insulation, it offers all the advantages that I've been looking for.

I prefer more of a stealth approach, decor is contemporary, minimal almost to the point of Bahaus/International.  I can have suede draps made up again, with light blocking cotton (think 3/8" white cotton heavy batting) for the windows.  I'm pretty good at being able to integrate shapes into a room if neccesary.

I'm wondering what people suggest that I can do ahead of time, what things then would be synergistic with this?  Does having 3 of the walls (including the one for the eating nook) are exterior walls cause any issues that I should be aware of?

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; so exotic imports are probabbly out.

denverdoc

« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:17 pm »
My only advice: Make certain you have a way of doing infinite baffle bass loading from basement/garage or attic. There is no substitute and for less than 1 to 1.5k will leave in the dust any consumer subwoofer(s) selling for 3 to 4 times as much!

.02 USD worth

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2005, 12:59 am »
I'm building right now in Michigan and the sound room is going in the basement.  Being how this is intended to be a long-term stay, the house is somewhat custom.  My priorities were:

1.  The room will be dedicated to me.
2.  Proper height x width x length ratios.
3.  Isolation from the rest of the house (electrically and accoustically).

So the room will be locked and keyed separately.  8 foot ceilings specified with 12'-11 1/4 width and 20'-11 1/4 length to minimumize reinforcement of standing waves.  Weather sealed insulated exterior door.  Insulated staggered stud walls.  Metal furring strips that the ceiling drywall is hung from (with 8 inches of blown insulation above).  Lined fiberglass ductwork serving the room.  Three audiophile grade electrical convenience duplex receptacles each on a dedicated circuit with a common ground that is independent from the rest of the house.

Looked at hardwood floors, plan on adding a large rug.

If you share the room with a female, you will not have a full choice of furniture locations.

Square room very bad.

Windows bad.

Room open to kitchen very, very bad.

Spartan/modern furnishings bad.

Hide acoustical products (Real Traps) behind tapestrys.

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2005, 10:56 pm »
Hire someone, like Rives or ASC.