The Klipsch Gate Tour

witchdoctor

The Klipsch Gate Tour
« on: 28 Feb 2019, 12:09 pm »
Let me start this thread by saying I have no affiliation with Klipsch, DTS or any audio company. I am just a member here and decided to start a tour of the Klipsch Gate. For about the same investment as a 4K UHD disc this research project should be at least as entertaining for me :popcorn:.

To participate in the tour you will need a wifi network and either an android,apple, or kindle device.
Each tour participant will have 7-10 days to audition the Gate and then post a review of their experience in this thread. At the end of the tour I will have a drawing of all the people who participated AND posted a review and the winner will get to keep the Gate. Just my way of saying thanks for participating.
If you would like to be included in the tour please let me know in THIS thread. If I get at least 5 participants I will start the tour and PM participants with more info. I'll be including a pair of 3.5 mm to RCA adapters so participants can use cables they already have. If you want to participate in the tour please post away.  :D

Brettio

Re: The Klipsch Gate Tour
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2019, 01:20 pm »
A nice gesture and fun offer by Witchdoctor.  I’d have been the first to raise my hand if I hadn’t already taken the plunge (wait, is $35.00 considered taking a ‘plunge’?).  I’m looking forward to watching this thread.

Brett

apstoltz

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2019, 02:10 pm »
Does the gate and powergate have a similar sound signature? Does anyone know what amp chip and dac chip are used in the gate units?

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2019, 02:20 pm »
I would sign up, but buying mt own for 33 bucks. :D

If I don't use it, I can always give it to my Gtandson who graduates next year.

Thank you for the offer.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2019, 03:22 pm by OzarkTom »

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:29 pm »
Does the gate and powergate have a similar sound signature? Does anyone know what amp chip and dac chip are used in the gate units?

Similar sound signature, yes. Both devices sound very analog lacking any compression that I can hear in my system. Articulate, full bodied music is how I would describe it. I detect no digital hash or brightness.
This review of the Gate by Quboz describes the dac chip of the Gate:

https://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Klipsch-Gate

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:31 pm »
I would sign up, but buying mt own for 33 bucks. :D

If I don't use it, I can always give it to my Gtandson who graduates next year.

Thank you for the offer.

Sure, please post your experience after you get it broken in. There are two apps, the Klipsch stream app is the OS and the Klipsch utility app updates the firmware. Post if you need any help with the setup.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:49 pm »
Could the Gate be used simply as a USB DAC?

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:58 pm »
Could the Gate be used simply as a USB DAC?

No, it only has an analog in, if you want a USB dac get the Powergate. It has USB in and can either drive you speakers directly of you can use the pre-outs to connect it to an amp. The DAC section is excellent and well worth the investment. You can use it as a preamp, a dac, or as an integrated amp. Watch the video I posted to check it out in the thread on my powergate review.

viggen

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2019, 04:53 pm »
so the gate and power gate are exactly the same except the latter has a speaker amp, hp output and USB input?

apstoltz

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2019, 05:25 pm »
Similar sound signature, yes. Both devices sound very analog lacking any compression that I can hear in my system. Articulate, full bodied music is how I would describe it. I detect no digital hash or brightness.
This review of the Gate by Quboz describes the dac chip of the Gate:

https://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Klipsch-Gate

I could not get the link to work.

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2019, 05:42 pm »
so the gate and power gate are exactly the same except the latter has a speaker amp, hp output and USB input?

No, they are different, check the Klipsch website for more info:

https://www.klipsch.com/stream

witchdoctor

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2019, 05:57 pm »
I'd love to be on the tour.  I have a Chromecast Audio hooked up to an iFi iOne but I'd really prefer to get down to a single device, if possible. 

apstoltz

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2019, 06:00 pm »
hmmm, try this:

https://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Klipsch-Gate-a-streamer-with-great179353

Thanks this works, it looks like they use the 5121 Burr-Brown chip. I believe this is what I have in my Hifiberry unit. This is a very capable chip and I like the sound.

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2019, 07:09 pm »
I'd love to be on the tour.  I have a Chromecast Audio hooked up to an iFi iOne but I'd really prefer to get down to a single device, if possible.

OK, I'll PM you.

Brettio

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2019, 12:52 am »
Witchdoctor, thank you on the update app info.  I just updated and wow, immediate major change!  Since the update I only need to turn the volume knob about 25% of what I did before.  Previously I was concerned with leaving the volume turned up so high but now that concern is gone.  Another happy Gate moment!
Brett

witchdoctor

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2019, 01:04 am »
Witchdoctor, thank you on the update app info.  I just updated and wow, immediate major change!  Since the update I only need to turn the volume knob about 25% of what I did before.  Previously I was concerned with leaving the volume turned up so high but now that concern is gone.  Another happy Gate moment!
Brett

Sure, another feature of the update is you can now select video or music streams when using the "line in" feature. It keeps the video and audio synced perfectly for watching videos through the gate. I watch a lot of concert videos and before the update there were sync issues.

witchdoctor

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2019, 03:44 pm »
The Klipsch Gate Tour kicks off next week, please post in this thread if you want to check it out.