SMSL SU-8 dac

jk@home

SMSL SU-8 dac
« on: 18 Feb 2019, 10:33 pm »
Has anyone here tried or is using the SMSL SU-8 dac? Any issues, comments on sound quality? How long is the burn-in period?

I wanted to upgrade from the internal DAC in my W4S mPRE, was originally looking at a Benchmark, but not in the budget right now. So I ordered one of these from Amazon, to run balanced into the W4S preamp. And maybe figure out how to do DSD files. Right now using a RP3 with a HiFiBerry HAT, running PiCoreplayer on LMS. Flac files on the PC and Spotify premium.

wushuliu

Re: SMSL SU-8 dac
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2019, 11:45 pm »
It's fine.
IMO coax input > USB.

jk@home

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2019, 12:04 am »
Thanks, yes I will be using Coaxial. Also have one of those Ifi SPDIF purifier jobbers to use in front of it.

jk@home

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2019, 12:33 pm »

This thing has a tiny display, which is fine with me. It is the V2, "10th Anniversary" version. Less than 30 hours in, I'm thinking this is going to be an improvement over the built-in dac in the mPRE. That dac didn't get good comments in the reviews of the preamp, although I thought it wasn't that bad after 300+ hours break-in. Soundstage seemed a little shrunk in size, from the previously used dac. Which has now improved with this new SMSL.

First tried Belden 8402 balanced cables on the outputs. Gave a nice presentation, but as before, didn't play nice with the KEF LS50s, emphasizing the lower treble too much. So went with Mogami 2549 cables with G&H ends, which is what I use elsewhere in the system.

This dac has different filter and sound settings, which is said to be built into the chip. Will wait for a longer break-in before I try those.

orientalexpress

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2019, 01:45 pm »
those filter come handy ,i use Tube 2 filter on mine.I hook mine up with ALLO USbridge with Roon.I haven't try DSD 256 yet.so far it's sound pretty good. :thumb:

jk@home

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2019, 08:45 pm »
those filter come handy ,i use Tube 2 filter on mine.I hook mine up with ALLO USbridge with Roon.I haven't try DSD 256 yet.so far it's sound pretty good. :thumb:

Good to hear. I was running a Schiit Loki EQ in the circuit, for "sound coloring" before switching over to the W4S internal dac. After a while caught a few times when it may of been screwing up the soundstage (phase issues?).  So removed it. I will try the new dac filters. This unit certainly widens the soundstage, extending all the way pass the speakers to the side walls, when the source allows it.

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2019, 01:31 am »
So far like the "Original" sound setting the most (Original what I have no idea  :D ). Also, since the unit outputs both the balanced and unbalanced outputs simultaneously, will use the RCA outs to feed the Loki EQ into another input of the preamp, adjusted for a switchable low volume loudness setting. This thing sound great for the price, mainly extra detail that wasn't heard before.