OCC windings and cast copper output wire in TX102 mk3

KT

Hi John,

Can you say a little about what the OCC winding and cast copper outputs bring to the party in the TX102 mk3s?

I just purchased a set of mk3 cans (with the normal wire) in the diyAudio group order and was wondering what the differences are.

I understand the silver wired cans are not earthshakingly different sound-wise. I'm, curious as to what the OCC and cast copper add.

Thanks,
KT

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2005, 02:55 pm »
Hello!

Well - the OCC wire adds to my costs for one thing! I don't know if we can really answer this. Early on I had folks who were not fan's of silver plated wiring a bit concerned about the standard silver plated leadouts. In my search for an alternate I ran accross neotech and their well regarded wires so I had them make a batch of OCC copper magnet wire for the internal wiring of the transformers.  Then later a customer had us make some special tx102's with OCC copper wire from Chimera Labs as leadouts. The Chimera wire and neotech wire is good stuff so I just went ahead and standardized on it - I have a tendency to just use the best stuff I can find...... I just eat the extra costs of those wires. This was a few years back and I can't recall doing a direct A/B but I would not loose sleep over not having the special wire. I expect differences will be rather subtle and I hope the tx102 has worked out well for you!

Thanks!

John

KT

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2005, 04:37 pm »
Thanks John,

I haven't built my preamp yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!

KT