Do they make DAC's without volume control and headphone amp?

Kingbleu

Newbie here on AudioCircle.  I'm looking for a DAC that has XLR balanced connections.  I don't want a headphone amp, I don't want a volume control.  These are extra features that I don't need and won't use, so I don't want to spend extra money on them.  Furthermore all those extra circuits in the audio chain will only interfere with what we are all looking for, a pure unmolested audio signal "audio nirvana".

So believe it or not I cant seem to find a stand alone DAC with XLR and no volume control and no headphone amp.  I am here seeking advice, picking your brains and waiting patiently to be schooled in the DAC world.  My limited sources are the big box stores HI FI magazines like Audio Advisor and the others.  Lead me to the off brands and the stuff that is overlooked.  Im not looking for trendy but more for a good deal and since I don't need all the bells and whistles I was hoping to get something that could hold its own and not cost a arm and a leg.  I know all you guys are gonna tell me to get the DAC that is three times out of my price range but thats ok. It's a starting point and if your curious my price range is under $400

Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Do they make DAC's without volume control and headphone amp?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2019, 11:18 am »
Welcome Kingbleu :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2019, 12:44 pm »
At your price point, the best option is used. And the best option on the used market in that range is the PS Audio DL III, or its replacement, the Nuwave dac.

And welcome to AudioCircle.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2019, 01:16 pm »
My recommendation is to bite the bullet and get a Topping DX7s (currently $425 factory direct).  A well built top performer, sorry has headphone output and volume control.  Check out audioreviewscience.com (page 6 of DAC reviews) for measurements, etc.

Topping offerings reflect the current state of DACs.  Don't over invest in this fast changing field of technology.  They've put their efforts into good design at affordable prices versus expensive/traditional pieces that will look like dinosaurs in two years.  The decision of adding headphone and volume features adds flexibility and addresses the desktop listening crowd. 

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2019, 02:59 pm »
Welcome!

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:02 pm »
While not all inclusive, the below has a list of some things that are available.  As noted in a post above, used might be the way to go.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rHcXP7PExksxZfkif3Rv2CT1Y_ESpNSv2b0nkKlBySk/edit#gid=0

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:04 pm »
Matrix makes a headamp/DAC with both RCA and XLR outputs.  The volume control can be bypassed.

Not sure they are available new anymore, but they are around used.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2019, 04:50 pm »
Welcome, good to see you here!

JLM - I thought you were using a SMSL SU-8 Version 2 DAC? The Topping sounds better to your ears?

Wayne

Kingbleu

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2019, 05:01 pm »
At your price point, the best option is used. And the best option on the used market in that range is the PS Audio DL III, or its replacement, the Nuwave dac.

And welcome to AudioCircle.

Thats exactly the type of thing I am looking for and I don't mind buying used.  Almost all my gear is used.  Thanks

Kingbleu

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2019, 05:06 pm »
Welcome, good to see you here!

JLM - I thought you were using a SMSL SU-8 Version 2 DAC? The Topping sounds better to your ears?

Wayne

Hi Wayne,  thanks for the invite to Audiocircle.  I'm still looking for a DAC module for the old California Audio Labs System 1 DAC :D