Hello... New member here

Davidlsu84

Hello... New member here
« on: 23 Jan 2019, 06:06 pm »
Just got my first system about 2 years ago, just got a smaller system to see if I was really going to enjoy it and man I really wish I got started earlier. Just ordered my first real amps and preamp ( decided to go with Odyssey monos and candela pre amp).

Any suggestions on a dac for under 1k?

My name David 34 years old out of Central Arkansas not sure If we have any other members from my area

Phil A

Re: Hello... New member here
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2019, 07:05 pm »
Welcome!

ricmon

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2019, 07:12 pm »
?Great choice in equipment......you will get plenty of fun out of Klaus'e gear. 
Good luck
Ric

BTW What speakers have you chosen for this journey?

Davidlsu84

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2019, 12:24 am »
Right now I have the bottom line sonus Faber principia 7s had no idea really what I was getting into. The guys that helped me at music direct pointed me in that direction but gave me an amp that wasn't able to push them, I have the quad vena integrated.
So I figured I would get a new amp and pre amp then speakers. Which reading after the fact I probably should focus on speakers first.
The only issue really not many places in my area to go and listen to speakers. I like blues, jazz, classic rock, classical and electronic music.
 I have 2 REL t9is also

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2019, 08:14 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle Davidlsu84

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2019, 11:01 am »
Welcome Davidlsu  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2019, 12:29 pm »
Right now I have the bottom line sonus Faber principia 7s had no idea really what I was getting into. The guys that helped me at music direct pointed me in that direction but gave me an amp that wasn't able to push them, I have the quad vena integrated.
So I figured I would get a new amp and pre amp then speakers. Which reading after the fact I probably should focus on speakers first.
The only issue really not many places in my area to go and listen to speakers. I like blues, jazz, classic rock, classical and electronic music.
 I have 2 REL t9is also

Welcome.  The audio journey is full of potholes, too bad you stepped in one so soon.  But you've shown perseverance.  Audio shopping nowadays consist of a mix of reading (lots of reading until you get a feel for the professional/amateur reviewers), attending shows (good IMO only to veto a product), in person auditions (in store, at friends, in home - best).  Use a variety of familiar recordings, including a couple of marginal ones and take notes (which forces you to concentrate and stave off aural forgetfulness).  And you're right - build your system from the speakers forward.

It's easy to over invest in digital as it's changing so fast.  Avoid buying used gear as improvements and changes come quickly.  Schiit Gungnir might be a nice option for you.  Price is right ($849), is updatable and upgradable.  But lacks MQA or DSD capabilities (not huge issue for most) but do poorly on the test bench.  The RME ADI-2 is slightly above your budget but is professional grade - highly recommended.  Another option would be any of the Topping DACs starting with the $120 D30.  The Topping DX7s ($500) is a very solid choice.  The Toppings represent the disposable reality of today's DACs, they are reasonably well built, well designed, and are very good performers.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2019, 05:57 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC David   :thumb:  As JLM says the Topping gear punches above it's weight. Just picked up a D50, and was very pleasantly surprised at $250 +tax.

Davidlsu84

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2019, 06:35 pm »
So I was looking at the RME ADI-2 DAC and topping dx70
Would the RME be a huge upgrade over the topping or? I appreciate your help guys