5.1 audio via USB from Synology NAS to AVR?

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
5.1 audio via USB from Synology NAS to AVR?
« on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:22 am »
I know I can connect a DAC via asynchronous USB to my Synology DS416Play NAS and get stereo playback - thanks to the option to select 'USB Speakers' when running DS Audio Station - but what I'd like to know is whether I can connect a device that supports 5.1 audio via asynchronous USB such as an AVR with a 'printer-type' USB input and get 5.1 playback. My current AVR doesn't have this sort of USB input so I can't try it for myself.

Fwiw, Audio Station can recognise and play multichannel audio files but because I've only got a stereo DAC connected, multichannel files are downmixed on the fly to stereo. It might well be it can't output 5.1 audio via USB but I'd like to find out whether it can as I'm thinking of upgrading my AVR so I can benefit from this feature - if at all possible.

Fwiw 2, I currently use a Rega DAC-R via USB with my Synology NAS and it sounds great :)

windhoek

Re: 5.1 audio via USB from Synology NAS to AVR?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:45 am »
It would even be good to know whether any device that supports 5.1 audio via asynchronous USB input works with a Synology NAS in this way as it might well be that no AVR does but something like the Exasound E38 does... and who knows, maybe one of those cheap external sound cards that can handle multichannel audio via asynchronous USB will work! I just need to find out what are my options.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm »

windhoek

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:57 pm »
I had a good look around for answers on the web before I had to go to work and I'm almost sure no AVR supports multichannel audio via asynchronous USB so it looks like my hope to play multichannel music on my NAS with a USB connection to an AVR is a non-starter. I guess I need to think about investing in a better streamer than my Fire TV running Plex within Kodi - whether that's a new AVR that can stream multichannel audio or a streaming gadget like an Nvidia Shield remains to be seen.

thanks for your input :)

Kal Rubinson

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2019, 11:38 pm »
I do not know of an AVR that will support multichannel over USB.  Does your Synology have an HDMI output?

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2019, 11:56 pm »
I guess I need to think about investing in a better streamer than my Fire TV running Plex within Kodi

Doesn't Kodi play back multichannel audio via DLNA?

If you're looking at AVRs for streaming, perhaps also look at bluray players eg -

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7wv9vhgYDAb/fg_279850_AG_General_Features%7CYCDLNA_Certified/DLNA-Certified-Blu-ray-Players.html

windhoek

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2019, 09:16 am »
It does but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as when I'm playing an actual disc - I think the Fire TV is quite limited in terms of audio quality. It looks like no AVR supports multichannel audio via network with the exception of the Sony DN1080, which unfortunately doesn't have pre-outs so that's no good for me and my setup. Unless any of the AVRs released later this year supports multichannel audio over network I'll look into buying a dedicated streamer - whether an Nvidia Shield or a Mede8er MED600X3D etc. thanks :)

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2019, 10:29 am »
I'd have thought DLNA compatibility in an AVR would mean multichannel... but maybe not! FWIW it works to my Oppo BDP-103.

windhoek

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2019, 11:36 am »
I seem to recall the 103 loaded tracks in alphabetical order rather than track number, might be wrong though

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2019, 11:41 am »
We are talking about different things :) Playback order for DLNA will be determined by the server.

windhoek

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2019, 12:00 pm »
Now that's interesting because Audio Station on my NAS always plays the correct order so maybe there's a setting I need to change on my NAS. Some investing to do...

windhoek

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2019, 04:09 pm »
I managed to get my Sony BDP to stream mch files over network although for some reason, it wouldn't play the mch DSD files that have been converted to FLAC. It wouldn't play gapless either but no surprises there.