Question?

Charles Calkins

Question?
« on: 25 Dec 2018, 08:20 pm »

Hi Guys:
                    I've been browsing around the net looking and reading about a lot of audio gear.
                    One thing I've noticed is that some of the newer preamps have a built in DAC.
                    Has anybody tried one of these? If so how did it compare to your preamp with no built in DAC.

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Question?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2018, 08:59 am »
This is a great idea, but it should accept all inputs on the market as 16/44 for CD players, DSD64 for SACD disc, 24/96 for DVD-Audio, USB for data streamer etc

You save some money in interconnects and connectors also it can grant a better music signal, also control data processing are a nice feature as pre/pos ring, dither and jitter level options.

Without these relevant features its just one more guy on the crowd as preamps DACs are plentiful on the market.

I like idea of a CD/SACD transport as source.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2018, 11:24 am »
Hard to generalize Charles, but would say most are better termed as DACs with some sort of built-in preamp (versus preamps with built-in DACs as you stated).

Most of those add-on preamps are nothing more than an attenuator (volume control), some are quite poor (reportedly robbing the life out of the sound), while others are thoughtfully designed and do not limit sound quality (reportedly Benchmark products and my PS Audio DirectStream Junior).  These are DACs with digital preamps as the units only have digital inputs.

A few also happen to have analog inputs.  Mytek offers DAC/preamps that actually have analog and phono inputs.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2018, 05:17 pm »
The benefit of the combination is having a DAC in the preamp, and the down side is a DAC in the preamp.  Meaning having a DAC inside gets rid of extra connections, optimization of the match, possibly improving sound quality, and having a DAC inside eliminates the upgrade path for either without the other.  Kinda a personal choice from there, several good recommendations have been mentioned already.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2018, 06:40 pm »
IF you use a turntable. DAC in the preamp makes no sense. All that extra digital noise?
Even with no turntable in the system, I would generally say no anyway, since DACS have upgrades more than preamps and amplifiers.
New connections for digital, who knows what is next, or what you may want?

CSI

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2018, 07:02 pm »
Generally true but not with Vinnie Rossi's LIO. Everything is modular (phono section, DAC, etc.) and upgradeable (the DAC has already been upgraded once). I use my phono section all the time and the adjacent DAC is noiseless. But then it's a Rossi design so the exception to the rule.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2018, 07:04 pm »
Generally true but not with Vinnie Rossi's LIO. Everything is modular (phono section, DAC, etc.) and upgradeable (the DAC has already been upgraded once). I use my phono section all the time and the adjacent DAC is noiseless. But then it's a Rossi design so the exception to the rule.

I was just about to post the same thing. Modular baby. Vinnies LIO is an excellent choice for those seeking all in one design.

charles

LJ3

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2020, 02:33 pm »
Is the better solution when the DAC and Pre Amplifier are insulated - in separate packages?
Better solutions when Pre and Power Amplifier, not integrated.