Anyone remember Empire speakers (like endtables)?

Tonto Yoder

« on: 21 Jan 2005, 07:30 pm »
A local sale had some Empire speakers I vaguely recognized: heaxagonal column speakers, down-firing woofer and round marble that set on top so speakers could serve as endtables.  These larger Empire Grenadier 7000 aren't them
but it's the same basic concept but in a smaller package.  Wondering if they're worth $45 to turn around and sell on eBay??

SWG255

Empire made some nice looking gear & their ads weren't t
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 09:42 pm »
One of the nicest looking turntables I ever saw (before the B&O models) was the Empire Troubador 598. It was "gold" and very attractive, especially paired with black-faced equipment like McIntosh or some of the Sansui integrated amps/tuners of the day.

I never actually heard the Empire speakers, but I'm sure some decor-conscious person might like them.

As for the ads, I remember High Fidelity always had small black-and-white ads for the speakers, and the speakers always  were surrounded by photos of a nude model in various poses. I think they knew who to market too!  :mrgreen:

John Casler

Re: Empire made some nice looking gear & their ads weren
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 10:51 pm »
Quote from: SWG255
One of the nicest looking turntables I ever saw (before the B&O models) was the Empire Troubador 598. It was "gold" and very attractive, especially paired with black-faced equipment like McIntosh or some of the Sansui integrated amps/tuners of the day.

YEP!, I had an Empire 598 TT and it was heavy!!!  I wish I could remember what I did with it.  Must have sold it to someone, but it was over 30 years ago (1973ish)

It was great lookin :mrgreen:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2005, 01:17 am »
Since the Empire tables have been mentioned, I'll post the link to Atma-sphere's update of an old Empire-- (the 208, not the 598).

zeke

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2005, 01:21 am »
I still have my 598 mk2 that i bought new in the 70's i guess(?). I bought a new belt for it last year ($35 ) while they were still available. I got out of vinyl a few years ago so i have no use for it. Anyone interested for $100  ??. BUT , i will not ship -- too much hassle .  If interested and near Chicago, pm me.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2005, 01:24 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Since the Empire tables have been mentioned, I'll post the link to Atma-sphere's update of an old Empire-- (the 208, not the 598).

i recently purchased a mint 208 w/a mint grado wood tonearm.  not up to the level of my oracle w/o-l dc motor kit & o-l rb250 arm, but really quite close.  and, i have done zero mods to it.  empire turntables are excellent alternatives to newer <$1k decks, imo...

doug s.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2005, 02:09 pm »
Quote from: doug s.

i recently purchased a mint 208 w/a mint grado wood tonearm.  not up to the level of my oracle w/o-l dc motor kit & o-l rb250 arm, but really quite close.  and, i have done zero mods to it.  empire turntables are excellent alternatives to newer <$1k decks, imo...

doug s.

Wonder how close to the Atma-Sphere mods a normal person could come??? Their mod is $2500 (pretty steep) and includes a newly-machined solid plinth and platter, but a normal guy could damp the plinth rather than totally replacing it.
It  DOES have a look that appeals to me--could be seen as "retro" or "classic".

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2005, 04:09 pm »
Wonder how close to the Atma-Sphere mods a normal person could come??? Their mod is $2500 (pretty steep) and includes a newly-machined solid plinth and platter, but a normal guy could damp the plinth rather than totally replacing it.
It  DOES have a look that appeals to me--could be seen as "retro" or "classic".

i think you could *easily* equal the atmosphere deck.  damping the empire deck is not difficult.  the stock empire platter will be hard to beat, imo - not sure that the atmosphere platter would be much better, if at all.  and ya can also further damp the stock platter.  a new base would also offer improvements.  not sure what "pabst" motor the atmosphere uses, but again, the old stock empire motor is excellent.  no speed wariance on mine at all.  tho it is a hair fast.  i have not tried adjusting it w/woltage regulation, this may help.  but, i cannot hear anything wrong, due to its slightly fast speed.  

w/my 208, i think the weak link is the old grado arm; an upgrade here would yield big benefits.  and, i think it's only partly due to the arm itself, (which is actually quite a cool piece), but largely due to the fact that its wiring is incorporated thru the original empire wiring harness & rca plugs which are *really* tacky...

here's a cool link to a diy 208 mod site; this guy's deck is really nice looking:

http://www.cognitivevent.com/av_empire.html

doug s.

guest1632

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2005, 04:52 pm »
Quote from: zeke
I still have my 598 mk2 that i bought new in the 70's i guess(?). I bought a new belt for it last year ($35 ) while they were still available. I got out of vinyl a few years ago so i have no use for it. Anyone interested for $100  ??. BUT , i will not ship -- too much hassle .  If interested and near Chicago, pm me.

That empire table would beat anything out there in its day. That table did a lot of things right. Sorry your won't ship.

Ray

Bingo

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2005, 08:02 pm »
When I was a hi-fi pup, I used to mark off just about every number on those old Stereo Review type magazine cards that had additional information request forms.  When I was into my "specifications" phase, I used to get heart palpitations over those top-of-the-line Empire speakers and turntable.  I treated those literature pamphets like they were fine art.  I allways thought it would be fun to hear those Grenadier 9000's, nowdays, on some great front end gear. Would it burst my bubble?   Man, that was a big magnet structure.  I guess I liked them, because I was making a similar, but much larger, version for some of my friends, just before the Empires came out.