Greetings from Eugene

timbley

Greetings from Eugene
« on: 4 Dec 2018, 09:57 pm »
Tim from Eugene Oregon here. I think I used to be on this forum many years ago under the user name timbley. I see the user name is taken. I have no idea what my password was back then!
I'm a long time audio nut who loves to try to make things, experiment, and have my preconceptions destroyed. Over the last 18 years I've built a few speakers, including 5 way direct radiators with concrete enclosures, small two way tuned pipes using PVC pipe, modified tops for Klipschorns using direct radiator drivers in horns based on an article by Bruce Edgar, and most recently a complete 3 way corner horn speaker system that uses a whopping four 18" woofers per speaker, stacked floor to ceiling.

I've been interested in room acoustics lately, which has led me to start working part time at Acoustic Sciences, which is located here in Eugene! I'm their hifi guy.

adminRH

• Admin
Re: Greetings from Eugene
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:38 am »
Welcome back to AudioCircle Tim! Nice speakers!   :thumb:

If you want to use your old timbley account again you can reset your password on the login screen. It will send the reset instructions to your original email address (yahoo.) If you need your email address changed before you change your password I can do that, just let me know here.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:46 am »
Greetings & Welcome back Tim   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:56 am »
Welcome back!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2018, 01:53 am »
Tim,

Welcome back!

We're almost neighbors - I'm usually in Beaver-land.

Michael

timbley

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2018, 02:06 am »
Thanks for the welcome back everybody! Yes, I'll try to recover my old password from Yahoo. I forgot all about Yahoo.

timbley

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2018, 02:12 am »
OK, I'm back under my old user name. I see it was 2005 last I posted. Talking about using two JVC amps to power my speakers. I just dumped those off at Goodwill a few months back. Nowadays there are plenty of used receivers that have 6 or more channels of direct input available for tri-amping. And I'm still using them! I guess I'll shut down the new account since I doubt there's any way to merge them.

Tim

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2018, 02:23 am »
Awesome!!  :thumb:

Now you can change the email on your timbley account to your current active email, if you want to receive notifications, etc.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2018, 03:15 am »
Welcome back Timbley.  If you need a real world room to work on I am 20 miles north or is that10 brewpubs :scratch:

Alan
(Harrisburg)

Mike B.

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2018, 04:54 am »
I am also in Eugene. The speaker pictured looks like excellent craftsmanship.

timbley

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2018, 05:04 am »
Alan, I'd be happy to work on your room. I'm very new at room acoustics, and I haven't had a chance to try any of our products yet myself. So far I'm just fooling around with scraps of mineral fiber on my bedroom system, but even that definitely works in there. Hopefully I'll get back to work tomorrow. I've been out sick all last week and so far this week. I'm sick of being sick!

adminRH, I think I'll just keep an eye on my yahoo account. I can't switch to my new e-mail because the other account I just opened has already used that email. ArthurDent, it's been a long time man! I'm very sad to learn about John, the chair guy passing.

Thanks Mike B. My friend Gavin can be credited for the craftsmanship. He's the one with the woodworking skills. I assisted. We spent a long time on those speakers. The stuff I make by myself tends to much cruder.

Mudslide

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2018, 05:38 am »
Hey there, Tim.  I think I heard those speakers playing way out here in Lincoln City!   Welcome back.   :thumb:

timbley

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2018, 06:48 am »
 :lol: Out in Lincoln City,  yep that might have been me. Seriously these things can put out a lot of SPL, but my ears are fairly delicate. A few songs with 90 db peaks at the listening position and I'm ready to turn it down. We bass tested these at my friends house where we built them to see if they had any rattles or noises. That was hilarious. The whole house was rattling and shaking badly so there was no way to know if the speakers were rattling. Putting a hand on the cabinet suggested they weren't shaking at all. Pretty much everything else was. A while later a section of ceiling fell down, fortunately not on the speakers. Yikes! I think that was mostly a result of water damage, but the vibrations might have helped it along.

toocool4

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2018, 10:44 am »
Welcome back to AudioCircle Tim Link / timbley

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2018, 10:18 am »
Welcome Tim :thumb:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2018, 05:30 pm »
Welcome Tim! I'm in Gig Harbor WA but my wife is from Eugene and we are down there from time to time.  And I spent part of my college days in Corvallis.

Jeff

timbley

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2018, 03:22 am »
Thanks for the welcomes everybody!

Jeff, I lived up in Bremerton for 4 years while stationed on the Nimitz. Love that Puget Sound area. I intended to stay there after I got out but ended back up here in Eugene. I like it here too. I used to love to hang out at a hifi shop in Silverdale. I got to spend some time in their listening room with  their high end systems. I could do that if I came in the early afternoon when none of the high paying clients were testing the merchandise. The owner was super friendly, and most gracious to allow my un-monied self access to that extravagant gear.