Another new member from Germany

sonofnotredame

Another new member from Germany
« on: 3 Dec 2018, 10:04 pm »
Hi,
I’m a US submariner stationed in Heidelberg looking to rebuild a mid fi system that’s compatible with both US and German electricity. I’m thinking about the Mod Squad Line Drive preamp that’s currently for sale on this forum, especially since it’s passive and I won’t have to worry about the difference in voltage and frequency when I come back to the States. I’ve currently got an Uher UMA 2000 power amp and Mirage OM 10 speakers  with an MHDT Havana DAC en route.

I’m happy to be a part of this forum and look forward to any advice or recommendations you might have.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Another new member from Germany
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2018, 10:06 pm »
Welcome seaman :thumb:
USA is 120V 60Hz and German seems 230V 50Hz, seems not compatible.

sonofnotredame

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm »
Yeah, I know...the voltage isn’t so hard to overcome, although I’m not a big fan of needing voltage transformers, especially when I get back to the States. My biggest concern is the difference in frequency. I know things will run ok in the short term, but it’s not good for extended use. That’s why I was interested in a Passive preamp. I’m going to have to bite the bullet with the Uher power amp, but the MHDT DAC is dual voltage and the speakers don’t care 🤷🏻‍♂️.

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2018, 10:27 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle sonofnotredame

You should look into the NuForce equipment, they are now called NuPrime. When i owned NuForce products, their equipment works from 100V - 250V auto-sensing, so i guess NuPrime are the same and should do the job for you.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm »
Welcome!

sonofnotredame

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2018, 10:43 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation toocool4. I’ll look in to that.

Samoyed

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2018, 11:59 pm »
My nuprime CDT-8 pro and dac10 have switches for voltage. They come set to 220, and the manual contains a warning to check and set voltage for local conditions.

sonofnotredame

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2018, 05:26 am »
Thanks Samoyed. Those dual voltage components are incredibly useful for my situation.