Met Opera on demand

RoadTripper

Met Opera on demand
« on: 30 Nov 2018, 06:12 am »
Does anybody around here use the Met Opera on Demand subscription service on their HT setup? Some reviews of it indicate it is pretty glitchy and may be a wasted $15 per month.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Met Opera on demand
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2018, 04:06 pm »
I just signed up and have 7 days free trial to see if it's worth the $15 a month.  It works fine on PC but I will try on my Roku at home and see if the 5.1 audio format recordings works on my HT set up.  I will explore and report back.  Thanks for alerting me to this.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2018, 05:50 pm by woodsyi »

RoadTripper

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2018, 05:47 pm »
You said you'd see if it is worth the $15 per week. Did you mean "per month"?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2018, 05:53 pm »
You said you'd see if it is worth the $15 per week. Did you mean "per month"?

Week, Month. :slap:

Week was in my mind because I was mentally reminding myself that I have 1 week of free trial.

RoadTripper

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2018, 05:59 pm »
Ah.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2018, 03:56 pm »
So I have been testing it out and took in a few operas old and new.  Sound quality is fine for me using my HT processor, Onkyo PR-SC5530 .  It sounds best on direct mode which defaults to 2.1 format.  I asked Met and they confirm that all recordings, both audio only and video old or new, are streamed in Stereo CD-quality 16-bit 44.1 kHz audio.  So the quality of HT sound depends on your processor that is converting the original broadcast signal to multichannel of your choice.  I think I am keeping the service until I get through the catalog which is extensive.  I like it.  I plan to listen only in direct (pass through) stereo mode.

RoadTripper

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:16 pm »
This is great. Thanks for the report. From what you said, it sounds like some of the operas have no video. Is that correct? I could have read it wrong.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:59 pm »
Yes,  there are some that are audio only but the video catalog is quite extensive.  There are some fascinating off the beaten path pieces that I am going to enjoy seeing -- I have seen production(s) of most popular ones live at some point, some where in the last 30 years.  It just occurred to me that I have their 2012 Ring Cycle on Bluray which has both stereo and hirez 5.1.  It's produced by DG.  I am wondering if it is hirez stereo as well.  I will have to compare the bluray to streaming on demand.  I am really not that much interested in audio only as I have at least 300 boxed LP opera sets and thousands of highlights, recitals and other vocal/choral records that I listen to regularly.  Vinyl sounds better to me though some hirez digital are pretty darned good too.

billc

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2018, 08:59 pm »
If you like streamed high quality classical audio/video, have you seen the Berliner Philharmoniker web site?

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/home

I have been getting promotional emails for a while, and the concerts look fantastic, but I have not taken the plunge yet.  I would appreciate hearing of others experiences with the site!

Bill C

RoadTripper

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2018, 09:03 pm »
Yes, I spotted this service perusing all the pre-loaded apps on my Samsung 4K DVD player. Were money not an object, I'd be doing this for sure.