New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion

ajzepp

New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« on: 26 Nov 2018, 06:11 am »
As I documented in another thread (see below for reference/link), I discovered a love for RSL speakers several years ago, and I still own and enjoy them today. Just got the news that the new line is on pre-order, and I'm very excited to see what they've done. Thought I'd establish this thread for future discussion and feedback once they are released into the wild. I hope to get a pair in to at least demo at some point, so I'll be happy to provide some feedback and make a video once I do.

Here is a link to the new CG5/CG25 product page, and below that is the thread I referenced above.

https://rslspeakers.com/cg5-overview/
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111915.0

ajzepp

Re: New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2019, 04:53 am »
Just a quick update that I spoke with Joe of RSL today, and I should have a pair in here by the end of the month. They're just waiting for the current production run to ship. The first batch apparently went like hot cakes. I'll be comparing the CG5s and hopefully a CG25 in both 2-channel and HT applications, and should be able to get a video up.

For anyone who loves dynamic, transparent speakers, these should be quite appealing. The CG4/24 line was one of the few box speakers that won me over, and these promise to be a step up from those. I'm eager to give them a listen.

apstoltz

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2019, 02:42 pm »
Very interested in hearing your thoughts as I have had the cg3 line, but felt they were a little too small for my room. What will you compare them with?

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2019, 08:01 am »
I'll first compare them directly to the CG4/24, which I still own and use nearly every day...and then compare and contrast with some other random speakers I'm familiar with, including my Magnepan 3.6r's in my main room. I really don't have much interest at all in upgrading the CG4/24s, but then when I saw that the new line is also slightly higher end, it did pique my curiosity. I tend to have a love/hate relationship with most box speakers, because I'm a transparency junkie and once I adapt to boxes, I start *hearing* the box. But RSL did an amazing job with my current speakers, and they sound as transparent today as they did they day I bought them, which I find very impressive. The only other box that accomplished that in my home was the DeVore Super 8s. So I'm very much looking forward to giving these a listen. I do also have a pair of 3s here, so I'll probably pull them out and offer a quick side note on the differences, also. They do struggle to fill up a room, I agree with you 100% on that. Hopefully the new batch ships soon.

apstoltz

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2019, 01:34 pm »
I would be curious to know how the cg3 compares to the cg4 as well. Looking forward to your thoughts on all of the RSL's.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm »
Sure thing...I'll set the 3s, 4s, and 5s all next to each other and try to offer some thoughts on the differences. I do feel the 3s are a ridiculous value at their price point - especially when you get the package deal with their speedwoofer...the whole things comes in at under $1k, which I have no clue how they make any money doing that...but the 5s should be a very nice upgrade. The reason why I'm so curious is because they're double the cost of the 4s, and given how much I love the 4s, and the fact that they've been working on the 5s for over two years, they have the potential to be really good. The room I'll have them in isn't big in terms of square footage, but in cubic feet it's a much larger area, so that will be a real test for them. They appear to have a bit more internal volume than the 4/24s, and I'm sure they're designed to primarily be used with a subwoofer, but I'll try both configurations just to see how they do.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2019, 09:36 am »
Hey guys..

Well, I think RSL may have gotten so big over the last few years that the little guy has become an afterthought. They asked me a year ago if I would give a listen to the new line when it came out, and I've been eagerly awaiting ever since. I followed up with them in January, and they were planning to ship out a pair later in the month, but here we are in March lol. Since I don't really have a much of an upgrade need at the moment, I'm guessing I won't have much to offer on the new line anytime soon. I'll leave the thread up here in case anyone else happens to audition/purchase them and wants to chime in with some thoughts.