Ted Weber 10" Blue Pup Alnico experiment

Monte Verdi

Ted Weber 10" Blue Pup Alnico experiment
« on: 23 Nov 2018, 02:32 am »
Hello, and Happy Thanksgiving!
 I haven't chimed in for a long time as I have been enjoying my last expedition with the Alpair 12P in a OB for a few years.
So now I'm here to report I have a new experiment in the works and so far it has exceeded my expectations of high fidelity. I know many people mistakenly dis the use of a guitar speaker as main drivers in a quality home system and perhaps they've even tried it with poor results. I'm not trying to start a shit storm here I'm just pointing out that my experience has been very positive in my system synergistically. I first learned how good this could sound in my friend Tony Landry's system who I must thank, incidentally he was using Celestion speakers. Also, he's won awards as a master audio design engineer at RMAF from The Absolute Sound for his amplifiers etc and his home system is the finest I have heard for digital reproduction..

Here's a brief synopsis of my system.

Preamp: Perreaux SM2 customized.
Amplifier: Golden Tube Audio SE40 customized.
Turntable & Tonearm : SCHEU Premier MK II w/custom armboard. SAEC 308N w/various headshells.
Phono Stage : Whest PhonoStage .20 w/MSU.20 Power Supply & Amtrans and Takman carbon film resistors.
Phono Cartridges: Zyx, Fidelity Research and Denon.
Digital : iFi Micro DSD & iFi power supply.
Speakers: Ted Weber 10" Blue Pup Alnico 30 watt run full range no dope to cone thus far. (2) NHT SUB2 subwoofers with 500 watt plate amps per unit for left and right channels. Tweeter's are CTS Piezos on a 1st Order crossover.
Power Cables: Acrolink
Interconnect: Nordost and Diy silver ribbon.

Needless to say I am quite pleased with the sound of these drivers. Warm, rich, solid, dynamic and detailed below 5-12 khz respectfully.
Capable of doing large symphonic, rock and and small chamber music with ease.. In fact when I throw on Richard Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra Op. 30 with Berlin and Karl Bohm I feel as though the speakers are mocking me " this is all you got,  :lol: come on, bring it on! " Just fine tuning amplifier tubes tweeter positions and various other things as these are far different than the Alpair 12P OB's. I'll post more pictures shortly as this platform kept flipping my pictures from my tablet.

Cheers, Ramon

Monte Verdi

Re: Ted Weber 10" Blue Pup Alnico experiment
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2018, 03:12 am »
Here's some more pictures.

kahlenz

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2018, 06:50 am »
I had a pair of those in a Vox AC15.  Punchy and articulate with a smooth, creamy breakup when fed a distorted signal.

Nothin' wrong with using guitar speakers like this if fed a clean signal.  They will steeply attenuate at about 4.5 kHz, so a well integrated tweeter will be mandated.  I think running them full range would be the ticket, paired with appropriately spec'd piezo tweeters you would not need a crossover.

A very cool set-up, but my wife would be contacting her attorney if I tried this at home!

Monte Verdi

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2018, 07:17 am »
Thanks,
And yes definitely not in league for waf :nono:!  After my divorce year's ago I had a pair of Altec A7 Magnificent speakers in a small living room, talk about audio insanity :icon_lol:.
Also, yes Piezos seem to integrate nicely with a 1st order crossover, that's all, Weber's running full range and so far everything seems to be running smoothly.

Bumpy

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2018, 07:42 am »
Hi Monte
What do you intend to do with your tweeters. I see you have lined up the acoustic centres, but they are a long way from the mid rangers. You may find this thread interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/133540410120537/permalink/1104476809693554/

Monte Verdi

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2018, 04:48 pm »
Hi Bumpy
And thanks for the link as I read through a bit of it and found it interesting.
I'll be honest I subcribe more to the club who measures with listening than setting up microphones and oscilloscopes. Though I have audio friends from Los Alamos Labs that do just that and that's fine but in the end it's your hearing that must decide if it works for you, or perhaps better expressed, I want to hear it not just read it. That being said I'm still experimenting with tweeter positions and the positions there in now is #3.

Bumpy

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2018, 05:58 pm »
I too like to listen to every change and one beauty of OBs is that I have found them to be not that critical to driver positioning.

That reference is good at suggesting starting points. At present I favour the rear mounted upward facing tweeter as favoured by the iconic Wharfedale SFB speakers, but I haven't tried it yet. :)

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2018, 07:00 pm by Bumpy »

Monte Verdi

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2018, 08:42 pm »
Agreed, rear upward firing tweeter has worked in my experience. In fact I used it for years on my last OB project with the Alpair 12P. This time things are different as room is much larger as well as baffles in our new home. I tried them firing up at first so now just trying them in other places to see what I prefer. :popcorn:

Bumpy

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2018, 08:31 am »
OK Monte I'll watch with interest  :thumb:

Monte Verdi

« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2018, 04:58 pm »
One important thing I forgot to mention is that besides these Alnico driver's sounding incredibly beautiful they are inexpensive for a 10" inch Alnico $103 per driver and they will do a burn in at no extra cost!
As a footnote I am in no way affiliated with this company.