What happens to LFE if no sub?

jermmd

« on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:49 am »
What happens to the LFE channel if you run your speakers large and don't send the .1 output to a sub?  Does the information get sent to the front L andf R channel?

Joe M.

jermmd

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:15 pm »
Thanks to swordfish22 on AVS
you need to select "no sub" in your setup and the LFE signal will get sent to your mains

Is this how people who integrate their 2 channel set up with their home theater do it?  

Joe M.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:28 pm »
It depends.  I'm running dual subs, and my processor is supposed to have stereo subs but send the LFE to each sub.  I haven't been able to get this to work (the stereo subs don't work in -- you guessed it -- stereo, but do work in movies and 5-channel "fake" stereo), but I'm hoping a software update will fix this.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:32 pm »
Yes, if you have sub(s) integrated into your main speaker setup for 2 channel listening (or your mains go low enough and you own no subs), then tell your movie/surround processor that you have no subs so that the .1 lfe channel, along with possibly the low frequencies from the surrounds (if they are set up less than large) get sent to the mains.  In example 1, they will be handled by the mains subs, in example 2 they will get handled by the mains directly.  Of course, the subs can go by themselves as dedicated .1 lfe subs, or can be married to the surrounds for that matter (multiple sets of subs).

These examples are typical of most, but not all, processors.  YMMV.

Ted_B

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2005, 06:42 pm »
Ted,

Are you saying that if I tell my Outlaw 950 that I have no sub,  I can still set my center and surrounds to small with a crossover of 80hz and the frequencies below 80 to those speakers will be sent to the mains (set at large)?  And if I have the main speaker output going to my sub with the sub crossover set to 80, the sound to all my speakers should be the same as if I had the sub connected directly to the outlaws sub out with all speakers set to small and an 80hz crossover?
I hope so.

Joe M.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2005, 06:45 pm »
That's what my Lexicon would do.  

Ted_B

shokunin

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2005, 09:13 pm »
It depends on your processor, but that is also what my Theta will do.  Bass Management can be quite different amongst processors.  

What processor are you using?

jermmd

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2005, 09:35 pm »
Outlaw 950 for pre pro.  It is bypassed for 2 channel though.

Joe M.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2005, 12:59 am »
I would call Outlaw and ask, they have always proven very friendly on the phone with me, and I don't even own one...

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2005, 01:34 am »
Maybe I'll post on the Outlaw forum and see what people say.

Joe M.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2005, 02:20 am »
Quote from: jermmd
Maybe I'll post on the Outlaw forum and see what people say.

Joe M.

Why?   The Outlaw site has the darn manual in PDF form.  I just went there myself and found the following:  On page 26 the speaker config issues are addressed.  It's as we discussed.  However, analog bass mgmt (pg 32, for mch DVD-A and SACD) is an all or nothing switch; either the high pass 80hz is on for ALL speakers in that mode, or it's off for all speakers.  Dunno what happens if you have no sub in that scenario, but it implies you lose the 80hz on down.  So if you have no sub or its crossed over with your mains, don't bother with bass mgmt in the 5.1 analog inputs.  For regular bass mgmt, you are fine.

Ted_B

jermmd

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2005, 04:13 am »
Thanks Ted, that was exactly what I wanted to know.  I was going to check my manual when I get home in a couple of hours.

Joe m.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2005, 04:31 am »
Quote from: jermmd
Thanks to swordfish22 on AVS
you need to select "no sub" in your setup and the LFE signal will get sent to your mains

Is this how people who integrate their 2 channel set up with their home theater do it?  

Joe M.

Joe,

My subs are part of my L/R channels and handled via my TACT preamp.  I don't run a sub out or a center channel in my HT.  As you can attest, neither is negatively impacting the system capabilities.

George