100/220V: Does it matter for AC receptacles!!

rsjaurr

100/220V: Does it matter for AC receptacles!!
« on: 10 Nov 2018, 11:56 am »
I'm from India and have bought my power cables from USA based online merchants may also explore for sale section for more options. I'm building my first stereo audio system and have already bought Focal 1038BE and Halo A21. Now I want some AC receptacles like Pangea, PS audio etc to build power extension board.

As these AC outlets have no cap, fuse etch so does it matter if these are used for 100 or 220 V applications? It seems straight forward answer but whatever I have read online on online merchant sites they do not recommend for 220V.

Branson4020

Re: 100/220V: Does it matter for AC receptacles!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2018, 07:02 pm »
Just to be clear,  do you want to run your system  DIRECTLY off 230V 50hz power?

rsjaurr

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2018, 07:05 pm »
Yes of course as we get 230V in India like EU.

Sorry about title typo. It should have been 110/230V.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2018, 07:09 pm »
IT is important for fire safety that the duplex be rated for the highest voltage it might be used with.
However the most important reason the makers will not comment on 220v use is legal.
They cannot afford to be sued just for saying "Sure go ahead and use the Duplex for 220V."
The blade design of the usual USA audio quality duplex are such that they can be used ONLY for 120Volts, with either a 15 amp circuit, or a 20 amp circuit. but NOT for 220 volts (in USA system)

My suggestion is to IGNORE the voltage issue in the duplex. but mainly consider the Amperage allowed. IF you calculate what wattage 20 amperes at 120 volts can be, vs your 220V at X amperage the point the amperage calculates to 'no greater' total wattage than the equivalent 120v at 20 amps.. If your use falls below that wattage (using 220v) then I would say you are safe to use them at 220v.
I would say keeping an eye on the new duplex for HEAT. if they heat up AT ALL (when used at your highest energy usage) they are not safe.
So good luck, and I hope they can work for you.
Be aware some folks will argue the points I wrote. Mainly for safety rules.
I like breaking rules....
Branson brings up a good point. Are you using a form of transformer to change your voltage for US type 120v equipment? If so then zero problem once the voltage is at 120v.
If you are using 220V and the equipment is adjusted to use 220V. Then what I wrote I still suggest. If the makers of the cords will not commit to how safe etc. Ask them just WHAT VOLTAGE IS THE WIRE INSULATION RATED TO? That is a question they certainly can answer.
Also a lot US powercord wire is good to 600 volts. Not all, but a lot if it.
In a wire, the voltage maximum IS an important specification. (more so in wire than in an outlet where the physical build of any outlet is usually way better at handling higher 220 volts))
Using wire with insulation which cannot handle the higher voltage is very dangerous.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2018, 08:45 pm by Elizabeth »

rsjaurr

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2018, 04:03 am »
Thanks for detailed explanation and that made sense. I thought about total wattage. I think I am good to go with these outlets.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2018, 01:21 pm »
Gee, twice in one month that I agree with Elizabeth!
USA connectors are designed with pin shapes and positions so the plugs only match the correct voltage receptacles and that high current plugs can only be used on high current circuits.
Because the USA system is 120/240V, everything is tested for at least 240V.
Current capacity doesn't know or care if it's 12V, 120 or 240V.

rsjaurr

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2018, 03:19 pm »
Well thanks guys for clearing my doubts.
Now instead of doing the hard work myself of DIYing power box I can just buy used 8 outlets power conditioner for $300-400. Surely I can not just use 110V compatible unit with 230V?

HT cOz

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2018, 03:36 pm »
Rsjaurr

I've been living in India for the last two years and you can use USA power plugs no problem.  What you have to be aware of is if the device is designed for 220v and if it has a voltage adjust switch or an internal jumper etc. A 110v appliance without step down will not last long and might cause fire or other serious harm.  Your step down transformers should be rated 3x the usage of the device.  I have some big 2,000 watt devices for my front end audio equipment.  Amps can be made to run on 220v with some planning. 

rsjaurr

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2018, 05:26 am »
I have been using quite a few electronics bought from USA with step down converters since 2011 without any issue. I have four step down converters connected to TV, BDP, winter Blanket, Icecream maker :lol: etc. I'm well aware of this part but online discussion, reviews and description confused me regarding these AC outlets.

I want to source these from USA because in India we don't get more than 15AMP universal outlets.

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2018, 04:27 pm »
Down in Chennai the wire behind the wall can be small and if you pull too much current the plugs melt really quickly and fuse together.  I wouldn’t run some giant amps!!! lol Probably more efficient switched power supplies are better. Etc.

rsjaurr

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2018, 02:17 pm »
Down in Chennai the wire behind the wall can be small and if you pull too much current the plugs melt really quickly and fuse together.  I wouldn’t run some giant amps!!! lol Probably more efficient switched power supplies are better. Etc.

I'm almost 2500Km away from Chennai in the upper North part of India. :)

I will be installing a good quality thick wire (at least 6sqmm) from mains till custom made stabilizer and isolation transformer.

Mike B.

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2018, 04:37 pm »
When I owned Acme Audio I sold thousands of 120 volt modified Pass And Seymour AC outlets to 220 users. I took apart both a 120 and 220 duplex outlet first and the internal contact were identical. Same with 15 and 20 amp models. The only difference was the faceplate blade configuration.