Plitron Transformer Wiring

Carlman

« on: 11 Mar 2003, 02:25 pm »
I'm at my wits end figuring out how my transformers work.  I have 2 Plitron 300VA 33-0-33.  I have a TYPE 7 primary...
I have gotten advice from Plitron and Hugh but, both differ somewhat from the label on the actual transformer.

I'm getting odd voltage readings and I don't want to destroy anything.  Nothing is connected to the PCB's yet.  I'm just trying to get the wiring right.  I've searched Harmonic Discord, and tried very hard to understand what goes where but, I keep ending up frustrated.  I'd post my readings but, my internet connection went down last night and I forgot to grab them this morning on the way to work.  All I can remember is that I kept getting 37.5VAC from Red to yellow secondary wires.

If anyone has installed a Plitron transformer in their AKSA 100, please provide how you wired:
Switch to Primaries
Secondaries to AC1 and AC2

I greatly appreciate your help.  I'm not an electrician, nor do I play one on TV...  nor will I attempt to until I've learned more about electronics!

Carlman

This was answered a month ago... doh!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2003, 02:42 pm »
I just found THIS thread....
The way it is explained is exactly how I had it wired (primaries and secondaries) but, when I connected blue and yellow together, it  blew the mains fuse.  I'll look into it again when I get home tonight.
hmmmmmm.

Maybe the switch is wired wrong.  more double checking...

PSP

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2003, 10:57 pm »
Carlman,
I'm on the road right now, 1500 miles away from my AKSA... but when I wired up my AKSA 100 sub amp, the inrush transient blew out a circuit protected by a Ground Fault Interupt outlet (these are for vulnerable circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, and basement wash areas that sense rapid current flow and shut down the line to prevent electrocution if you drop the hair dryer in the bathtub... you push in a little black button to reset the outlet)... but when I used a normal 15amp circuit, the fuse didn't blow.  The amp has been working several months now, no problem.

I've wired several Plitron transformers... If I remember right, yellow and blue form the center tap, black and brown go to one leg of the AC, orange and white go to the other.  Red is one leg of the 33v AC output, gray is the other leg of the 33v AC output.

Good luck,
Peter

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:32 pm »
Peter,
Wow! thanks for responding even while traveling.  If you ever get anywhere near Durham, NC, please let me know...  I'd be a most gracious host.

It's all wired and sounds great at the moment.  I do not have breaking outlets (DFCI?) so, that's not an issue.  I have 121 Vac.  

Hugh has been helping me along on this.  I've made some mistakes that only someone standing next to me would notice.  It seems so simple now.  And, I have it wired exactly as Peter has described.

Since it sounds good and there's no smoke, I'm feeling pretty good about it!  Just need to solder it all down and bolt up the case.

Thanks again for responding... and for the taking the time to creat the post explaining the whole procedure.

This is a great support forum.  It adds a tremendous value to the product.  I mean, it beats B&K, Mark Levinson, et. al.  

-Carl