Dallas Audio Club meet - This Saturday, Jan 22nd.

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« on: 17 Jan 2005, 09:18 pm »
Open invite to our AC friends, I don't need RSVP's, but would appreciate it if I could get a rough feel for how many will be attending, so I can plan grub / drinks etc.  BYOB.

11am - whenever. Be there, or loose hair. I think I'm covered on pretty much everything, sources, etc - if someone wants to listen to SACD, bring a player - mine hasn't come in yet.  Maybe a couple more pairs of interconnects if someone wanted to bring something.

That being said, feel free to bring whatever you want gear wise also, I'll have 3 listening areas setup. I don't have any of my tables set up, but if someone wants to hear some vinyl, let me know and I'll get them setup.

No particular agenda, good music, good friends - all audio, no attitude.

Room 1:
Polk SDA SRS 2 w/ upgraded tweeters
Vandersteen 2
Carver TFM-45 375w solid state
Parasound HCA-1000a THX 135w solid state
Melos SHA-1 6922 Tube Line Amp
AMC CD8B CDP
MIT

Room 2:
PSB Century 800i
Spendor 1/2
Audire Crescendo 75w solid state
Beard P-100 KT88 100w Tube push-pull
Melos SHA-1 6922 Tube Line Amp
AMC CD8B CDP
Audio Alchemcy DAC / Jitter Reducer
Audioquest / Signal Cable / PS Audio

Room 3:
Univeristy Triax
Electrovoice Triax
Polk Monitor 60
Polk RT7
B&W DM303
Rat Shack Tuned Quarter Wave
Radii MMP-01 Tube Line Amp
Radii MPP-08 6BM8 8w Tube push-pull
Dynaco SCA-35 Tube Integrated
Marantz CD-63se CDP
Chord / DH Labs / Signal Cable

+ much, MUCH more

Addy: 5801 Hidden Pine Lane, McKinney 75070
Phone: 214-287-7476

Just northwest of 121 and 75.

Cheers,
Russ

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Jam
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2005, 12:09 pm »
Thanks Russ for Hosting.   Also A big thank you to 3moons for the note on the meeting.  I will be there.  Let me know if would like to hear any other equipment.  I could bring the Audio Logic DAC and or Dodd Audio 8 Watt Mono Blocks.  I may have my Panasonic Xr-Sa45 modded by Wayne.  Just don't know if it will be here by then.  It gets shipped to me today from NY.  Let me know.  Look forward to seeing everybody.  Guy

brj

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2005, 10:25 pm »
Russ - thanks for the invite!  It looks like you will have a ton of interesting "toys" to audition.  As far as I know, I have no conflicts at this point, so count me in your "will attend" column, if you don't mind!

Guy, if you have your modded XR45 by then, I'd love to hear it, since I've been thinking of going down that route!  Don't go out of your way if it isn't broken in, however.

Thanks to all for organizing the get-together!

-Brian

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2005, 11:43 pm »
brj, I just checked the fed-x tracking number and it should be here fri. and it is already broken in.  I also have a Transcendent sound Grounded Grid w/remote I could bring if anyone wants to here it.  It might be for sale.

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2005, 03:58 pm »
First of all, anything Dodd is MORE than welcome in my humble abode.

You guys can bring whatever you want it, the only downside I can see, from my experience with audio meets, is that it may get little or no playtime, depending on the crowd.

I just don't want someone to go through the effort of hauling something in, and having it sit there - I've been there myself, and it can be frustrating.

In two of my rooms, the gear is pretty much in racks, so disassembling, swapping anything other than sources is something I'm not real keen on, just because it's a pain in the ass.  However, the third room will be 'open' with gear on simple stands, so swapping out components will be a cake walk in there.

So far, we've got 2-3 members from AC coming, that's GREAT!

Cheers,
Russ

cryoparts

Jam
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2005, 06:18 pm »
I'll most likely be able to be there.

I look forward to meeting y'all!

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2005, 08:38 pm »
Sounds great, looking forward to it.

cryoparts

Jammin
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2005, 11:51 pm »
Are the Dodd's coming for sure?

I missed the last couple of jams and would love to check them out.

markn

Sat. Meet
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2005, 10:31 pm »
Gary Dodd and I will be there too...

Thanks,

Mark

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2005, 02:55 am »
Look forward to meeting you Mark, if I haven't already.

Guy, I haven't talked to Gary (not sure if he's bringing any goodies), so feel free to bring the Dodd monos.  It will be fun to hear them smoke my Chinese 8w amp.

Beleive it or not, I'm about to vacuum for you guys.  

Cheers,
Russ

brj

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2005, 03:03 am »
Quote from: RuSsMaN
Beleive it or not, I'm about to vacuum for you guys.

There goes the room treatment! :lol:

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2005, 03:29 am »
Oh, don't worry about my rooms, they are PERFECT for 2ch listening.

They are all perfectly square, with low ceilings, tile floors, and wood paneling on all the walls.  That, and I have a HUGE glass coffee table setup in front of each system. ;)

Cheers,
Russ

brj

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2005, 03:47 am »
:lol: :lol:

Concrete furniture too?  :)

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2005, 04:03 am »
I wish.

All I have for now is plastic-resin lawn furniture, and a couple of bench seats out of an old Dodge van.  I will say the flip-up ashtrays in the armrests are a nice touch.

Cheers,
Russ

brj

Thanks Russ!
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2005, 10:15 pm »
Just a quick note to offer a public "thank you" to RuSsMaN for hosting a fun get-together yesterday.  It looks like the Dallas Audio Club has quite a few members, judging by the turnout.  There were a couple of other AC members that made it, but regardless of original connection, it seemed like everyone had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone else.  Russ had three rooms going with a huge variety of gear (as mentioned in his first post). We swapped a bunch of stuff around, but didn't do any formal comparisons that I was aware of.

Lots of fun, Russ - thanks!

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2005, 04:09 am »
Great meet guys.

I didn't get a formal count, but I would say we pushed 20 people, if not more at the peak.

Pat was kind enough to bring one of his amps, and the build alone is nothing short of impressive.  Fred, from the Lone Star Bottlehead group brought up his Fostex Voight Pipes, and they were very 'liquid' and a treat to listen to, on the Radii 8w push-pull amp.  The SDA SRS never fail to impress on soundstage and bass loading, and this meet was no different.  The Vandersteens only re-inforced their 'proven' design, that has seen little change in it's what, 20 year production run?

I think the show-stopper, based on feedback I got from attendees was the Spendor 1/2's on the 'big' Beard KT88 push-pull.  I think if anyone was to try and pull a smash and grab, it would have been with a Spendor under each arm.

Lots of good music, good bullshitting, and good times.  Any of you guys are welcome here anytime, and I look forward to the next meet.  We will have pics on the Dallas Audio Club group page in the next few days.

Thanks again fellas, it was a treat to host you all.

Cheers,
Russ