Any SAM owners in the Dallas Fort Worth area?

ColSanderz

Any SAM owners in the Dallas Fort Worth area?
« on: 21 Oct 2018, 01:17 am »
Hey everyone,

I've been talking with Louis for the last week or two about getting his SAM HO XRS speakers. It's a big potential move for me, since it would be replacing my vandersteen treo's.

I took the leap previously and purchased a beautiful pair of super 8 monitors from him. Overall, I love how they sound. Very musical and exceptional imaging. Decent bass but I could see myself using a sub with them to be happy. The only thing I don't like about them is that they still are bright for me and can be fatiguing at times. Louis assured me that the Alnico drivers won't be as bright.

Anyways, the only thing keeping me from going all in is that I've never heard his Alnico driver. So, is there anyone in the area with one of his Alnico offerings? I know if I heard them in person that would allay any worries that my wife and I still have.

Thanks everyone!

pstrisik

• It ain't easy being an audiophile in Alaska!
Re: Any SAM owners in the Dallas Fort Worth area?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2018, 04:57 pm »
Certainly worth getting a listen if you can find one.  I will share, however, that I originally had the Super 7 XRS with both a ferrite driver (no whizzer) and an alnico driver (with whizzer).  For me, the ferrite was too bright, even without the whizzer.  The alnico was much more pleasant.  In addition it had, what I call, texture.  Reeds, like sax, voices, guitar strings, all had a richer sound.  I later upgraded to SAMs and those same characteristics were even more pronounced.  Next step are the SAM HOs that Louis is now building for me. 

I have monitors and the XRS versions would definitely have a bit more bass strength and the HO versions should help in that regard as well.  Still, I use bass augmentation.

HTH,    .....Peter

jmolsberg

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2018, 06:56 pm »
Col, out of curiosity, how long did you break them in for? My rs5 took a few months to relax.

ColSanderz

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:13 pm »
Sorry, I just saw your reply. My work was nice enough to let me run them (far louder than is comfortable) in one of their recording studios over the weekend. Did that for 4 weekends straight, so at least 200 hours. Also played them several hours a day during the week. I'd say I have 300-400 hours on them.

I'll say, at low volumes, the brightness doesn't bother me, but anything louder and that's when the fatigue starts to kick in. It's more apparent with a solid state amp than the EL84 set amp I'm using with them right now.

My wife likes the look of the omegas though :) so we're planning on getting the SAM HO or HO XRS, just waiting for the funds.