Hey Scott--Lowther Tweaks?

bmed

« on: 16 Jan 2005, 09:30 pm »
Scott-

I've been researching cabinets, trying to decide between the Lowthers in Medallions or Fostex (FE208 sigs) in the recommended enclosure.  It seems that the Medallions weren't designed for the Lowther PM2a's and the some compression chamber tweaking is needed, but there is no specifics given regarding calculation of this; it's more of an experimenting with sheets of Deflex (rather crude).   I'm a little worried that there may be too much tweaking involved and that my knowledge base will not be sufficient to get these to their optimum.   Just wondering if you've performed any of the tweaks on the Lowther-America site or any others for that matter?  What has and hasn't worked for you?  Have you tried the Gizmo's?  I may need to lug my amps/preamp back to your place for a more detailed listen :D .

Cheers,
Brad

Scott F.

Re: Hey Scott--Lowther Tweaks?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2005, 05:50 am »
Quote from: bmed
Scott-

I've been researching cabinets, trying to decide between the Lowthers in Medallions or Fostex (FE208 sigs) in the recommended enclosure.  It seems that the Medallions weren't designed for the Lowther PM2a's and the some compression chamber tweaking is needed, but there is no specifics given regarding calculation of this; it's more of an experimenting with sheets of Deflex (rather crude).   I'm a little worried that there may be too much tweaking involved and that my knowledge base will not be sufficient to get these to their optimum. Just wondering if you've performed any of the tweaks on the Lowther-America site or any others for that matter? What has and hasn't worked for you? Have you tried the Gizmo's? I may need to lug my amps/preamp back to your place for a more detailed listen

Brad,

Sorry, I just saw your post. Been busy writing trying to meet deadlines (you know how that is).

Well, when it comes to tweaks, what I did was the Dflex and the wool felt in the compression chamber. Now I haven't tried Art's (Dudley's) Tonsils yet. Jon calls them something different on his website. Art set them to some time ago but I haven't played with them yet. Now that I think about it, it may have been Tony Glynn that sent them to me.

Anyway, since I use the Goodmans as subs, I really don't worry about the bass. I useually keep my XO set at 100Hz unless I'm listeing to rock, then I switch it up to 200Hz. Now Jon has something cooking where he's using a sub in the hollow base of the Medallions. He uses a plate amp to drive it and has it down firing. I think he has the XO point set somewhere near 80Hz.

The compression chamber tweak for the PM2A's is actually pretty easy. All you are doing is reducing the volume. The way Art did it was to cut them in a semi-circle to provide a smooth transition to force the backwave down the throat of the chamber. That was probably a little confusing but I've got drawings here somewhere.

Jon, Art and Tony all swear by them. All of them are using PM2A's. I want to say the Medallion was designed around the PM6A origonally. After people heard the PM2A in it, everybody started recommending it.

I haven't tried the Gizmo's yet. Was that Ron W that has those or was it Steve at Decware, I forget?

Tell you what, give me a buzz and we can talk some more. I've PM'ed you with my #.

Oh BTW, the DRD's are on the way :mrgreen:

bmed

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2005, 03:33 pm »
Scott-

Thanks for the info.  I'm really struggling to figure out what my next step is.  I've been looking into everything from Medallions/Lowthers, Lamhorn/AER, Oris horns, Fostex; you name it, I've been looking into it, reading everything I can find.

I'll try to give you a buzz.  I may need to give your Medallions another listen.

Cheers,
Brad

G

Re: Hey Scott--Lowther Tweaks?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2005, 11:14 pm »
Quote from: bmed
Scott-

I've been researching cabinets, trying to decide between the Lowthers in Medallions or Fostex (FE208 sigs) in the recommended enclosure.  It seems that the Medallions weren't designed for the Lowther PM2a's and the some compression chamber tweaking is needed, but there is no specifics given regarding calculation of this; it's more of an experimenting with sheets of Deflex (rather crude).   I'm a little worried that there may be too much tweaking involved and that my knowledge base will not be suff ...

The most important thing to iron out is how you want them to sound. Then  proceed with the "tweaks". You have to have a goal before you can achieve it. All of these tweaks are meant to achieve a sound that you like. Not what other people like. It's a very subjective and personal thing. What are the deficiencies that you are hearing?