Rust proofing, does it work?

I.Greyhound Fan

Rust proofing, does it work?
« on: 30 Sep 2018, 12:25 am »
I just bought a new 2018 Mazda 6 Turbo GT Reserve Edition along with the special Red Paint.  It will be delivered to my home on Monday.  I am going to get the Ceramic paint treatment which is warrantied for 7 years.  They also offer undercoat rust proofing for $600.  I live in Minnesota.  I will be keeping the car a long time as I purchased their lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.  I usually keep my cars 8-10 years depending upon the mileage and condition.  I will probably be putting about 5,000 miles per year on the car as I live about 3/4 mile from work now.

My question is, is it worth it for the rust treatment?  I have read in years past that all this does is help a little with road noise but it does not help with rust.  Mazda offers a 10 year guaranty against rust.

Thanks!

Larry

jules

Re: Rust proofing, does it work?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2018, 12:33 am »
This isn't a direct reply to your question but what I've found with rust is that how you garage the car makes a huge difference. If you have a garage that's warmed, either by the sun or heating, the car doesn't sit around quietly rusting after each and every trip where it gets wet.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2018, 12:37 am »
This isn't a direct reply to your question but what I've found with rust is that how you garage the car makes a huge difference. If you have a garage that's warmed, either by the sun or heating, the car doesn't sit around quietly rusting after each and every trip where it gets wet.

My garage is fking cold as it faces north.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2018, 12:55 am »
As I’m sure you know, the problem is the road salt and chemicals, not really the snow and rain itself. Regularly wash your car through the winter and I think you’ll be doing about everything you can keep corrosion at bay. I lived in South Dakota and now live in Wisconsin, so I totally understand the concern. Also, any time you get a rock chip that exposes the metal, fill it in ASAP to keep moisture and junk out of the "wound." In most modern vehicles where I’ve seen rust, it appears to start where deep scratches and rock chips were left exposed. That you live really close to work helps. If I were in your shoes and looking to keep my vehicular investment in top condition, I’d look at maybe just buying a winter beater to get to and from work, instead of buying the paint protectant.

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2018, 12:59 am »
Buffalo climate similar to Minn.  Salt will always conquer in the end  My experience is to have the rust proofing done annually from a specialized 3rd party.  You will win some battles, but the not the war.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2018, 01:03 am »
When I was living in the mid-west RUST PROOFING seemed to go away as the factory painting changed over the years.  Any more they take the chassis and dip it along with the electron painting ( or what ever the proper term is.) 

The undercoating is still around in a limited  market and seems to be directed at folks that drive gravel roads.

And with your climate and  road salt that is a whole different matter.   What do your work mates do?

I guess how many car washes with under body spray will the same $$ get??

And yep a dry garage that is warmed is critical.  I try to get the wife to park outside and allow the car to drip with me retrieving a short time later.  And she still dosen't understand why I clean the mold off the bottom of the garage door each year  :duh: :duh: :duh:
But that is what you get in Oregon.  I have actually installed a fan on a timer for this year. 

Alan