Magneplan 30.7 visit Jacksonville

drrsutliff

Magneplan 30.7 visit Jacksonville
« on: 25 Aug 2018, 06:41 pm »
Last night I caught up with the Magnepan 30.7s and Wendell Diller on their cross continent tour.  The demonstration was hosted in Jacksonville FL by the House of Stereo.  I have been a long time acquaintance and client of the House of Stereo and had multiple occasions to enjoy their Magnepan 20.7s in one of their well-designed two channel listening rooms.  I have always enjoyed the acoustic of this room which is large, not over dampened, and not too lively.
Knowing this room with the Ayre amplification and DAC, Wolf Audio Server, VPI analogue, along with Audience Cables and Power Conditioning allowed me a special comparison of just replacing the 20.7s with the 30.7s.  Wendell set up the room as it has been described in previous tour write ups with most of the room cleared, including the proverbial “sweet spot”, enabling the participants to freely move through the sound field.  Not only could we move about the room, we were expressly encouraged to do just that!  Mr Diller started the demonstration with a short introduction about what he described as the “Power Curve”.  The description was followed by the participants visiting multiple areas within the demonstration room, while music played, with an expectation we would have a similar musical experience at each location.  The power curve description proposed that, with the 30.7s, all points in the room would receive similar power and subsequently a similar musical presentation.  This proposition did bear fruit in my experience moving about this room. 
The 30.7 in their touring colors of blue trim and white cloth are impressive and visually bright in person.  Powered by the Ayre VX-5/20 through Audience AU24SX speaker cables the sound was everything excellent I have experienced with planers before with the addition of a dynamic in the bass that has always lacked for me previously.  The 20.7s in this room and system always were enjoyable and engaging.  The 30.7s were at a different level.  When symphonic Tympani drums hit you in the gut, as they are supposed to in the Copland piece that was used as a system warmup, you know these are not your father’s planers.  The sound of the 30.7 was both enveloping and precise.  The soundstage was very defined and with great depth that did not disappear or really change as you moved away from the “sweet spot” area to almost any point in the room.  There was a little collapse as we walked behind the speakers but this was not a concern to myself. 
In the appropriate sized room that can produce music without distracting barrier reflections and other echo artifacts these 30.7s produced music in a way that altered my planar perception.  I have the same Ayre amp and DAC… Similar Audience cables… Excellent Vinyl…  Now I just need that MUCH larger house with the dedicated room and my order for the 30.7s will be called in…   Thank you Magnepan, Wendell Diller, and the House of Stereo.

Phil A

Re: Magneplan 30.7 visit Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2018, 07:50 pm »
House of Stereo is a really nice store.  I stopped there on one trip down (from up North) during the process of going back and forth before I moved to Central FL.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2018, 10:54 pm »
I am looking forward to the tour hitting the Northeast.
Thanks for the write up!

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2018, 11:57 pm »
Thanks for the review.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the House of Stereo listening room?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2018, 02:45 am »
Thanks for the review.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the House of Stereo listening room?

Don't know the answer but there is more than one space where they have things set-up.  Their website has pics and other info - https://www.houseofstereo.com/showroom.htm

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:56 am »

ngamountains

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2018, 01:28 am »
Can anyone post a link that shows where and when this tour is stopping?  All I can find online is history of what’s taken place where it has already been.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2018, 02:39 am »
Don't know about a link but it's likely to be via their dealer network so perhaps calling the dealer closest to you?  http://www.magnepan.com/dealer_locations

drrsutliff

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2018, 10:54 am »
Wendell said he was going to Savannah GA from Jacksonville and then further north assuming up the coast.  He mentioned he was heading towards the northeast where there was a high density of stores and demonstrations in his future...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2018, 02:34 pm »
  I'm sure the new Maggie are wonderful as described. I want to know before getting hot and bothered how big a space is required for best sound.
  That is what would make any decision on purchase. Great is great but in the wrong room worthless. Easy answer.

charles

drrsutliff

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2018, 03:36 pm »
I checked with House of Stereo today and they stated the room with the Magnepan demo has dimensions of 16’ x 26’ x10’.