Vintage Old Fart

cubaking

Vintage Old Fart
« on: 23 Aug 2018, 10:27 am »
Greetings and thanks for the nod. Just here to nose around. Not really an audiofile. My set up has been collecting dust for the last 25 years....yeah pathetic. I have a MAC 4100, Martin Logan Sequels and a early Revox single CD player . Because I deal in fine paintings (on occasion) I am here mostly to investigate cleaning (nope its not the patina of the horrific fake wood grain, LOL. Still I want to be cautious IF I decide to clean these up. Obviously I could and should have them cleaned by pro's. The challenge is I drive a scooter, live 4 blocks inside of Nogales, Mexico  70 miles from Tucson now and you begin to see why it is easy to procrastinate. OK I am just a lazy fat FK too. Kind of like my 560SEC that has been sitting in my backyard for 15 years. In any case back in the day, there was no Tortuga and I had a Audio Research SP-10 preamp that my nephew talked me out of about 20 years ago. Now that I have assumed the position (as my Pop's used to say) and am grabbing my ankles waiting for my punishment have at it !

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Vintage Old Fart
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2018, 10:46 am »
Welcome.  :beer:

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2018, 11:06 am »
Well, not sure how to take that last part  :lol: but welcome to the sweet spot

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:15 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2018, 09:10 pm »
Welcome Cubaking :thumb:

cubaking

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2018, 11:05 pm »
Thanks Men !  Any ideas on cleaning my equipment?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2018, 11:07 pm »
Dusting with a small vacuum always good, if you can open the cover.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2018, 03:11 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC cubaking   :thumb:  Modest air blasting, generally not with canned air which has other chemicals, from an air tank @ less than 100 psi should get what FRM's vacuuming doesn't. I do that to all my computers from time to time, as well as some of my gear. A post in the DIY section of your question will probably get more & better specific responses.   8)

cubaking

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2018, 09:27 am »
Thanks, air it is (for the Mac)

cubaking

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:13 am »
I suppose I should have said what I listen to, but it is pretty eclectic. Maybe it is easier to start with what I never listen too,,:-)  Twangy country (in any language), polkas, bubblegum, and gangsta. I like most opera, yet feel German it too guttural to bear. I like India (East), plenty of Latino and particularly those with Afro Cuban and Brazilian West African roots. RB, Motown, most rock, soul, but all but upbeat jazz puts me asleep. classic 420 reggae, Yah Mahn, Jerry & the boys, Zep, Stones, Jack and Meg, ELO, British rock, some garage, occasionally something contemporary, Hip Hop, some indigenous stuff, some country rock, ballads are the trickiest...it just depends.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:46 pm »
  Hola Amigo. A fun place to hang.

charles

cubaking

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2018, 08:26 am »
un placer a conocerte !

cubaking

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2018, 08:28 am »
Jumping to the finish line. I did take everyone's advice. dialed down the vacuum (Miele canister) to lowest suction and applied to the total unit before attacking the vent. I ran it there for a solid minute and slowly cranked it up to about 20%, let it settle and doubled the suction there (I had to help one larger piece with a Q tip into the suction tube. 60% I returned to the rest of the unit but decided to avoid the knobs until last. I never made it to 100% as (well you know the "chrome off the trailer hitch" metaphor)....and my vac is an animal.  Went back twice then did a normal cleaning.MOMENT OF TRUTH: She lights up after I recheck the connections and my expression changes from apprehensive to cautiously optimistic. Radio first or go for the gusto My two friends who are enjoying a flaming cocktail (I abstained, but did have a few sips of the fine Mexican Bohemia I was serving) of course convince me to wait on the radio. Now the long discussion of what music to sample. Billy lobbies for digital Dead set he brought. Hector wants old school vinyl  and is tapping his finger on an old 1 Studio 45 from Jamaica titled Real Rock by Sound Dimension. I overrule both opting for a wider sound range Debussy's Clair de Lune is  my choice ( maybe I just wanted to hear them groan) . Bottom line is worked fine, we  checked out all the aux from turntable, tape CD and the radio. I put it on Craig's List a few days ago (Tucson) for 1100, I figure I'll stand firm at 800 after studying the market. I'd like to keep it, but I'm just not ready to rebuild with a Tortuga right now, it's a shame, but maybe it will find a good home or maybe it just returns home, we'll see. Thanks again for the help everyone !