Need good sources for veneer

JoshK

« on: 10 Mar 2003, 06:48 pm »
I am soon to embark upon my first ever DIY speaker (tang band, so easy xo'less design) and am planning to build my own boxes.  However, I have no idea where to get nice veneers.  I know Grizzly.com sells some but are there other places I should check or know about?

I haven't even picked what veneer I want but nothing too exotic for my first try at it.  Probably stick to cherry veneer or something of the like.

gonefishin

« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2003, 10:40 pm »
Hi Josh.

woodworkers.com is another you may want to try.  Do you have a home improvement store near by?  Many of these stores stock some of the "more popular" requests for real wood veneers.  Also, check in your phonebook...you may have a woodworking specialty shop in your area that you never noticed!  (this happened to me)

take your time...and have fun!

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2003, 11:50 pm »
I got some very nice cherry veneer off of Ebay, I got six
huge sheets for less than $60.

You can see the veneer in the gallery, on my MTM speakers.

-Pete

beat

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2003, 01:52 am »
My best buddy lives in brooklyn and is a builder, I'll ask him what's in your hood..I'll get back to you.
....http://www.macbeath.com/order/index.htmlv ..This is where I used to shop for serious furniture wood, very professional, nice warehouse, no crap wood, the plywood was always nice and flat, everything under one roof. Apparently they mail order now.
 beat

billfort

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2003, 06:08 pm »
I bought cherry veneer for my large Altec cabinets from www.tapeease.com. A little expensive but their wood backed veneer was very high quality and easy to work with. I'll use them again.

This page has some pictures of the results I got with this veneer http://www.wardsweb.org/Billfort/

Billfort

Brian Bunge

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2003, 04:54 am »
I'll second Billfort's recommendation of Tape-Ease.  If you look at the various pics on my site you'll see the quality of the veneers they sell.  They're the only supplier I'ved used and have no reason to look elsewhere.