Input Impedance

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Input Impedance
« on: 13 Jan 2005, 01:25 pm »
What is the input impedance for the 55wpc and 100wpc AKSA amps?

Thanks,

WEEZ

Input Impedance
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2005, 09:00 pm »
Dave,

I think I read deep into the Aspen Circle that the input impedence is 43k. If true, then most tubed pre-amps should be compatable.

WEEZ

AKSA

Input Impedance
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2005, 10:04 pm »
Hi WEEZ,

My thanks, right on the money!

David,

R1, base bias resistor on both AKSA power amplifiers, is 47K.  However, the input goes to the base of a LTP running half a milliamp per side, and this reduces overall input impedance to 43K.

This high input impedance was set up to accommodate tube preamps with common cathode output stages.

Cheers,

Hugh

OBF

Input Impedance
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2005, 12:42 am »
Hi.  Just out of curiosity, a high input impedance is never a bad thing is it?  I know a low i.i. can cause problems with a high output impendance source, but is there any downside to a highish i.i.?

JoshK

Input Impedance
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2005, 01:22 am »
I've heard it said that low i.i. can lower the noise floor, I guess that is why some do it.

What about the input sensitivity of the 55 vs the 100, are they close?  IIRC (and correct me if I am wrong here) if the i.i are the same and the gain is the same, then the input sensitivity should be the same.  Correct?

*Only on page 250 of my first electronic textbook*

AKSA

Input Impedance
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2005, 01:49 am »
Josh,

You've nailed it.  Both have a fixed gain of 38.3, which is a highish 31.6dB.  Their sensitivity is the same (both into 8R, of course).

I chose a high gain so that the amps could be driven via a passive preamp directly from a digital source.  This is not normal audio convention, of course, but it accords nicely with the Aspen minimalist approach.

Cheers,

Hugh

JoshK

Input Impedance
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2005, 01:56 am »
My idea was for minimalist biamping, whether they work well.  As I understand it, matching input sensitivity = easy passive biamping, i.e. no attenuation needed on one of the amps.  

In my case, owning the IRD Purist, I have indepently driven dual outputs which gives me lots of ideas for placing the passive xo in the line level before the amps and biamping!

OBF

Input Impedance
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2005, 02:01 am »
Out of curiosity #2, what is the rated sensitivity?

For the demo, I had just enough gain in some cases with a transformer based passive.  Usually only an issue with some live recordings that are kind of quiet, but my source is around 2v.  Not sure if that's RMS or peak-to-peak, but I would guess the latter (Bolder smART DIO) since I sometimes have to run my pre at full volume w/ my amp and it's rated at a 2v sensitivity.