Stand heights for 1801's

randog

Stand heights for 1801's
« on: 10 Mar 2003, 04:17 pm »
Dave and others, can you tell me what you perceive to be the optimal stand height for the 1801's?

Thanks,
Randy

Darren Thomas

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2003, 08:37 pm »
Hello ello ello llo llo o o o o ....

Wow, pretty silent out there Randy, I'd answer but I already gave you my thoughts on it and thought someone here might have better info.

I'll just sit here with ya and wait for a while. Pass me a beer would ya?

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Stand Height
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2003, 09:11 pm »
I'll convey the theoretical and what I hear in this matter.

Theoretically, there is the design height of the crossover.  This is the height where the reverse null is deepest.  With the 1801 this happens on axis with the tweeter.  This means that the theoretical tweeter height should be at ear level  :o  - right???

Well, sure, but I don't hear the magic when being at the perfect height.  There isn't a very narrow 1" window where things are just right, and the converse nasties when NOT within that window.   :?:   I suppose there is some possibility of hearing the most ideal phase position, but it escapes my ears.

The 1801 tweeter is about 16 1/2" from the base of the speaker.  Measure your sitting ear height, then subtract 16 1/2" for the ideal.  If you can't fid the perfect height stand, don't worry about it.

Dave

Darren Thomas

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2003, 09:14 pm »
Thanks for the info Dave! That is pretty much what I had for Randy also. Glad I was close anyway :)

Hey Randy...got another beer? I'm kinda dry over here...  :mrgreen:

Darren

randog

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2003, 10:02 pm »
Thanks for the response. Yea, ok, I won't lose sleep over it but since I'm quoting custom stands I thought I'd try and do it right.

Darren, no can hear, got beer in m'ear.  :lol:  I got 2 bits that sez you ain't old enough to remember what beer company tagged that phrase. Hint: your Corona girl has it all over this little dood tho they do share similar latitudes.

Randog

Darren Thomas

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2003, 10:06 pm »
Quote from: randog

Darren, no can hear, got beer in m'ear.  :lol:  I got 2 bits that sez you ain't old enough to remember what beer company tagged that phrase. Hint: your Corona girl has it all over this little dood tho they do share similar latitudes.

Randog

Hmmm... you may be right. I am familiar with that phrase but can't place the name of the beer. Remember the Rainier beer commercial where the motorcycle was going down a long and winding country road and the shifting was "Raaaaaiiii"... "neeeeeaaaarrrr"... "beeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr"? Rember that one? Might have been local but anyway that was filmed just down the road from me :) Ok, so it wasn't that interesting.

:roll:

Darren Thomas

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2003, 10:08 pm »
It wasn't Billy beer was it?

randog

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2003, 05:37 am »
Quote from: Darren
Remember the Rainier beer commercial where the motorcycle was going down a long and winding country road and the shifting was "Raaaaaiiii"... "neeeeeaaaarrrr"... "beeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr"?

Well I s'pose that's fitting since that sound befits the type of motorcycle that I put in the same corner as ol' Rainier beer!  :wink:  Then again, that would make me a purveyor of potato beer, wouldn't it?

c'mon, a primo guy like you giving up this easy?

It wasn't Billy beer was it?

heh! Good guess. They both suck.  :lol:

Darren Thomas

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2003, 02:45 pm »
I think my youth has betrayed me Randy...

I can't seem to come up with a single legit guess  :oops: I feel so, hmmm...what is the word I'm looking for... embarrased? Nope, that ain't it...thirsty? Well, yeah but that ain't it either. Oh yeah! YOUNG!  :mrgreen:

Ok, it's the only card I had left to play. Sure is taking a long time for you to get me that third beer.

randog

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2003, 05:50 pm »
OK, last hint... don't let it slap you upside the head.  :bomb:

[c'mon, a  :beer: PRIMO :beer:  guy like you giving up this easy?

Darren Thomas

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2003, 05:52 pm »
OK, last hint... don't let it slap you upside the head.  :bomb:

[c'mon, a  :beer: PRIMO :beer:  guy like you giving up this easy?

OK, I'm going out on a limb, does it have something to do with Primo? Never heard of it  :(

JohnR

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2003, 07:19 pm »
Hey, I don't know anything about Primo beer either, but check this out!

http://www.trayman.net/TrayDetail/scenery/Primo.htm

$2500 for a tin tray, now that's what I call a primo price ;) Check out the rest of his collection, it's pretty cool.

totti1965

• http://www.adorno.de
Re: Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2003, 09:27 pm »
hallo Randy,

please tell me, how tall / high is your room?
so I can try an answer...

I can suggest the stand high then, but you have to fit the high of your sit then....

perhaps my english is not good
i am from germany (Bonn)

yours,

thorsten

randog

Stand heights for 1801's
« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2003, 06:15 am »
Hi Thorsten,

My room is currently two adjoining rooms (a smaller rectangle joins a larger one) but I plan to push out the one wall to make it one big room approx 16' X 28' with the audio setup in the middle of the 16' wall. The ceilings are sloped and begin at 8' at the 16' wall and climb to approx 12' halfway along the 28' wall then back down to 8'. The listening position will be around halfway down the 28' wall (or 10-12' from the speakers).

Thanks for your insights,
Randy