Hey everyone. I'm getting to the final stages of finishing and wanted to post an update.
I started sanding my first coat with 150 paper. That was so, so slow going, that I bumped it up to 100. In hindsight, that would have been fine if I didn't do it on my final, 4th, coat. I did take lots and lots of time sanding with 150 afterwards especially on that last coat, but I still have swirl marks from sanding. I used a block and took my time, but didn't get through them all. Oh well.
I did fine using my garage, but as it cooled this fall in Minnesota, the cure time for the epoxy went from 6-8 hours to 4 days. Less that 70° or so and it really slowed. I wasn't in a hurry so that was fine.
I didn't notice I sanded through the epoxy in a couple spots, so painting didn't cover easily there. The areas felt very smooth, so I assumed the slight contrast in color was underneath. In the picture above, you can see the spot in the very front top left corner. The side spot was underneath. I used a primer inside, sanded the rough spots, then got to spraying. I used Rustoleum painters touch paint plus primer, Satin Espresso.
This is where I'm so glad I used epoxy. It covered so easily over the sanded epoxy. I sanded the final coat to 320. In this picture, the color looks like copper. Really is a dark brown.
After finish spraying, I used a flat paint to finish the inside cavities.
This final picture doesn't have a great look due to the flash. From back at the listening position, I love the look. The roundover looks great, the seams are all gone, and despite the few swirls from up close, I'm really liking the results.
Any comments and critiques, especially advice for the epoxy and paint, I'm going to be building stands for the wedgies in the future, so I will be working with it again. Thanks for looking. Happy Holidays everyone.