Looking for HT setup. Is VMPS too much? Be honest.

rolyasm

« on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:13 pm »
Hello all,
  I am looking to build a great HT, 90% movies, the rest music.  Have heard and read great things about VMPS, but I am not an audiophile and worry that I am spending more money than I need to.  So, what does everyone think.  Can I get as good, or almost as good sound for HT from a cheaper speaker setup, or will the VMPS be worth every penny?  Tell the truth.  Thanks all.
Roly

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:24 pm »
I had an all Linn front end (Linn 5140 r/l and 5120 center) and Mirage rears, with an SVS sub.  I went to an RM40 r/l and RM30C center with Linn 5140 rears.  I thought that the Linns were excellent HT speakers, but I also think the VMPS speakers best them by a long, long way in both HT and especially music. If you want to go "cheap," think 626Rs.  

So, I think you could do well with other speakers -- would that be good enough?  I was happy with my HT setup, but I thought it was lacking in detail for music.  That's why I upgraded.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:51 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
. If you want to go "cheap," think 626Rs.  

Better yet, go used 626R's  :wink:

gongos

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:16 pm »
Used 626r's for the front, and something cheaper for the rears since there's not a whole lot going on in the back anyway.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:55 pm »
Good points.  I like used -- other than my RM40s and RM30C, I've purchased everything I own used.  And, my Linn 5140s are overkill for the rears -- I've been thinking of replacing them with VMPS, but it can be cool sometimes to have 8 inch woofers for the rear sounds.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:57 pm »
Oops -- I misspoke.  I bought my SVS sub new.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2005, 10:07 pm »
Quote from: gongos
Used 626r's for the front, and something cheaper for the rears since there's not a whole lot going on in the back anyway.

Well, if it's truly 90% movies, then I guess I could live with that statement, although the multichannel purist (oxymoron, I know) in me says "five or seven identical speakers".  If it's any less than 90%, and you plan on any mch music (SACD, DVD-A, decent DTS stuff), then you ought to find at least five used 626r's.  If not, three will get you started nicely.

Ted_B

warnerwh

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2005, 02:29 am »
The clarity and coherence from the 626's needs to be heard to be appreciated btw.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2005, 06:42 am »
It's worth it even just for HT.  The texture, detail, space, impact, especially percussive effects, are a cut above everything I've heard.  You'll wonder if the phones & footsteps are real or VMPS.  Footsteps were so spooky watching a movie recently that I had to walk through the house & get personal protection (I was alone).  Once or twice effects made me look out the door to see if a car had crashed, I kid you not.  It can be a hassle till you get accostomed.  Even after years another viewer or myself will inquire if it's real or from the video.  

The frosting is that stereo music sources will blow you away played back in 5.1 on a VMPS/PLIIx system.  My 2c.

If you can afford them, you'll always be glad you spent the extra money.  Get 626R front L-R, LRC, Dipole Surround rears, & VMPS sub with Parts Express amp/eq/xo (Sunfire EQ sub if budget allows).

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2005, 09:34 pm »
I agree with Jimr wholeheartly. But as a dealer I would. My setup is the Rm-30's with Ribbon dipole surrounds and larger subwoofer and Jim is correct. PLllx is really something. You will not get a more realistic presentation from a speaker system. There is no "movie" speaker per se. If the speaker is efficient it will be good for music or movies. The speaker does not know what you are playing only you do. If you want to feel the explosions but still hear the dialouge then VMPS is for you. Other speakers have a muddy presentation to them , with the "tuneability" of the speakers, they can't be beat. You are buying into technology that is years ahead of the pack and continues to be ahead of the pack with upcoming models and technology. Just check the threads here and you will see what I mean.

My wife still tells me that when we watch movies that the "music" in the movies sounds the best she has ever heard. Concert films are wonderful also if you like the "you are there feel". I do!!!

If you watch "Master and Commander" you will look up at the seen that they are down below and pirates are running on the top deck. Crashes,glass breaking, rain etc I to have to leave my dedicated theater to check on what's going on upstairs and of course nothing is.

You can spend alot more money and get alot less.

Larry Kosova
AudioandImage.com

JDoyle

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2005, 12:21 am »
I agree with what everyone has said about VMPS.  I will be purchasing these soon (as soon as I can make up my mind about... of all things, the wood finish!). :roll:

However, you asked for the truth.  So, with all of the Pro's here, what's the Con?   It's the narrow sweet spot that the ribbons produce.  Great for you and your significant other... but if you have a room full of people over to watch a film, the people outside of the sweetspot will wonder what all the fuss is about.   :|

Something to consider if you love crowds.

JD

Campindog

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2005, 01:58 am »
I have a 5.1 VMPS system (but not the subs) and couldn't be happier. I don't notice the sweet spot when watching movies, but it's very noticable for two channel music.
One con though, is that the floorstanding models are very power hungry. The difference between reciever or seperates is not subtle. They will show the weakness of your electronics or recording. That said, they will still woop a$$ on anything I've heard in their price range even with a reciever.

Last week I was in a high end "salon" looking at projectors and they had some $5,000 B&W's playing music in a 2 channel system with Macintosh electronics. It was flat out embarrasing how much better my RM30's sounded with a old Yamaha reciever as a pre/pro and a B&K amp. You'd think there were blankets thrown over the B&W's.   :lol:

lkosova

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2005, 03:08 am »
Jdoyle,

I agree also. There is not a "sweet spot" factor per se with movies. But with VMPS you will actually be able to hear words that can't be heard with other speakers. The movies post productions do not want a sweet spot  and are mixed to be broader anyway. When people are over and are watching a movie all turn their heads when glass breaks to the left etc. etc.   Heh, I still sit in the center but that's me. When I sit to the end of the couch(damn kids :flak: ) I am still able to hear the clear diagloge very off center and the plane attacks and explosion are just grand where ever I sit.

Camp dog,

I agree with your assesments of the B&W compared to the Rm-30's. I would not speak to loud though, Brian might just consider raising the price.....

Larry

jimmyp58

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2005, 03:25 am »
One of the concerns I had about the sweet spot was it's narrowness.  Certainly with my FST in my RM40's, I have yet to hear anything that would suggest the sweet spot is narrow.  Much like Larry, even if I am off-center, I simply hear things I never heard before.

Jim

lkosova

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2005, 11:57 pm »
The sweet spot is narrower in the RM-40's the the RM-30's but mostly for music. You will have no problems with the VMPS line for Music or Movies.....

Larry

JDoyle

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2005, 02:51 am »
Larry,  I'm surprised (and even skeptical), that movies would be different from music.  If what you say is true, I'll be very happy, since I like to have a crowd in to watch a flick every now and then.   When I listened to the 30's, I only demo'd music.  With all of that beauty and realism in the sweetspot, it was gone as soon as I stood up or moved 6 feet left or right.

As I said, I will be getting these soon and hope that movies are somewhat different as you've stated.

Thanks for the good news!  :D

JD

lkosova

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2005, 03:39 am »
Yes Yes it will be different but less "critical "for movies vs music. 6 feet off center is alot also and will be noticeable.

Like I said, I still sit in the center when I can but I don't really lose anything "for movies" If I do.

For Music, I am in the center and sweet spot unless I have to move my wife away from it. Then....we share the sweet spot or with all marriages....I lose!!!

Larry

Hoots

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2005, 08:52 pm »
What would be a recommended multi-purpose 5 speaker system for around $6k for the 5 speakers to connect to a pre/pro + MC amp?

Instead of a pair of rm40's one would be looking at maybe a pair of rm30's, rm30c, and 626 for surround?

It seems folks would want to enjoy both 2-channel music and movies with a good dose of DTS concert videos and some HiRez MC music.

I can understand the great value of internet direct vs MSRP retail but have you compared VMPS to other manufacturer direct options?

cinema&sound

• http://www.cinema-and-sound.com
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2005, 09:06 pm »
I completely agree with Larry and the others.

Budget set up:

For 5.1 (as per Jim R.)
For 7.1:
Add 626R for the back surrounds. If space is a problem you can hang the dipole surrounds on the wall. (not SACD or DVD audio, use all dipole surrounds)

Multi-channel high rez music:
626R everywhere would be ideal, but many other considerations would mean:
LRC on top of RPTV or below (or behind) screen.

Budget is the key, because RM30s, RM40s, hey even 7 RMxs might be awesome.
-Scott

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2005, 10:48 pm »
Quote from: JDoyle
Larry,  I'm surprised (and even skeptical), that movies would be different from music.  If what you say is true, I'll be very happy, since I like to have a crowd in to watch a flick every now and then.   When I listened to the 30's, I only demo'd music.  With all of that beauty and realism in the sweetspot, it was gone as soon as I stood up or moved 6 feet left or right.

As I said, I will be getting these soon and hope that movies are somewhat different as you've stated.

Thanks for the good news!  :D

JD

I think the "confusion" regarding "sweet spot" is based on the difference between multi-channel HT and 2 channel audio.

The sweet spot in two channel audio is based on a delicate balance of sonic signals split over two channels.  If that balance is interupted or "imbalanced" then the image shifts to the speaker with the greater amplitude.

This can destroy "center image" and to a degree the whole soundstage.

HT on the other hand has a "center" channel and the other channels simply fill in the rest of the soundfield, as well as "steer" some sounds more to their areas.

There is no sweet seat problem with VMPS and HT.

Additionally, Soundtrack music and folley are not as subject to the delicate sonic cues we look for in well recorded two channel audio, so there is no loss of presence or detail, especially after digital processing.