Wisconsin here

Pstores

Wisconsin here
« on: 1 Jul 2018, 09:05 pm »
  So this is an interesting forum. Been reading for weeks. Now I have joined. And have Purchased a AVA Fet Valve CFR Preamp. Been to Frank's house a couple times bugging him. Will  most likely do that more. What is so interesting to me. I that this is one of the only Forums you don't hear much about the common names.  And most are very new to me. So it's actually open up a new world in Audio after being out of it for so long.  I take my purchases pretty seriously as I don't make a ton of money. I usually research products the demo the ones that sound like what I am looking for.  So now that I am looking to up grade my system. It's hard to look at names that are completely new and sort of unknown,  But it seems that a lot of people feel this gear revivals the big names. Especially for the dollar vs quality of sound. So this should be an interesting venture. Thanks to all that contribute here.
Paul

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Wisconsin here
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2018, 09:16 pm »
Welcome aboard Paul :thumb:

Pstores

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2018, 10:17 pm »
Thank you....... Spent the last two full days readin on here and other sights comparing info. What a contrast of information..... Lol

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2018, 11:03 pm »
Welcome aboard. Lot's of interesting gear discussed here.

johzel

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2018, 11:39 pm »
Welcome Paul.  Central Wisconsin here . . . there's a few of us Wisconsinites around here.  I also have visited "Franks" . . . . way back in the 70's when I was still in college.  Remember driving over to the Twin Cities and Frank ran his operation out of a basement in a house in those days . . . as I recall.

Pstores

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2018, 11:59 pm »
Yes as he still does...  And you are right about the interesting gear.  It's funny some may call this stuff Botique gear. While others hear call other gear Botique gear. The whole Botique gear statement gets all confusing. Lol...... I am finding out though there is a lot of nice stuff built here in the Twin Cities. It fun playing and experitemn ting with this stuff again.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2018, 12:13 am »
Welcome!

Pstores

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2018, 01:00 am »
Ty Phil

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2018, 01:05 am »
Welcome Paul. Madison resident here. :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2018, 01:52 am »
But it seems that a lot of people feel this gear revivals the big names. Especially for the dollar vs quality of sound. So this should be an interesting venture.

Welcome To AC, Paul. Yes, I would most certainly agree with the above. My amps in particular fall into that category. I’ve gone thru my share of tube amps over the years, SETs in particular. But that is once and for all forever behind me. In terms of musical purity, my Class D amps are so revealing they leave everything else in a cloud of filthy dust.  :green:

Pstores

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2018, 03:01 am »
Oh boy is that statement going start a discussion, lol....

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2018, 06:26 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Paul   :thumb:  Yep, Frank & Co build great gear and have stellar support.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2018, 11:56 am »
Welcome from a Michigan neighbor. 

AC does have a bent towards higher value gear which I very much appreciate.  As you might be able to tell it's my opinion that most audiophiles way over invest in gear for the given room (of course headphone users are excluded and in fact are probably the most practical of all). 

As I mellow (get older) my systems have gotten simpler, smaller, and cheaper.  My latest system consist of MacBook for Tidal/ALAC ripped CD's, $74 10ft Straightwire USB cable, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core ($800 DAC, preamp, bass DSP), $138/pair 10ft XLR cables from Best-Tronics, and Dynaudio BM5 MkIII ($850 at close out, active 2-way monitors) on cheap stands.  The 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room (Cardas Golden Cuboid) is insulated and includes six GIK 244 absorption panels (not really needed here but highly effective elsewhere).  Setup is near-field (again ala Cardas).  I also have a CSS XBR 10" sealed sub ($300 used).  The DSPeaker sits on a leftover piece of spiked shelving on the floor (like an amp stand) between the speakers (great for opening up the soundstage, keeping cables short, and making gear switchover easy).

The older variation of my system swaps the 10 ft XLR's and Dyn's out for $90 3ft Best-Tronic XLR's, tiny $730/pair class D Temple Audio 70 watt mono-blocks, old Nordost 'like' speaker cables (from a no longer available source) hard-wired to commissioned single driver floor-standing transmission line speakers paralleled with $20 Parts Express 'Late Ceiling Splash' (search AC) tweeters and protective cap.  The commissioned speakers (rated 27-20,000 Hz, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms) cost $2100 15 years ago, drivers/builder no longer available but were compared to $6000 speakers. 

So value can be found at various price points.  One of my favorite cheap systems includes Emotiva DC-1 ($500 DAC, preamp, headphone amp) connecting with $15/pair BlueJean XLR cables to JBL LSR305 ($200/pair street price 2-way active speakers).  A friend uses nothing but Tidal controlled via his phone to a $500 BlueSound Node 2 to amp/speakers.  Lots of ways to skin the cat if you investigate.

Pstores

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:03 am »
Thanks everyone.... Ues JLM I have read many of your posts over the last few months. Usually
informative and interesting. I think you saw were I was going with my comments. I have read some Agon posts that indirectly comment on manufacturers and people from this site. In the end being critical of AC. It does make people wonder if the equipment is quality per value. And that’s one thing I learn years ago. More money doesn’t always mean better. And larger more well known companies don’t always make better products. The Audio World is a prime example. Being a person who always wants to not waste time and money I am skeptical both ways. People told me that Musical Concepts was a waste of money. But I did it. And did A/B blind testing with my amps. Is was never a question mine always with everyone came out on top against the same 565’s stock. Agon people have said the 565’s lack low end. Not that’s funny. Especially since I have never ever heard an amp that comes remotely close in the same power range. I am heading down off  the beaten path of less well known gear. I think it’s the right decision. Time will tell. I like the AVA stuff. But haven’t heard it in my actual system. I think my overalll goal is the AVA Preamp, Dac then the amp will be the last factor as far as electronics. Whether that will be Rogue, AVA or Quicksilver I am not sure. Would like to demo all three together. My finally piece will be speakers. Probably a better pair of Vandersteen’s. Although overall. It would be fun if I could build a all Minnesota system. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. It was greatly appreciated.

Pstores

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:06 am »
One last thing.... People on this forum seem more down to earth people.... kudos to all for that.

jparkhur

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:10 am »
Can’t go wrong here. La Crosse in and around

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:44 am »
The smartest thing you can do is try before you buy; that is try the potential new piece of gear in your home. Short of that everything else is a risky half assed crap shot.

Pstores

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2018, 02:10 am »
Absolutely learned that on the 1990’s.... That how I ended up with the Adcom 565 amps and preamp. Back then they actually were hard to beat. And trust me I had a ton of equipment in my house. A friend was an Audio King Manager. Did a lot of A/B testing. Actually going to A/B test the AVA preamp when I get it this week against and Arma-Sphere Uv and couple others. So should be a fun week.

Pstores

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2018, 02:12 am »
Thanks for the reply. Many people don’t understand that a simple change in listening environment can be huge. So best to A/B with you stuff in your area.