HT / Audio systems with new Sony 55xs955 HD TV

vapro10s

« on: 9 Jan 2005, 10:18 pm »
I have bought a Sony kdf55xs-955 TV and wish to build new systems around this awesome TV. I have an additional budget of $5,000 and am thinking of adding new:

Salk Sound HT-3 Veracity Mains (L/R) ($4000), Bolder HT Moddified XR-45 ($1000), & Denon 2910 Universal Player ($600)

My room may change (moving?) and system will be used for HT 40%/audio 60%. HT is to be dishnetwork or VOOM with dvr & DVD. Audio is mostly CD with a little SACD and tuner.

I have LOTS of audio and HT equipment that I can add to these main system pieces. I am thinking of selling and perhaps keeping some of the following:

Stan Warren modded SACD 1000 (if it ever comes back from Stan it has been two years now?), Nohr 4.0 blue Ceramic speakers, Nelgan Mars si Speakers, Outlaw 1050 AV Receiver, HSU-vtf2 sub, Pioneer DV-333 Stan Warren modded machine, nohr modded Le Amps by Wayne of Bolder Cable, msb link 3 w/upsampling chip, ortho spectrum 3000, and various cables (A.Plus, stealth, zu, monster etc.)

What do you think of the system pieces above and possible keeps below?

Thanks for your opinions. Any opinion of Dish or Voom? I have heard the salks but am curious about the Hyperion, Gallo R 3, 3.6 Maggies, or Vandersteen 2ce sign. (I have 1b's in the bedroom system).

I am growing tired of overthinking this stuff and need to just set-up and enjoy. My thanks for your thoughtful and appreciated advice.

vapro10s
Harrisonburg, VA

Marbles

Re: HT / Audio systems with new Sony 55xs955 HD TV
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2005, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: vapro10s
I and am thinking of adding new:

Salk Sound HT-3 Veracity Mains (L/R) ($4000), Bolder HT Moddified XR-45 ($1000), & Denon 2910 Universal Player ($600)

I have heard nothing but good things about those components, especially the speakers (museum grade finish!!!) and the Bolder modded rec.

Kenobi

Sony kdf55xs-955
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 05:44 pm »
Hi Vapro10s,

I am thinking about that TV as a possible acquisition.  Please elaborate a little about this set's attributes if you're inclined to share.  Has color and contrast improved over previous Sony LCD models or that of other manufacturer's?  I am also thinking about the Panasonic DLP projection as well.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

Bests regards,
 :violin:

F-100

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2005, 06:26 pm »
Check out the Rocket speakers line and the new Emotiva Pre-Amp/Processor/Amp at AV123.com.  You will be amazed how good they sound. The craftmanship on their cabinets is top notch and the price is right too.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2005, 06:36 pm »
Voom's assets were just sold to Echostar VOOM SOLD

If you have acess to Cable, HD isn't too bad that way. I personally didn't want the hassle of dealing with an OTA antenna for local channels AND a dish.

I have never heard the Salks but have read great things about their workmanship.  For HT, I am a bit biased towards VMPS  :lol: . If you are just looking for plug and play, the VMPS are not for you. If you are willing to spend some time tweaking, the results can be worthwhile.

Other speakers to consider are the Odyssey Lorelei or the products from Rick Craig at Selah. Good luck with your new system.

vapro10s

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2005, 09:36 pm »
Kenobi,

I do love this TV. I think the Sony Gen 4's are well tested and have improved very much version over version. I am curious about the XBR sets coming out this August. However, they have only announced a 70" and at $10K is way over my budget.

Projectors are attractive also if you have a dark room (tough for me). Look at avsforum.com for more info on these Sony's.

Good luck!

JMR