Tempest transformer noise

pfradale

« on: 7 Jan 2005, 09:01 am »
In Hawaii you never want to brag or else you invite bachi or bad karma.  Well, yesterday I posted my hello saying how great the system sounded, and today I have hum/buzz from the Tempest.  It's not RF, I believe, since I listened with the entire system off, save the Tempest.  The sound is coming from the unit itself.  I did a search on this site and found one other person with this noise.  In his case it was the transformer. I've had the unit for about six months, and it did not make this noise before.

Here's the question:  It does not appear to have changed the sound of the music, and I cannot hear it from my listening seat.  Does the hum portend failure of the Tempest, or can I leave it alone?  Now that I am in Japan, I do not want to ship the unit overseas unless I must--it'd be forever and cost a mint.

Ideas?

djbnh

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2005, 11:23 am »
My recommendation would be to talk w/Klaus, if you can. Sounds like a transformer issue to me. See pm.

pfradale

Update
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2005, 02:01 am »
Spoke with Klaus last night, kudos to him for trying for three days to call me in Japan!

Anyway, he feels that the most likely culprit is low voltage, causing the transformer to complain.  Given some other things I've noticed in the house it seems entirely plausible.  I'm going to check the voltage this evening and see how far below 100V it is.  Should the transformer actually be at fault Klaus offered an arrangement that is more than fair, and best of all, there are no worries in running the system while I sort it out, so the music does not stop.

After I got off the phone with him, my wife remarked how rare it is to find customer service at Klaus' level these days, and I have to agree.  Great to find someone offering an outstanding product and the willingness to stand behind it.