VPI to quit making HW-19 series?

WEEZ

« on: 7 Jan 2005, 01:16 am »
Saw this over on AA- if true, it's a sad day in analog land. I guess the Scout series is more popular due to stand-alone motor being standard.

Maybe it's just my old age, but I really like turntables wrapped in wood. And my comparison of a HW-19 with a Scout was disapointing- the 19 sounded much bigger with a more full presentation. (I am told, however, that the Scoutmaster is on a par with th 19, but have not listened to the Scoutmaster).

The 19 series was a stone cold bargain, IMHO, and with many, many upgrade options. My 19 is getting old, and I was thinking of upgrading from MK111 status to MK1V, along with some other repairs, but now I'm not sure what I'll do when the time comes. Need to hear a Scoutmaster.

I am maybe going to look at SOTA. Those things are big, heavy, and drop dead gorgeous (again, IMHO).

Anyone ever compare a Sapphire with a MK 1V? or a Scoutmaster? I'd be very interested in anyone's comments...

WEEZ

mcrespo71

Re: VPI to quit making HW-19 series?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2005, 01:28 am »
Quote from: WEEZ
And my comparison of a HW-19 with a Scout was disapointing- the 19 sounded much bigger with a more full presentation. (I am told, however, that the Scoutmaster is on a par with th 19, but have not listened to the Scoutmaster).

The 19 series was a stone cold bargain, IMHO, and with many,  ...

I think HW is trying to move away to super rich, big sound of old.  The Scout is my favorite VPI tt probably because it moves away from that sound and I guess I'm not in the minority on that.  I'm still surprised, though.

creativepart

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2005, 06:25 am »
You probably read it on AA when I posted it. See, I bought a HW 19 MK III on A'gon and it arrived with a broken dustcover. When the seller emailed VPI to order me a new one, Sheila, Harry's wife, emailed him that the 19 series was discontinued on Jan 1.

She didn't say that parts wouldn't be available, but dustcovers were "out of stock."

I too want a turntable that has wood around it. I'm super happy with my MK III with a modded Rega RB300 (Expressimo weight and Exrpressimo 2xtreme cardas rewire). It has a wonderful sound to it. I bought it pretty cheap too. For some reason, there were a couple of these at once on A'gon and the prices kept dropping. Now there are three Jrs with Audioquest PT 6 tonearms for more than I paid for the Mk III and Rega.

The look of the Scout puts me off. I suppose that I'll get over it. But not for a while. I may upgrade the VPI as long as they still sell upgrades. But I'm not hearing any need for an upgrade at this time.

Paul Green

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2005, 01:35 pm »
Yup, that's where I read it.

Congrat's on your MK111. When I upgraded my JR to MK111- it was a major improvement. However, after a while, I removed the springs and put the sorbothane pucks back in and it did better for me that way.

I agree with you on the looks of the Scout- not my cup of tea. As much as I like VPI 'tables (best analog I've ever heard in my system) the Scout doesn't have that magic that the 19's have.

Have you ever heard a SOTA?

WEEZ

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2005, 05:28 pm »
Yup, that's where I read it.

Congrat's on your MK111. When I upgraded my JR to MK111- it was a major improvement. However, after a while, I removed the springs and put the sorbothane pucks back in and it did better for me that way.

I agree with you on the looks of the Scout- not my cup of tea. As much as I like VPI 'tables (best analog I've ever heard in my system) the Scout doesn't have that magic that the 19's have.

Have you ever heard a SOTA?

WEEZ

I had a Sota Sapphire before purchasing a HW19, mk IV and I have not missed the Sota at all.  Since then I have upgraded the tonearm to the JMW 10.5 and added the Teres Signature I external motor.  This table has captured my ear and does not let it go.  I love it.  If you can pickup a use HW19 at any level, go for it.

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2005, 11:17 pm »
BWentler-

(agree- VPI's are great 'tables)

tell me more about your old SOTA- likes/dislikes,etc..

appreciate it-

WEEZ

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
SOTA
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2005, 02:22 am »
BWentler-

(agree- VPI's are great 'tables)

tell me more about your old SOTA- likes/dislikes,etc..

appreciate it-

WEEZ

The Sota series had problems aging issues such as the springs that held the platter/motor supended above the base are mounted up-side down.  This causes the springs to streach out and need to be replaced.  The design is also not very upgradable.  As it did with mine, I purchased the Teres Audio external motor to drive the platter.  I'm also looking at replacing the base and building a solid base that is filled with lead shot.  Also the VPI arm board is higher in regards to the platter., so you do not need to lift the tonearm so high.  With the SOTA, the armboard is lower then the bottom of the platter so you will need to raise the tonearm up away from the base just to reach the hitgh it needs.

The Sota table that I had was about equal to the HW19 Jr in sound quality.  As the dealer stated to me, my HW 19 mk VI with the super tonearm board and the JMW tonearm is surpasses to the Scout series and with the external motor, it is equal to the low end of the TNT series.

If you can get a new or used HW19 mk VI, get it.  It could be your last turntable you will ever want.  The upgrade that I have done are just tweaks and just having some fun with the design of the table.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2006, 04:01 am »
Guys, I just bought a Scout with the JMW 9 arm to replace my 12-year old HW-19 Mk. 3 / Hot Rod Rega.  I've been f@#$ing with this thing for three days now, and I just can't get any decent bass out of the Scout !!  (I do like the arm though - definitely better detail, mids and highs with my Clearaudio Aurum Beta S.)  IMHO, the damn thing has no better bass than a Rega Planar 3.  

One funny thing happened last nite - I used Cordesman's technique of setting the thing on top of a 1" thick piece of oak which was set on a piece of bubble wrap - it did improve but did not fix the bass.  I've heard a lot of people mounting these things on 50-100 Lb. marble slabs either mounted to a sturdy stand, OR set on bubble wrap.  Any good ideas, besides moving the JMW-9 to the HW-19 and pitching the Scout plinth ?   Anybody interested in a slightly used Scout ??

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2006, 11:02 pm »
:(

..yup, it's hard for me to believe that VPI's entry level 'table would be a step backward from the 19 series. (that's subjective, of course..but remains my opinion).

I would likely buy a Rega P5 before the Scout..but I'm saving for a SOTA.
(see BWentler's comments above..)

In the SOTA line, it's the Jewel that grabs my attention. It's basically a Sapphire with elastic (sorbothane) instead of springs. Still has the heavy sub-platter/platter assembly; available in a variety of woods; has an upgradeable armboard available; and weighs over 40lbs.  :o

Hope you still have your MkIII.. I'd keep it 'till it quits, if I were you.

best,

WEEZ

Sarchi

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2006, 02:30 am »
Try to appreciate what Harry's up against, this is 2006 and his company has survived twenty years past the "end of vinyl", as a business dealing entirely in analog source equipment + cleaners. That's astounding and speaks volumes about the quality of his designs, production and customer service. IOW, I think HW knows what he's doing. ;)

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2006, 05:01 am »
WEEZ,  I did one better, I found a Mk. 4 in mint condition with a JMW 10.5 and a SAMA in black.  Very cool.  As a result I have both my Mk. 3 / Rega and my newly acquired Scout / JMW 9 for sale.  I'll throw in a couple yards of bubble wrap for free !!  Asking $ 800 for the HW-19. (a bargain). and $ 1200 for the Scout.  Both MINT.  Anyone interested just e-mail me at dcbingaman@earthlink.net

Brad

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2006, 04:29 pm »
I saw that ad for the Mk 4.  That was a great price with that arm included.

Have you gotten it yet?
What are the details on your Mk III?

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2006, 08:38 pm »
It is about twelve years old, has an oak base and is still in mint shape.  i have the original box and all the packing materials.  it comes with a Rega 250 tonearm which i have modified to improve its sound.  Mod.s include a complete re-wire with Cardas 33 ga. wire, new Cardas leadout cable with Cabare F-10 RCA's, Expressimo VTA sleeve, Expressimo stainless steel arm stub and Expressimo heavyweight counterweight.  This is a great arm - probably better than anything you can buy south of a JMW 9 or 10.5.  Photos available via email reply (dcbingaman@earthlink.net)