Driving Omegas with a headphone amp?

ephemere

« on: 5 Jan 2005, 10:55 pm »
Has anyone tried driving their Omegas with a robust headphone amp such as the Grace Model 901?  The Grace advertises the ability to drive 8 ohm loads and specifies a maximum output of +23 dBu (15 W into 8 ohms).

I've sent Grace email asking about this, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it.  I would think it would be a great sounding and very flexible DAC/preamp/amp in a box.  The new m902 would be even better with USB inputs for direct connection to a computer, improved DAC, and additional flexibility.

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2005, 03:33 pm »
Do you have a link to more info for the Grace?
Sounds like a good possibility - especially with the USB input....

Talk about convenience/convergence

ephemere

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2005, 04:18 pm »
Here's the new m902 (replacement for 901):

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/902/m902.htm

I heard back from one of the engineers at Grace, who told me that it will indeed drive 8-ohm loads, and that he is using one on his desk in just that configuration, even though it's designed as a headphone amp.  We were discussing the 901, but I believe the m902 has the same amplifier circuit, so the answer should be the same.

It does sound promising.  I'll be auditioning Omega speakers for the first time this weekend, and I wish I had one of these Grace boxes on hand to try out.

These are designed for the pro market, and the 901 is widely considered one of the best headphone amps available.