Lastest developments on my turntable project

Mike D

« on: 29 Dec 2004, 11:30 pm »
Today I ordered a ProJect 9c tonearm with no internal wiring.  This will make it difficult to get the Cardas tonearm wire into the new arm.  But the arm was only $135!  I am currently waiting on a call back from Kevin at Sumiko.  I can get the new sandwich platter for $65 and a new sub platter/spindle for $20.  That is the same cost as one Sorbothane mat.  

Today I purchased several washers, rubber washers, and three 1.25 inch screws.  Last night I took the suspension springs out of my table and replaced them with Black Diamond Racing cones.  Now I have the table that used to be suspended with springs set with the following items from bottom to top: the BDR cones, a rubber washer, the chasis of the table, another rubber washer, 7 small washers, a bolt going through to the BDR cone screwed down super tight.  The result is much tighter bass, deeper imaging, and slightly more forward treble.  The springs really mellowed out the sound even when they were as tight as I could get without bottoming out.  

I am now talking to Kevin now.

Mike D

« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2004, 11:57 pm »
AND...

After talking to Kevin.  I have a new sub platter, a new platter, and a new bearing that holds the sub platter in place.   :bounce:

The wear on my spindle was most likely caused by me wearing through the teflon coating inside the bearing.  How 'bout that!  

The noise on my motor, which I replaced, could have been caused by resistance from wearing through the teflon in the bearing.  It could also be caused by a power supply problem.  The motor is supposed to be silent.  Can I bring my suped up turntable over to Gavin, Sturgis, Scott, or anyone who thinks they may be able to trouble shoot my power supply?  Kevin Wolf at Sumiko said this may have been caused by the cap going bad in the power supply, bad wiring, etc.  This trouble shooting is above my head.

Thanks fellas!  Just think, I almost bought a BIX with a Moerch tonearm!!!  That would have cost me a few dollars more than the $300 I have spent.  PLUS I get the pride of doing this myself and the excitement of hearing each improvement one step at a time.  
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2004, 12:13 am »
What's a turntable used for?   :lol:

p