Pictures of my finally completed AKSA 100W

Possum

« on: 8 Mar 2003, 04:45 am »
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gcpeng/lst?&.dir=/AKSA+100W+(custom+Par-Metal+chassis)&.src=ph&.view=t

After starting on my AKSA 100W at the beginning of January, I have finally completed the amp.  The kit itself was pretty much done in two slow weeks after having to troubleshoot a few problems with generous help from Hugh.  I created the panel/chassis designs for the amp based on the 20-series Par-Metal chassis meant for "Table Top / Amplifier Cases" (not on their website, but they have a PDF available by e-mail in the same format as PDFs for the other series).

The chassis ended up taking about a month after sending in the design drawings and descriptions before receiving the finished product.  Almost all holes, cutouts, and dimensions were as I specified, except for 2 hole dimensions for the RCA jacks and half of the holes on the bottom being 0.25" too far from a central axis.  I e-mailed and called in to change the RCA hole sizes a few days after sending in the order, but I guess the change wasn't implemented - I had to file the holes to a larger size to fit my RCA jacks.  The 0.25" offset of the holes from my specifications didn't cause any problems, but any more of an offset and the heatsink for that channel wouldn't fit in the chassis.

While waiting for the chassis, I got bored and changed a few parts:

1) I originally bought Wima metallized polypropylene for the charge suckout caps (I needed replacements for these since I accidentally destroyed one of the SCR's Hugh provided with my soldering iron).  But after Hugh recommended against these, I put these on the power supply board as bypass caps, and bout Auricaps for the charge suckouts.

2) I replaced the 100uF decoupling capacitors on the +/- of each channel with 200uF Panasonic FC's I had lying around.

3) C4 was changed to a 100uF Panasonic FC I had lying around.

4) C2 and C7 changed to 10uF Elna Cerafines I had lying around (I have a lot of parts lying around  :P ).

5) D1 changed to a schottky.

6) C3 changed to a 100uF Black Gate Standard (FK's are quite expensive  :( ).

7) Power supply diodes were changed with some heafty 30A Stealth series diodes from Fairchild Semiconductor.

Anyway, so a month later, the chassis arrives.  It's not perfect, but I'm quite satisfied.  The whole chassis is clear anodized.

Top:  Has vent slots right above the heatsink fins.

Bottom:  Has vent slots right below the heatsink fins.  The heatsinks mount to the bottom of the chassis with 3 screws (I have provisions for 5, but 3 felt sturdy enough).  Vibrapod model 4's are used as the feet.

Rear: Vampire binding posts.  Vampire RCA jacks with external nuts.  Fuse holder (has a 8A slow blow right now).  DTDP switch rated for 10A, but with the two poles wired in parallel.  Filtered IEC jack.

Front: Rackmount-type handles.  2 3mm holes for T-100 size LEDs, water blue ones, partly diffuse (looked better than clear in this setup).  Bulgin vandal switch, momentary pushbutton.

Inside power switch:  The DPDT switch in back is the main switch that cuts off power to the relay.  The relay is a Tyco/Potter & Brumfield 1 HP bistable power relay.  Pushing the vandal switch briefly sends a short burst of AC to the relay's solenoid, which mechanically moves a lever that simultaneously changes the position of 2 other microswitches.  These allow or cut off AC to the transformers.

Transformers:  300VA 35-0-35 ILP (Plitron's former company).

Wiring: I tried to make it as neat as possible by being direct with the wiring, but that produced what you see in the pictures.  The star ground point does indeed end up looking like a star (all the white wires leading to the power supply PCB).

How does the amp sound?  Since I haven't had any experience with other high-end amplifiers, this is of course the best amp I've ever heard.  I really enjoy the sound, even though I don't have high-end speakers or even a good source.  My Infinity RS-3 bookshelves are being replaced by Axiom M22Ti SE bookshelves which I just paid for today and should receive next week.  The source will have to wait until after I get a job  :P .

Cost to build this?
AKSA 100W kit pricing is on the AKSA website.
Chassis with drilling/cutouts and clear anodize was $135 + $40 (for the optional, extra thick front panel) + $10 shipping = $185.
Transformers were $70 for both through a deal through the Trading Post of diyaudio.com, where I purchased 4 for $140 shipped.
Bulgin vandal switch ~$14.
Tyco/Potter & Brumfield bistable relay ~$35.
Vampire binding posts ~$11.
Vampire RCA jacks ~$14.
Vibrapods ~$30 for 4 after shipping.
Misc parts like LEDs, DPDT switch, fuse holder, fuses, IEC jack, wire, gold-plated spade connectors, screws ~15-20.
"Upgrades" and mods probably totalled ~$60-70 after all the separate shipping costs - as Hugh pointed out before, that is quite close to the Nirvana upgrade kit.

A big thanks to Hugh, of course, for the AKSA design and technical support and to other AKSA builders and builders on diyaudio.com for building ideas and inspiration, not to mention the rave reviews that gave me the peace of mind I needed to buy the AKSA.

(Sorry about the pictures, they're from a Canon S200 in a low-light situation where flash would make the picture worse.)

econ

« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2003, 07:42 am »
1) I originally bought Wima metallized polypropylene for the charge suckout caps (I needed replacements for these since I accidentally destroyed one of the SCR's Hugh provided with my soldering iron). But after Hugh recommended against these, I put these on the power supply board as bypass caps, and bout Auricaps for the charge suckouts.

2) I replaced the 100uF decoupling capacitors on the +/- of each channel with 200uF Panasonic FC's I had lying around

What is/are the suckout caps ?

What are the bypass caps ?

What are the decoupling caps ?

As you can tell , my knowledge of the jargon is next to nothing.

What made you change them and did the changes make a difference compared to the sound of the original ?

Beautiful, beautiful looking amp. Those blue leds are just the business.
Fantastic.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2003, 07:44 am »
Greg,

Beautiful job - very neat, masterfully done.  Congratulations!

Now, do yourself a favor and visit the so-called high end salons.  You'll be able to compare, but take your favorite CD along.......

Cheers,

Hugh

PJ

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2003, 09:40 am »
Looks good!

I just need to get help to drill my AKSA case (Hugh's design), and hopefully then I'll be able to take some photos.

I have have mine up and running for about 2 weeks now. One of my output transistors heats up more than the others, although all are firmly clamped to the heatsink.

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2003, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: PJ
Looks good!

I just need to get help to drill my AKSA case (Hugh's design), and hopefully then I'll be able to take some photos...

Just a suggestion that has worked extremely well for me... and if you already have a Dremel tool... Home Depot sells a Dremel Drill Press Stand for $40.  If you have the little Dremel drill bits, it's all you need to make nice small holes.... plus you can neaten it up with the other myriad of attachments.

Good luck,
Carl

PS, Greg... AWESOME job!  that is a VERY good looking amp.  It definitely looks professional.  I wish I had your electronics knowledge as well.  Looking forward to your review of the sound attributes..... :)

Rocket

aksa chassis
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2003, 04:47 pm »
hello,

i was just wondering if someone with good computer skills can design a chassis for the rest of us.

i had some panels made by a laser cutter but it would have been really easy if a design with measurements had been complete.

regards

rod

ps it makes sense to me but i've been out tonight and drunk copious amounts of beer.

Possum

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2003, 05:29 pm »
What is/are the suckout caps ?

These are C8 and C9 in the schematic.

What are the bypass caps ?

These aren't part of the original power supply, but they're just the extra Wima capacitors paralleled with the 4,700uF power supply capacitor banks (1 Wima bypassing + to ground and 1 for - to ground for each channel).

What are the decoupling caps ?

These are C11 and C13 in the schematic.

What made you change them and did the changes make a difference compared to the sound of the original ?

I changed these because I've read about others "upgrading" these capacitors, and I grew extremely restless waiting for my chassis to be made.  In some threads you'll see people mentioning upgrading the C8/C9 charge suckout capacitors, which are originally ceramic disc type.  In other threads, people mention upgrading the diode and electrolytic capacitors on the amplifier board.

Compared to the original sound... I didn't spend enough time with the original to get a good sense of the sound.  Also, the speakers were placed in a non-ideal spot near my makeshift work area just so I could test the amp out.  I took the word of others when deciding to go with some of these modifications.

Possum

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2003, 05:35 pm »
i was just wondering if someone with good computer skills can design a chassis for the rest of us.

That could be a good idea if a standard parts list and construction method were defined for the assembly of the amp into a chassis.  I made rough drawings using Front Panel Designer (from www.frontpanelexpress.com) of each of the surfaces of my chassis, took a screenshot of these drawings, saved them as PDF files, and described the position and dimensions in a separate text file when ordering from Par-Metal.  John at Par-Metal said this was sufficient, but it would be even easier for them if they had CAD diagrams with the dimensioning directly on the drawings.  So, the next time I order from them (probably for my preamp chassis), I will probably find a cheap/free CAD program to submit the chassis design, converted to PDF files.

jcoat007

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2003, 07:55 pm »
All I can say is WOW!!!

and

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Very Nice!

U4EA

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2003, 04:47 am »
Nice job.