nOrh speaker owners, try this tweak

KKM

« on: 29 Dec 2004, 05:14 pm »
First of all, I don't understand why the speakers are not lined with anything. While the enclosure is inert and shouldn't have any standing waves, there's still going to be some interaction inside due to the small rear port hole, there's no way around it. Secondly, the crossover is directly behind the woofer, inches away, 'nuff said. How about mounting it on top behind the tweeter? Anyway this is what I did:

I lined the inside of the 6.9SM with lambswool and cover the crossover with the lambswool. I just can't believe the improvement that it has made to the sound. I thought that it might diminish the bass output, it hasn't. The bass is now tighten and very define and coherent. The sound is more distinct and focus. I could go on and on using all the audiophile adjectives, bottom line is try it yourself. It is very cheap and easy to do.

The next weakness that needs to be address is the baffle is not as inert as it could be. Touch the area between the tweeter and the woofer while playing some loud music and you'll know what I mean. Would gluing more wood behind the baffle take care of that? Don't know, we'll see when I have time.

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2004, 02:07 pm »
How is the baffle held in?  I probably could make a piece out of aluminum or brace the present one.
Have you done anyting to the xover?

KKM

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2004, 06:32 pm »
The baffle appears to be glued on to the enclosure, I have not done anything to the Xover, except cover it with lamb's wool. I am tempted to tear it from the bottom and install it upside down behind the tweeter, but it is presently tightly attached with a messy foam. Have you tried the lamb's wool? If not, It really is worth the effort.

oris98

Dennis Murphy's XO
« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2004, 08:42 pm »
I've built a pair of XO based on Dennis's design and mounted it externally on the speaker stand.  Mid range is fuller and better brend in with the high and low freq.  Base is much tigher.  Overall improvement is worth more than the cost of the xo for sure.  I even made the xo with separated high and low binding posts (2 pair of binding posts per speaker)  This allow me to go biwire it for further enhancement.  Biamping is my next step ...  Give it a try.