Anybody here using ProntoEdit for their Pronto remote?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I just acquired a TSU6000 and I need to program it.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2004, 11:09 pm »
George,
Yes, I'm pretty adept at ProntoEdit.  Call me tmrw or pm me and I'll get you started.  I have a TSU6000 as well.  Let me know what equipment you'll need to control and we can get most of the codes to build ccfs from remotecentral.com
Ted_B

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2004, 11:35 pm »
I use it too, for a TSU3000, once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy to work with.  I'm available if you've got any questions too!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2004, 12:29 am »
Thanks guys.

I just downloaded the ProntoEdit software and the 85 page user guide.

I also just received my Kodak serial cable in order to connect the Pronto to the pc.

When I contacted Philips, they didn't have the cable.  The rep was cool and told me that the Kodak cable would work and could be ordered directly from Kodak.

George

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2004, 12:43 am »
George,

Pay NO attention to the manual.  Your best bet is to head over to www.remotecentral.com and start reading.  Download a couple example files and take a look how they are built.  I personally use Tonk's file.  There is a LOT in there that I don't need (i.e. lighting control, etc.) but you can just delete what you don't need.  The thing I like about it is that it's activity based (ex. Watch a DVD) and also it's set up so that all the codes for a certain piece of equipment are on a page of their own.  If you change equipment all you have to do is change the name of the section and re-learn the buttons on the new remote to the same spots as the old one and you don't have to go edit all your macros or anything.

Good luck!

Brian.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2004, 01:18 am »
I just sent you a bunch of ccf's for your equipment.  As I said earlier, and seconded by byteme, remotecentral.com is invaluable.  I'll send you Dan Tonks gallery...it's a must-use.  He went to ridiculous lengths to paint bitmapped images that are great for just about every category of equipment, and buttons and panels that are easy to cut-n-paste.  Don't fret the learning curve, it's quite a revelation once you "get it".  The manual stinks; it takes itself wayyy too seriously.  And the pieces of the solution (frames, panels, buttons, macrs, etc) are poorly named.  

I'll put a small tutorial/tips doc together and send out, if I can rememeber where I stuffed certain things.   Here's a James Joycian ramble:
* download ccf's with your equip (I sent)
*  when beginning to build the workflow and look-n-feel, make sure the buttons at least have some sort of action in them (a .1 sec delay, for instance, is all that's needed early on) so you can see them in the emulator (they need to do something or they don't show up, even if you created them).  You'll give the buttons true actions later (like telling a button to call up a macro or go to a device's play button).  
*As per byteme, download Daniel Tonks's ccf and look through it to see how he calls up things.  It's very intuative once you get past the Philips naming convention bs.
* The faq from remoptcentral (pronto forum) is a good start
*Call me tmrw and we can walk through issues.  I'll pm you with my number if you don't have it from earlier.
Ted_B

JuanR

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2004, 01:33 pm »
I have the TSU 7000, and like it a lot , be sure to get the latest software from philips website, the have a new one for December.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2004, 03:48 pm »
There is no new update for the TSU6000.  George has the latest (version 4.05 software, 1.4 firmware).  These are builds from late 2002.  The TSU 7000 is a different animal and uses ProntoProEdit NG.

Ted_B

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2004, 06:11 pm »
Is the TSU6000 the color version of the TSU2000?  I have the TSU2000 and it never really worked properly until I performed surgery on it and soldered in the batteries.  Now, it never needs recharging, whereas I had to have it on the recharger all the time previously.  The remote takes a while to program, but once programmed, it's awesome.  I just hit "watch TV" (or whatever), and it does everything for me.  After working without it for a few months (my HD went down with my program on it -- I had a version on the Pronto, but it had been modified to use my friend's gear) and dealing with 8 remotes, it's so much easier!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2004, 07:17 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Is the TSU6000 the color version of the TSU2000?  I have the TSU2000 and it never really worked properly until I performed surgery on it and soldered in the batteries.  Now, it never needs recharging, whereas I had to have it on the recharger all the time previously.  The remote takes a while to program, but once programmed, it's awesome.  I just hit "watch TV" (or whatever), and it does everything for me.  After working without it for a few months (my HD went down with my program on it -- I had a version o ...

Although the TSU6000 is indeed color, and uses the same editing software as the TSU2000, Philips calls it the ProntoPro for a reason.  It has significantly more memory, etc.  Although they improved the dock and battery for the TSU6000, as well, it still needs recharging more than I'd like.   But my macros and workflow are memory hogs, and I use the pronto almost 100% of the time for all music room functions, be it 2 channel or home theater.  

Ted_B

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2004, 10:01 pm »
I think they also improved the dock/battery pack for the new Pronto.  I was about to give up on mine (it was constantly rebooting) until I performed the surgery.  Now, it lasts a long, long time without a charge.