CSS Full Range DIY initial report

mcgsxr

« Reply #20 on: 1 Jan 2005, 03:52 pm »
Thanks for the 2 way info - I forgot if it was the HiVi tweeter, or a Swan tweeter that was proposed for those - I fall into the camp that the 95% that the WR125 does on its own is good enough for.

As for pic quality - well, I burst out laughing, considering what I posted here...

Nice looking little units, and for the dough, a no brainer.

Have a great one!

J North

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2005, 08:49 pm »
Kevin,

Very exciting!

I like the crossover of the 125 at 8.5Khz. Should sound very very coherent for vocals and the such.

I wish something similar were possible with the Extremis, but the dip at 3Khz probably makes that more difficult.

How about a 3-way?
Extremis to 300Hz or so, 125 to 8Khz, Tweater on top?

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2005, 12:49 am »
Quote from: J North
Kevin,

Very exciting!

I like the crossover of the 125 at 8.5Khz. Should sound very very coherent for vocals and the such.

I wish something similar were possible with the Extremis, but the dip at 3Khz probably makes that more difficult.

How about a 3-way?
Extremis to 300Hz or so, 125 to 8Khz, Tweater on top?

Believe it or not we have a complex crossover that we listened to with the CS125 + tweeter and it sounded very good.   In blind testing I found it very hard to choose which sounded better.   We will offer schematics for the more complex crossover also as it measures better and the off-axis response is smoother.   I could live with either of them.   We went with the simpler crossover for the standard kit because it was a toss-up in terms of subjective performance and fewer parts meant a lower cost.   Bob & I also thought the people attracted to the CS125 would prefer a simple solution due to audio dogma.  ;-)

There is a three-way LCR in the works which will use the Extremis, CS125 & Usher.   After CES we are going to work on the MMT tower design & the LCR and call it good in terms of reference designs for the Extremis.   The 3K aberation is minor.....it has plenty of bandwidth for a similiar approach but the higher order crossover sounds better and allows us to get much better off-axis performance, IMD, on-axis smoothness etc.....    I could easily cook up a simple crossover design for those who are interested and they can compare and come to their own conclusions.   It is informative to do it with the CS125 as that is a good test case for comparing simple vs. complex crossover dogma.

Also.... there are a lot of developments coming down the pipe in Feb 2005.   We now have a complete production facility and the floodgates are opening in terms of new XBL^2 drivers coming out of the gate.   Some things are happening that are going to significantly change the way we operate.   Exodus Audio is getting it's own web site and all the speaker kits & subwoofers for the home market are moving onto that site.   I've placed the intial inventory order for 12 models of subwoofer drivers.   Most of them are new designs that we have developed and virtually all of them are XBL^2 drivers.  

Among the list of new drivers:

Tumult 18"

A line of mid-priced XBL^2 drivers that cover the $250-$390 range.   These drivers are optimized for use in the home in both sealed & ported boxes.   They are designed with the idea of keeping box size reasonable and one-way excursion is 26-27mm.

Updated Shiva/Tempest XBL^2 designs.   Expect these to lead the price/performance catagories.

Dmason

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2005, 01:33 am »
If I read those plots right, the Extremis should be able to output very useable bass fundamentals. Are we talking about true full range, in a two way monitor?

We need battery PSU inventions for the Hypex 180 module, and fries, to go....interesting times in Puget Sound...see you at CES.

audiojerry

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jan 2005, 02:35 am »
Kevin, will you be posting specs and pictures of the Extremis?l

Kevin P

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2005, 03:51 am »
Quote from: Dmason
If I read those plots right, the Extremis should be able to output very useable bass fundamentals. Are we talking about true full range, in a two way monitor?

We need battery PSU inventions for the Hypex 180 module, and fries, to go....interesting times in Puget Sound...see you at CES.

Oh yes.... it has plenty of extension.   Full range is an ambiguous term.   The measurements tell all when it comes to bottom end extension.  It is relatively easy to model with accuracy.   In fact it is easier than measuring.  

If Wiggins knows anything he certainly knows bass.   You can rest assured that when I say full range that I'm not talking fudged numbers and overexageration.   I'll publish both the measured data & pictures when we get closer to release.

Hypex has been in continuous supply issues since they released the modules.   We have both a two-channel & 5-channel solution once they get the supply situation in hand.   I built the 5-channel amp this week and we will be playing it at CES.

Other amplifier projects coming to fruitition are the LM4780 based amps.   I have parts in hand for the first 50 units and I'm just waiting on PCBs at the moment.

Kevin P

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jan 2005, 04:10 am »
Ohh.... and if your interested in bass.   The nex SX-12, SX-15, SX-18 series of subwoofer drivers are going to deliver.  

The SX-12 models well in a 3 ft^3 ported box (Rava size) and gives output similiar to the Sadhara.  The two model really close so they are almost the same in terms of output and distortion.  Power requirements are a humble 300W in the 3ft^3 to reach full potential.  Our ADA-300 will provide ample power and a couple bands of parametric EQ to provide unmatched output/flexibility to tame room modes.  

Home Theater Magazine reviewed the Sadhara along with a number of other bone crunchers.  

"Sadhara provided the most output down deep, with 110 dB at 25 Hz at only 7.5% THD.  In fact, reviewer Keith Yates noted that "Only when I compared it with the nearly $8,000 coffin-sized Genelec HTS6 subwoofer did the Sadhara seem to lack an authentically "ocean deep" quality".

Home Theater Magazine

http://www.hometheatermag.com/

The SX-12 will retail around $300 so it should provide plenty of output for the dollar in a reasonable sized enclosure.  We are looking at a couple low-priced amplifier solutions so that a DIYer could build this sub for less than $500 including amp, driver and enclosure.

SX-15 is the same XBL^2 motor with 26.5mm excursion.  It works well in a 6 ft^3 box and provides substantial output down to the 15HZ range.   In addition it will supply well over reference levels of output with vanishingly low distortion.   It also works well in sealed alignments.  Expect a retail price around $350 and it works well with the same 300W as the SX-12.

The SX-18 will be the real bone crusher with the same 26mm of excursion and works in 6 ft^3 sealed or 10 ft^3 ported.   The Vd of this beast is higher than that of the Tumult 15" (@more than $100 less)   Retail price should land around the $390 area.

Of course we will also have the Tumult 18" with 34mm of excursion.   This is the REAL beast and it is pretty much without competition.   Price should land in the $575 range.

Dmason

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jan 2005, 04:56 am »
Extreme ELF can rupture internals. Maybe you should have all purchasors sign off on a liability clause. :o ......... :lol:

J North

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jan 2005, 07:52 pm »
forgive my ignorance, but what does "LCR", stand for?

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jan 2005, 08:05 pm »
LCR often stands for Left, Centre, Right - as in 3 matched speakers that can be used in any of the 3 positions - typically a MTM design, that functions well either horizontally, or vertically.

I think that is what it stands for, in this case.

Kevin P

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jan 2005, 08:21 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr
LCR often stands for Left, Centre, Right - as in 3 matched speakers that can be used in any of the 3 positions - typically a MTM design, that functions well either horizontally, or vertically.

Correct.... ours will be a 3-way with the Extremis+CS125+Usher.

J North

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jan 2005, 10:00 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr

Thanks!

Being a 2-channel only guy, it makes sense that "LCR" is foreign to me.

ryno

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jan 2005, 11:37 pm »
Has anyone tried a sealed box?A 30L sealed with a qtc of 0.7 is 3db down at 75Hz, if my math is right. I'm using a sub for sure and allways liked the sound of a sealed box better than a ported. But , some speakers dont go both ways. Thanks Ryan

RAW

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2005, 05:20 am »
Yes as a fact I have them coming in a little smaller cabinet closed designs.
MT,MTM and aTMW (W is the extremis) all with a AC ribbon.

Time will tell.
But I can tell you the new 61 kit kicker for sure.

Al

Kevin P

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:41 pm »
It sounds best to me in the ported version we are using.   Sealed is easy though and you don't have to worry about overexcursion under port tuning.  

If you are going to listen in 2-channel in a reasonable room I'd port.   If you want to play music loud then you will either need to run them with some sort of rumble filter in the ported config or run them sealed.

RAW

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2005, 10:49 pm »
I agree with Kevin.
As the first MT that was done I did the network for and went to the Audio Fest in Denver.
Ported .3cft cabinet tuned to 55hz was very good.
But, I say but you going after high power handling I would lean to sealed.

But if tuned proper you can get a very clean ported design just as well.

Remember 1 thing.
These are only 4.5" driver not a 6"

Al

ryno

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:45 am »
Last questions
In the TMW, what do you use for a xover on the M
HP, LP, bandPass
What is the aprox box size on the W, ported I assume
I ordered the M's and might go 2 way, 3 way, biamp, who knows. To many options.
Ryan

RAW

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:52 am »
Designs are still being finished as far as networks.
Cabinet size for the Extremis.
Same as Dan has on the Adire site.
Tuned to 33hz.

Al

Coolzone

CSS WR125ST
« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2005, 05:52 pm »
Hey anybody got the size on the frame on WR125ST on the round diameter and the flat cut ?? :D

Bob Reimer

• http://www.creativesound.ca
Driver Dimensions
« Reply #39 on: 27 Jan 2005, 01:18 am »
The WR125ST frame is 125.5 mm in diamter and 108.5 mm at the flat or truncated section.

Bob