Nero Burning Rom- Verifying Data

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 28 Dec 2004, 07:00 am »
Does anyone here know just what "Verifying Burned Data" does with Nero Burning Rom?  It seems like the obvious would be that it compares the data on the DVD-R to the image on the HD- is that really what it does?  And will a positive result mean the disc is truly free of errors?  I've never used this feature before just now, and since it takes 2x as long I want to know if it's really worth it or not.

Levi

Re: Nero Burning Rom- Verifying Data
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:00 pm »
It basically compares data bits between burned copy against the original CD.  It does not however check for data integrity.  It does not verify for data errors or if the data is corrupted.  I turn this feature off as it just takes longer to finish the backup process.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:13 pm »
Actually I'm not using it for CDs- I was using it for burning DVDs.  And it works without the a DVD in the drive.  I therefore figured it was comparing the burned DVD with the image on the drive.  Is that not the case?

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:38 pm »
Yes.  It does not matter which media you are using e.g. disk-to-disk, tape, CD, DVD.  It uses data bits already in the memory or HDD to compare what is already written into the media.  Verify is a useless tool for me.  I am not sure about others.