Any Michael Franks fans?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Any Michael Franks fans?
« on: 28 Dec 2004, 06:18 am »
Or is he too wussy for you guys? :lol:   I've only got Dragonfly Summer, but I really like it a lot.  Eventually I'll probably have to get a few more of his older ones, too.  Assuming someone else here is into his music, what are some of his better albums?

mojoman

Any Michael Franks fans?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2004, 05:10 pm »
I used to listen to Michael Franks back in the late 70's/early 80's.  He always seemed to surround himself with some great studio musicians like Larry Carlton, Michael Brecker, Joe Sample and Wilton Felder from the Crusaders, David Sanborn and others.  Nothing mind boggling about his music but it was always well done.  I especially liked the albums  The Art of Tea and Sleeping Gypsy and would recommend them if you want to listen to some earlier stuff.  I need to pull those out and give a listen.  I haven't heard either of them in a while.

jswallac

Any Michael Franks fans?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2004, 05:54 pm »
I second "The Art of Tea."  Popsicle Toes is probably his best known song.  A great song about somebody with cold feet.  Franks' ability with lyrics sets him apart.  I have about a dozen or so of his albums/CDs.  In addition to The Art of Tea and Sleeping Gypsy, I recommend One Bad Habit and Tiger in the Rain.  And hey, real men are not afraid of admitting they listen to wussy music like Michael Franks.

BobM

Any Michael Franks fans?
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2004, 06:49 pm »
Dragonfly Summer is a really good disk. Sleeping Gypsy is the old one to get first. I also like Barefoot on the Beach.

Abandoned Garden is a bit more eclectic, not as sing-songy or pop-oriented as most of his work. I like this, but it may be more for true fans rather than the casual listener.

His music is perfect for those candlelight dinners or late night couch sessions with some good wine. But he's definitely not someone I would want to see live. I'd probably fall asleep at the show.

Enjoy,
Bob